Official Expansion Draft Day Thread

TrueBlue

Kohlert was one of my favorite players.  He's not a flashy player but he catches everything that is thrown near him.  The guy is money. 

Here is an interesting tidbit from the Free Press this morning:

"Interestingly, a CFL source told the Free Press late Monday Kohlert had already agreed to terms with Winnipeg and wants to remain here. That leaves the possibility the 25-year-old Saskatchewan product could wait until February and re-sign with the Bombers as a free agent."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/draft-betters-blues-odds-on-collaros-236152441.html

I really hope he waits and re-signs with the Bombers. 

^ If that's the case why risk waiting until free agency and losing him?

Actually, if that's the case, that's the perfect way to expose somebody, knowing what the situation is.

By protecting him, they would have exposed someone else….maybe somebody they didn't know what the situation would be.

If true, it's the smart thing to have done.

Actually, if that's the case, that's the perfect way to expose somebody, knowing what the situation is.

By protecting him, they would have exposed someone else….maybe somebody they didn't know what the situation would be.

I disagree, if someone wants to leave yes leave them unprotected. But, when you're extremely weak at Canadian talent its a pretty big risk to leave one of your best players open. It won't be as easy as getting him to sign the same contract he had agreed upon, its extremely plausible someone outbids us or drives up the price in free agency. 

The risk just wouldn't be worth the reward in protecting Kohlert over say Volny in round three IMO.

I disagree, if someone wants to leave yes leave them unprotected. But, when you're extremely weak at Canadian talent its a pretty big risk to leave one of your best players open. It won't be as easy as getting him to sign the same contract he had agreed upon, its extremely plausible someone outbids us or drives up the price in free agency. 

The risk just wouldn't be worth the reward in protecting Kohlert over say Volny in round three IMO.

I'm not sure why this is surprising.  Walters made it obvious this was his plan.  To be honest, it was the first I'd heard of Kohlert not wanting to stay here, and from the sounds of the WFP that was bs anyway.

How can you say "they should have protected Kohlert over Volny" when you don't know the protected lists?  Not to mention they already have how many FBs?

I admit when I heard Kohlert called, I was a little "..." - but quickly got over it.  If he was going to leave, he was going to leave regardless.

If you trust a guy, and you trust that he'll go along with a side-deal that says "...Listen, we want you, but we can't protect everyone. You're a FA, so we're going to leave you unprotected and hopefully they take you. But don't worry...on Feb 15, we'll just turn around and sign the deal we've talked about..." then it's a brilliant move on the team's part. If this is really what ends up happening, then I love it. Good on Walters, good on Dough Alert, good for us and a giant f*** you to the ****** canoes who want their name in all caps.....win win win win..

If you trust a guy, and you trust that he'll go along with a side-deal that says "...Listen, we want you, but we can't protect everyone. You're a FA, so we're going to leave you unprotected and hopefully they take you. But don't worry...on Feb 15, we'll just turn around and sign the deal we've talked about..." then it's a brilliant move on the team's part. If this is really what ends up happening, then I love it. Good on Walters, good on Dough Alert, good for us and a giant f*** you to the ****** canoes who want their name in all caps.....win win win win..

At last, someone who feels like I do. Instead of this, "Hey, it's great for the CFL".... Or, "The redblacks have to have a good team or the team won't last" BS you get when someone dares to  say screw them. 

I'd probably feel a little more sympathetic, if this wasn't the billionth time we've had to resurecct and support a team from Ottawa. **** them and their never-ending futility. If they are successful on their own merit, then great. But not at the expense of our already-lousy team. 

Based on the news in the Free Press article, leaving Kohlert unprotected was an astute tactical move.  It's something I feel this club has lacked over the years.

If it works it's a brilliant tactical decision and even if it doesn't work out in the end, I think it was logical.

If Kohlert re-signs with the Bombers, (Which I really hope he does.), I won't feel sorry for Ottawa one bit.  They knew that picking a free agent was a big risk and they made that choice anyways.  I don't fault them for picking Kohlert, but I definitly won't feel bad either if they never get him.

I'm not sure why this is surprising.  Walters made it obvious this was his plan.  To be honest, it was the first I'd heard of Kohlert not wanting to stay here, and from the sounds of the WFP that was bs anyway.

So if he didn't want to leave then why risk losing him? It was clear we protected Henoc so why not Kohlert?

How can you say "they should have protected Kohlert over Volny" when you don't know the protected lists?  Not to mention they already have how many FBs?

It was an example, given our weak Canadian talent we barely have 12 players worth protecting. We would've been losing a player of around the caliber of Volny, and I'm not sure thats worth DECREASING our chances of re-signing Kohlert.

