Official Expansion Draft Day Thread

TrueBlue

If you trust a guy, and you trust that he'll go along with a side-deal that says "...Listen, we want you, but we can't protect everyone. You're a FA, so we're going to leave you unprotected and hopefully they take you. But don't worry...on Feb 15, we'll just turn around and sign the deal we've talked about..." then it's a brilliant move on the team's part. If this is really what ends up happening, then I love it. Good on Walters, good on Dough Alert, good for us and a giant f*** you to the ****** canoes who want their name in all caps.....win win win win..

Would this actually work though?  A gentleman's agreement like this is risky if this is a guy you really never wanted to lose. Winnipeg has lost communication with him now and have no control over what happens now that he is Ottawa's property.  It was big risk to take if this was indeed the plan because the negotiating window for MD has now opened up.  Here's the opportunity for them to use their resources exclusively to get Kohlert to sign an extension.  Remember that he's the only FA they have.  He's also Canadian and the most experienced receiver they have at the moment.

Maybe it happens as you say and Kohlert comes back in February, but if I was him, I'd be a little interested to hear what my new team is willing to offer me.  

"lost communication" *wink*

On top of that ... there's also the possibility he's already signed a deal with Winnipeg.

There's more of a grey area now whether we are in communication with him or not.  

Regardless of if he signed a deal already, we won't be able to enforce it until FA, which still buys MD 8 weeks of exclusivity,

, I'd be a little interested to hear what my new team is willing to offer me.  

you think he doesn't know what his value around the CFL is already? I don't know who his agent is but I guarantee that his agent knows the value of players in that position and there's not going to be a a huge deviation in what is offered for a guy like that so it will really come down to where he wants to be. 

Different situation in this scenario considering that it's Ottawa and that their Canadian depth is in all likelihood going to be pretty weak to start off with.  They may covet someone like Kohlert a little more considering he can likely start.  How many other teams NEED that, other than us?

I'd be surprised if desjardins can't get kohlert signed... Plus I'd rather be catching passes from glenn than ??

I just can't think of what 12 we protected instead of him... Watson, muamba, greaves, pencer, sorenson, etienne, swiston, thomas, morely, cauchy, poblah, volny... Seems kind of insulting.

Don't think of it as why we didn't protect Kohlert (FA).

Think of it more as…. if they didn't figure it would be Kohlert because he was a FA, who do we now still have, did they expect to lose?

Probably someone along the lines of Sherman, Volny, Fitzgerald or Rene Stephan I'd wager.

I'm not sure any of those guys are worth risking losing Kohlert.

Ottawa got Kohlert because Walters didn't think they'd select a free agent which was the correct way to go as other CFL teams did the same judging by the flurry of signings going on. Walters may say publicly that he wasn't surprised but I bet he fell out of his chair when it happened. I bet a few 4 letter words were uttered in his office, especially if a deal was in place to be signed right after the draft. 

Don't think of it as why we didn't protect Kohlert (FA).

Think of it more as…. if they didn't figure it would be Kohlert because he was a FA, who do we now still have, did they expect to lose?

Probably someone along the lines of Sherman, Volny, Fitzgerald or Rene Stephan I'd wager.

I'm not sure any of those guys are worth risking losing Kohlert.

How hard is it to understand that kohlert is an FA and walk away at anytime come feb 15th. Id rather lose 2 months of negotiations versus a solid special teamer or potential backup at a ratio breaker spot..

Also, that if he really wants to be here that he probably has A deal in place..

• 1 month later...

How many NIs did we have on the roster at the time of the expansion draft? Considering the third round had 12 NI players protected (I would guess Henoc was the only potential FA protected) and we had 11 or 12 potential FAs, how many signed players could there have been for them to choose from.