Penton: Walters Will Be GM Soon

Noeller

That being said nobody knows who has access to what sources for information so there perhaps is substance to what oters might consider pure speculation. True or false?

And that being said, anyone who has real sources should realize that even their sources have biases and may twist what they hear to suit their own viewpoint or agenda.

Like a company insider who complains about how horribly the company is run, when in reality the company runs fine and the insider is actually just a terrible employee.

That being said nobody knows who has access to what sources for information so there perhaps is substance to what oters might consider pure speculation. True or false?

If you want to play that game, I could easily give you three names they had more than one conversation with about the GM position. Other than Kyle Walters.

If you want to play that game, I could easily give you three names they had more than one conversation with about the GM position. Other than Kyle Walters.

cmon gimme gimme gimme

• 2 years later...
1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Walters might get another kick at it if he fires MOS mid season. If the season is a disaster and everyone plays it out, it might be a Wade Miller house cleaning. 

But the guy who built the organization will stay? Lovely.

Interesting looking at the comments from 3 years ago...

On 11/22/2013 at 2:49 PM, Mike said:

Not worried about Walters as GM.

On 11/22/2013 at 2:51 PM, Mr. Perfect said:

X2 - Walters will be just fine. People will have to move on and find other things to bellyache about.

Are you two worried yet?

On 11/22/2013 at 4:02 PM, 17to85 said:

I don't mind Walters getting a shot, I just think that right now given what this team has gone through since 2009 a more experienced person would have looked better. Now granted there maybe aren't a lot of those guys available, the optics of this looks kinda iffy. 

Sadly, it looks that way.

On 11/22/2013 at 10:05 PM, Adrenaline_x said:

Pretty sure there was the same reaction when Mack was hired by some. Not worried. Imwt and all that.

Walters seems like a good football man to have in the organization, but i fail to see how he is any bit qualified to handle such an enormous task as transforming a horrible team that has been mostly crap since 2008 into a highly competitive team that push for division champions each year.

Cis coach to shitty st coach to assistant GM to intermin GM, Not seeing the cfl experience in building a great team from the dog pile we currently are. Sure he has CIs experience but how does that translate into the cfl?

I rather someone like Higgins or someone with similar amounts of experience helping manage teams that have turned from crap into top 4 teams in the league.

Settling with Walters May turn out to be great, but i don't understand our perpetual gravitation to rookie management hires..

His recruiting from the US leaves a lot to be desired.  Might be the weakest of the 9 teams.  His drafting has been decent but hardly outstanding which is what we were hoping for from a CIS guru.

On 11/23/2013 at 8:12 AM, pigseye said:

Success or failure will all fall at Wades feet with these hires, maybe he will surprise us.

Looks like a bad start so far. 0 for 2.

On 11/26/2013 at 3:28 PM, Rich said:

I think my issue with this is we really don't know what search went on or didn't.

We hear bits and pieces of who we may have asked permission to talk to, who we have talked to and who we didn't talk to.  But no one really knows what has gone on.   Most teams have been out of playoff picture for weeks now.  It is possible that discussions, formal or not, have gone on with other individuals.

And out of respect to people who didn't get the job, all of that should not be publicized.

On the other hand, this organization has a track record of simply hiring the people / coaches who are present and / or interim solutions.   So I can most certainly understand people's skepticism.  

I'm really on the fence on this.  It is another wait and see year to see what they will and can do.   If they strike out this time  though, I'm not sure how many more at bats they have before they start doing some serious damage to the fan base and retaining and attracting paying customers.

Unfortunately, this is starting to look like one of those sketchy interim solutions unless there is a dramatic turnaround.  Looks like the skepticism was warranted.  

We have already seen the season ticket base decline from 24,000 to below 20,000 (I have heard as low as 18,000)  in the 3 years the Miller regime has been in charge.  Hopefully we can pull of two wins in the next 3-4 weeks to give the fans some hope, but if not I would have to think the walkup crowd will all but disappear and we will see another decline in season ticket sales.

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

Don't I know that...

If the Bombers miss the playoffs I wouldn't mind a clean sweep of the organization from top to bottom, including Miller.  He will be given another shot though and I shudder to think what will happen if the next hire is as underwhelming as this one appears.

If nothing changes and Miller, Walters, and O'Shea ride this thing out until season's end, how much damage can we anticipate to the football club if we have a 3 and 15, or similar, season? Is it just a matter of losing fan support or will the damage be more extensive than that?

Another good read is the thread about Burris being nearly signed to Winnipeg, and the thread I started a while back in 2013 about who the Bombers should go after. I listed Tate, Burris, Collaros, and Ray. Didn't even mention Willy until later when I said "could have included Willy". Lots of interesting comments about how people would prefer Willy over Burris. He certainly came with a lot of hype ... maybe generated by the unwashed masses in SSk.

