Bombers Release Hefney

Honestly not completely surprised by this.  Let's look at what was working against him:

- Decreased play last year

- Made some negative headlines with Twitter

- Burke unhappy with the veteran defensive backs

- Hefney's pot charge comes out

- Bombers look awful on Wednesday

Obviously not all those are weighted equally but things piled up against him.

According to Bob Irving on Twitter, the Bombers feel Hef has lost a step...

well they weren't likely to say his play had improved after cutting him. 

in this case i'd say they were right that his play had dropped off... "lost a step" implies that his athleticism has faded which would be weird in a 28 year old.

pardon me while i go sift through the other Hefney thread and read about how he could be traded for multiple picks since he'd pretty much walk into any other team's starting 12...

place your bets...

Hamilton, Toronto, Saskatchewan...? an eastern team looking to rip-off Burke's playbook? or nobody willing to take in a problem child?

This is a wayyyy overstated phenomenon.  The only way that type of information would be useful would be if a guy was in on practice the week of the game, was cut the day before the game and picked up by the other team knowing the game plan and anything out of the ordinary that might be coming.  Especially for what a guy like Hefney would know.  Defences (Burke especially) don't use that many coverages and everyone has the film to see what teams are doing anyways.

Can't say I'm thrilled about this, especially since he looked decent in very limited action in the preseason game and this was hardly enough time to get enough of the details about the weed charge too. Hefney is 5x the DB Jovon will ever be and yet he sticks around while Hef takes the fall.

I really can't quite put my finger on it but this just doesn't sit well with me at all. The timing is incredibly weird and it most certainly makes our team worse.

Can't say I'm thrilled about this, especially since he looked decent in very limited action in the preseason game and this was hardly enough time to get enough of the details about the weed charge too. Hefney is 5x the DB Jovon will ever be and yet he sticks around while Hef takes the fall.

I really can't quite put my finger on it but this just doesn't sit well with me at all. The timing is incredibly weird and it most certainly makes our team worse.

JJ brings a lot to the return game!