Bombers Release Hefney

Actually I figured out what bothers me about this whole situation. I don't think any of us can actually say whether this was about his production, his recent arrest/antics or a combination of both but it was more than likely a combination of it all. I didn't love the Twitter junk or the arrogance either but there are arrogant jerks on every team in the CFL and pretty much no other teams seem to take issue with it (other than a Arland Bruce a couple times but it's the exception rather than the rule) Even Khalif Mitchell, a man resoundlingly hated by his teammates and opponents was at least traded for his fresh start. I am an eternal optimist when it comes to the Bombers but in this case, I see no silver lining. If it's about the weed thing? We better hope that they don't start taking this more seriously because the entire league will fold.

I wonder if Hef was ever the same after the NFL fell through?  He wouldn't be the first to realize that the dreams of big money were never going to happen and take his foot off the gas a bit.  Anyway, I still thought he was pretty good.  But maybe a little bit of a cancer or at least bad influence in the room.  

Good luck to the guy.  He was fun to watch.  I vote Edmonton.  

Release every player that regularly uses marijuana and see what happens.

And no ****. It was an overdramatization for effect.

I don't think its that he uses marijuana.. I think it's that he got caught. Unfortunately drug charges ( no matter how small they are) reflect negatively for the football club. Don't get me wrong I needed to smoke just to get through that 2012 season and if he wants to smoke a little weed I don't judge.. Like I said don't get caught!

I don't disagree with that sentiment. Getting caught is far, far worse than smoking up (and it's unfortunate that one of our best defenders is one of the few in recent memory in the CFL that has recieved this charge) but I just don't see any other team making this move. Perhaps it's because of the state of the franchise that they can't afford any more bad press but I still don't think the punishment fit the crime.

Tim Burke warned the D there would be changes if play did not improve. When Hefney couldn't step with with better play, despite some turf toe, Burke shows the player the door. I'm not an expert at judging DB play, but take into consideration too that this is a very young club that needs leadership rather than distractions from veteran players. In fact, team chemistry appears to be of the issues coaches and management seem to be trying to address - because when you look at the depth chart there are precious few vets on this team who could be described as leaders. Buck Pierce I guess would be one. And Terence Edwards. Certainly not Hefney.

what i dont understand is Burke is willing to cut vets who he think lost a step but continually cuddle Pierce who is not productive for the majority of his stay in Blue&Gold.

I think we've seen Pierce has his own set of rules now (not that I agree with it - I am firmly in favour of starting NotBuckPierce at QB).