3 hours ago, J5V said:

If nothing changes and Miller, Walters, and O'Shea ride this thing out until season's end, how much damage can we anticipate to the football club if we have a 3 and 15, or similar, season? Is it just a matter of losing fan support or will the damage be more extensive than that?

Can't see a disastrous season of 3 or 4 wins occurring, the schedule pretty much dictated that they were in for a tough start not withstanding a miracle turn-around.  As we see QB's begin to fall throughout the league unexpected opportunities present themselves for wins.  Ti-Cats, Riders and Als are all ripe for the picking now but unfortunately none of those teams are on the dance card in the next few weeks and by that time they face the Ti-Cats again they will have Collaros back.  Bad luck abounds from a schedule perspective.

If they continue to put in the effort and can improve the O production they should be a competitive team by mid-season, yes their over-all record will suck but they should become a good team if they can resolve their immediate QB woes.  Sometimes it just happens that a team begins to look good in the second half of a season and they start the next with a bang at the next level up.

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Can't see a disastrous season of 3 or 4 wins occurring, the schedule pretty much dictated that they were in for a tough start not withstanding a miracle turn-around.  As we see QB's begin to fall throughout the league unexpected opportunities present themselves for wins.  Ti-Cats, Riders and Als are all ripe for the picking now but unfortunately none of those teams are on the dance card in the next few weeks and by that time they face the Ti-Cats again they will have Collaros back.  Bad luck abounds from a schedule perspective.

If they continue to put in the effort and can improve the O production they should be a competitive team by mid-season, yes their over-all record will suck but they should become a good team if they can resolve their immediate QB woes.  Sometimes it just happens that a team begins to look good in the second half of a season and they start the next with a bang at the next level up.

Hope you're right :)

6 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It was a tough schedule to start, for sure, but, we did catch a break already with hamilton and massoli and picked up the win. but, we also lost to montreal in a winnable game vs a pretty bad team (whos only win so far is from us). We had a winnable game against Edmonton too but couldn't score enough in the 2nd half.

I don't think, if this team goes 1-6, that the city will care about scheduling. 1-6 means MOS is probably fired. And rightfully so. That's really the bottom line here. They have 3 changes to save MOS' job. I think our best chance is against Calgary at home but our record vs them is dismal.  I'd legitimately wager my house we lose in Edmonton. The question is will it be a blow out or not. After that, if we are winless, MOS -MAY- get a 3rd shot to save job against Hamilton. That's a very winnable game with our D. 

MOS has lots of chances to save his job, and it likely starts with Nichols getting in behind centre.

So, the fans will supposedly overlook the meager results (yet again) so far.......tolerate some more of this losing in the short term, and then simply hang the hats on some sort of theoretical "run" based on 2nd half schedule.   Pretty thin gruel.. which will not and should not satisfy anyone.

In a drought, you need to quench the thirst....not gaze in the distance...at a mirage of an oasis.   If we are sitting at 2-7, or 1-8 or something....the well of patience will be a pretty dry hole, indeed..

Edited by do or die

The end of our season's as tough as the beginning with Ottawa and BC twice each. You know them right? The two top teams in the league right now.

Sadly, it looks like Labour day and the Banjo bowl will be our big games again this season. Regina has a better offense than we have even with Gale in for Durant. We have a better defense than they do, so it will be strength against strength and weakness against weakness which will make for a couple of good games that likely won't matter much when it comes to playoff spots.

I don't think there's any way the team can be as bad as 3-15 this year.  But if they go say 6-12 and miss the playoffs, the Board will have no choice but to move on from the current regime.  Three years in the CFL is way more than enough time for a GM to build a competitive team.  Anyone who wants to gamble on a 4th year of mediocrity frankly isn't putting the best interest of the team and the fans first.  The franchise can't afford another year of fewer and fewer fans in the seats.  

There was a lot of suggestion after two bad years that the current regime be replaced.  But it was fair to give them a third year.  But if this is another really bad year - and it's still too early to be sure of that - management changes will be a must.

2 hours ago, Dr. Blue said:

The whole argument about how difficult a schedule is, based on who we play, is garbage. If you want to be the best, you need to beat the best. When we are constantly at the bottom of the league looking up we will always have a difficult schedule...

Agreed - don't get this. There's only eight other teams. What exactly is a weak schedule? Bombers are in tough no matter who is on the dance card with them, and where it's being played. That's just a fact. Bombers have a 'tough' schedule all the way through the season lol. 

1 minute ago, KptKrunch said:

Agreed - don't get this. There's only eight other teams. What exactly is a weak schedule? Bombers are in tough no matter who is on the dance card with them, and where it's being played. That's just a fact. Bombers have a 'tough' schedule all the way through the season lol. 

Ya.  When your one of the two worst teams in the league every game is tough.