Official Expansion Draft Day Thread

TrueBlue

Here's a summary...

Lions -  QB  Thomas DeMarco    / OG  Matt Albright    / DT  Andrew Marshall
Eskimos - WR  Carlton Mitchell /    OL  Alexander Krausnick    / DE  Justin Capiciotti
Stampeders    - QB  Kevin Glenn / OL  J'Michael Deane    / S  Eric Fraser
Roughriders    - OL  James Lee    DL / Keith Shologan / DL  Zack Evans
Blue Bombers - WR  Wallace Miles / LB/DB  James Green /    WR  Rory Kohlert
Argonauts - DL  Jonathan Williams    OL  Joe Eppele    / LB  Jason Pottinger
Tiger-Cats - RB  Chevon Walker / FB  John Delahunt / OL  Marwan Hage
Alouettes - DL  Moton Hopkins / FB  Patrick Lavoie / LB  Jordan Verdone

So who's the biggest loser ?

Here's a summary...

Lions -  QB  Thomas DeMarco    / OG  Matt Albright    / DT  Andrew Marshall

Eskimos - WR  Carlton Mitchell /    OL  Alexander Krausnick    / DE  Justin Capiciotti

Stampeders    - QB  Kevin Glenn / OL  J'Michael Deane    / S  Eric Fraser

Roughriders    - OL  James Lee    DL / Keith Shologan / DL  Zack Evans

Blue Bombers - WR  Wallace Miles / LB/DB  James Green /    WR  Rory Kohlert

Argonauts - DL  Jonathan Williams    OL  Joe Eppele    / LB  Jason Pottinger

Tiger-Cats - RB  Chevon Walker / FB  John Delahunt / OL  Marwan Hage

Alouettes - DL  Moton Hopkins / FB  Patrick Lavoie / LB  Jordan Verdone

So who's the biggest loser ?

Calgary or Saskatchewan.  Hard to believe that Fraser and Capiciotti were available in the 3rd round.  Kinda wish we would have made some trade offers on guys like that before the freeze.

Is Hage going to report to Ottawa?

Ottawa will have the best 2 TE sets in the league anyways.  Can never have enough fullbacks. :lol:

What's your take on the Argos losses, bluto?

Eppele stings. but we couldn't protect all of Holmes, Van Zeyl, Keeping and Eppele... (and we have Wayne Smith and Kyle Koch for depth and Matt Sewell whenever he's done his MBA so coach McAdoo has plenty to work with). Eppele's an excellent add for them on what has to already be considered a fair O-Line in terms of talent. Still think that he'll want to go west someday...

Jon Williams was a very good and unheralded player for us, but we have depth at DT/DE and will likely be adding there in camp anyway. i could see Williams being a mainstay in the league as well.

Pottsie hurts because he's a character guy and a leader... but we have Yurichuk and Tonye-Tonye who are younger and less injured. (hopefully one of these two will end up being a backup to Greenwood... but his future is murky right now)

we were always going to lose 3 good players. i was mentally prepared for it. hopefully our draft success continues and we continue to have games where we start 8 or 9 NIs.

Sask made out fine... Evans and shologan don't affect their ratio... And they kept their OL in tact plus butler, newman and hurl didn't get swiped

Calgary got torched - not sure what fraser did to be left unprotected

Walker and hage I guess were deemed expendable?

Some weird picks... But ottawa now has OL talent and depth that we can only dream about

And we can joke about picking FBs but lavoie is more receiver than fullback and a top talent

Ottawa is set at NI OL, has a starting rotation of NI DL, a good safety and two solid NI rec... Plus two QBs and a pretty decent running back

Desjardins was asked why he picked a pending FA in Kohlert and if he thought they could sign him and he replied with "not sure, but our options in Winnipeg were limited"

lol

Too funny.. I do sincerely hope we try our damnedness to get kohlert back in feb (if he doesnt re-up in rEDbLACK) as i really thought he came a long way in 2 seasons... Unless of course he has no desire to be here..

we just lost our only decent NI receiver...argh....

lol if you think Kohlert is our only decent NI receiver

Right...there's....hmmmmm....

Cory Watson & Jade Etienne?

OK. I guess....I really like Cory Watson when he does play. His best year was 2011, after that he hasn't been setting the world on fire. I also am still rooting for JE and was hoping for a big year from him, but then Kohlert stole his thunder. So - lets go Jade and Cory. I hope that Aprile reports for camp this year, that would be a bonus.

Three receivers chosen, of which Kohlert comes with the most experience, if he is resigned.  They may have to go hard for at least one or two more experienced targets that make it to FA.  That or they have to hope that scouting finds them some guys who are easy learners who can jump in right away.  Regardless, I think you are looking at a pretty junior receiving corps.

Not too mention, having a starting RB who is not known for his blocking.  They may be needing all those fullbacks after all. 

Ottawa will have a lot of cap room in free agency as well.   Be interesting to see if / how much they would have to over pay to attract the high end talent.

A lot of teams have also let contracts expire with the purpose of making them not attractive in the dispersal draft.  How many agents will be telling their clients to wait till February now so they can at the very minimum play Ottawa's offers against other teams.

i can't see Walters making a move like this (Kohlert) without having a solid reason for it. KW strikes me as too focused and detail oriented to have not already had discussions with Kohlert and his representatives. will give him the benefit of the doubt on this and presume that in the coming weeks i'll read about Walters already having been told that Kohlert wanted out of Winnipeg.

Just going by what he said before this draft I think Walters has a very good handle on what is going to happen with all the FAs from his team. If he left a guy like Kohlert open then it's likely either because he wasn't sure he would re-sign or he'd be an easy re-sign. I mean Walters very strongly implied that FAs who were left unprotected that the Bombers wanted to re-sign knew what the deal was. 

Not like there's a real shortage of NI receivers here either, there's lots of bodies that are possibilities. 

Calgary got bent over.

Without lube.

They have depth anyways.  Deane wasn't going to start for them and has a titanium rod in his leg, they'd obviously had enough of Fraser as well to leave him exposed behind 14 guys with MacDougall in reserve.

Saskatchewan lost both of their interior NI DL.

with Foley still with the team, I think they are going import on that DT position.

Calgary got bent over.

Without lube.

They have depth anyways.  Deane wasn't going to start for them and has a titanium rod in his leg, they'd obviously had enough of Fraser as well to leave him exposed behind 14 guys with MacDougall in reserve.

Saskatchewan lost both of their interior NI DL.

with Foley still with the team, I think they are going import on that DT position.

If Foley has to play a majority of the snaps, his effectiveness is going to plummet.

Interestingly, this Ottawa Redblacks team is much better than the 2013 Winnipeg Blue Bombers. 

Only if you're in some kind of bizzaro world.  They have one starting quality NI in Shologan.  Almost all of their OL are damaged goods or failed prospects, a couple are still prospects.

Hage and Eppele would stroll into the Bomber O-Line.

Interestingly, this Ottawa Redblacks team is much better than the 2013 Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Not interestingly, you feel that way..

It's a QB driven league, and they are significantly further along in that position (at least as of today). 

A GM and a good scout should be able to find capable if not great IMP receivers and DBs.

Speaking of capability, are you able to have a discussion without your usual ad hominems?