I admit when I heard Kohlert called, I was a little "..." - but quickly got over it.  If he was going to leave, he was going to leave regardless.

Yes IF he was going to leave I would've left him unprotected, but if he had already agreed to re-sign we're risking either losing him or having to pay him more money come free agency.

I'd probably feel a little more sympathetic, if this wasn't the billionth time we've had to resurecct and support a team from Ottawa. **** them and their never-ending futility. If they are successful on their own merit, then great. But not at the expense of our already-lousy team. 

Yeah, again feel the same way. They get a free pass at the qb position & we're left to struggle. I also get a sense that the City of Ottawa & the redblacks have a bit of self entitlement that WE owe THEM even though they ****** up twice. That the CFL better give us a good team or we won't support them. 

Based on the news in the Free Press article, leaving Kohlert unprotected was an astute tactical move.  It's something I feel this club has lacked over the years.

If it works it's a brilliant tactical decision and even if it doesn't work out in the end, I think it was logical.

If Kohlert re-signs with the Bombers, (Which I really hope he does.), I won't feel sorry for Ottawa one bit.  They knew that picking a free agent was a big risk and they made that choice anyways.  I don't fault them for picking Kohlert, but I definitly won't feel bad either if they never get him.

And Desjardins slammed the organization publicly by saying basically there wasn't even 3 players under contract to select so they had to choose Kohlert a free agent. I know our team is bad but to say we don't have 3 players under contract worth selecting? Well **** him. Shove it, Desjardins. 

And Desjardins slammed the organization publicly by saying basically there wasn't even 3 players under contract to select so they had to choose Kohlert a free agent. I know our team is bad but to say we don't have 3 players under contract worth selecting? Well **** him. Shove it, Desjardins. 

And also, Fuckk you Joe Mack for completely mismanaging the team to the point that a toilet paper franchise from Ottawa has a better roster and CDN depth.

Would this actually work though?  A gentleman's agreement like this is risky if this is a guy you really never wanted to lose. Winnipeg has lost communication with him now and have no control over what happens now that he is Ottawa's property.  It was big risk to take if this was indeed the plan because the negotiating window for MD has now opened up.  Here's the opportunity for them to use their resources exclusively to get Kohlert to sign an extension.  Remember that he's the only FA they have.  He's also Canadian and the most experienced receiver they have at the moment.

Maybe it happens as you say and Kohlert comes back in February, but if I was him, I'd be a little interested to hear what my new team is willing to offer me.  

Would this actually work though? A gentleman's agreement like this is risky if this is a guy you really never wanted to lose. Winnipeg has lost communication with him now and have no control over what happens now that he is Ottawa's property. It was big risk to take if this was indeed the plan because the negotiating window for MD has now opened up. Here's the opportunity for them to use their resources exclusively to get Kohlert to sign an extension. Remember that he's the only FA they have. He's also Canadian and the most experienced receiver they have at the moment.

Maybe it happens as you say and Kohlert comes back in February, but if I was him, I'd be a little interested to hear what my new team is willing to offer me.

again, as I said, its about whether or not you trust a guy and his agent. Do you risk something like this with Frito or Milt in their prime? Probably not. But with Dough Alert? The risk isn't that great.

, I'd be a little interested to hear what my new team is willing to offer me.  

you think he doesn't know what his value around the CFL is already? I don't know who his agent is but I guarantee that his agent knows the value of players in that position and there's not going to be a a huge deviation in what is offered for a guy like that so it will really come down to where he wants to be. 

well the bombers did have more FAs than anyone else, you could just look at it as they didn't have enough players under contract to leave anything appealing open to being taken. 

Yeah, again feel the same way. They get a free pass at the qb position & we're left to struggle. I also get a sense that the City of Ottawa & the redblacks have a bit of self entitlement that WE owe THEM even though they ****** up twice. That the CFL better give us a good team or we won't support them. 

This whole idea that Ottawa has to be good instantly is just sickening. All because they couldn't drum up support for the team twice before. Are we so desperate for a 9th team that we bend over for a market that has never been strong? Hopefully they do find some good players for the team though so that when the dispersal draft hits we can bolster our roster. 

Would this actually work though?  A gentleman's agreement like this is risky if this is a guy you really never wanted to lose. Winnipeg has lost communication with him now and have no control over what happens now that he is Ottawa's property.  It was big risk to take if this was indeed the plan because the negotiating window for MD has now opened up.  Here's the opportunity for them to use their resources exclusively to get Kohlert to sign an extension.  Remember that he's the only FA they have.  He's also Canadian and the most experienced receiver they have at the moment.

"lost communication" *wink*

On top of that ... there's also the possibility he's already signed a deal with Winnipeg.