Bombers Release Hefney

I thought Kent was cut because they had younger, better athletes they wanted to keep. Their plan seemed to be to find places for youth and worry where they will play later, just as it is now.

There were some DBs in camp last season that they wanted to keep like Washington. But the plan had been to put Hefney in at SAM until he told the media he didn't want to play there.

Of course he'll be discussing it Sunday...

Release a guy Saturday - Get asked about it Sunday...

That's kinda how the press works.

Thanks for the hot tip, ModAdmin...

Actually, bluto, the Manitoba Marathon was held Sunday with the start and finish lines at the UoM. The Bombers had to get special passes to get on campus Sunday. I'm not sure whether the media covering the Bombers would have needed to get special passes as well since they wouldn't have been there to cover the marathon but it's possible. ModAdmin was just passing along information that the Bombers released.

Couple of interesting quotes from Burke:

Original Story Here

Nearly a full day after the announcement, Burke emphasized it was Hefney's play that dictated the outcome.

"The decision to release Jonathan was based on several aspects but primarily it was performance-based," Burke said. "We just didn't feel like he could perform some of the tasks necessary to be a halfback in this league, that fit in with our defence.

"And so that was the biggest factor. We had talked to him about moving to the nickel position this year and he decided he would rather play halfback. We tried to move him to a position that would better suit his talent level and that's the way it goes.

"So I think you'll probably see him get picked up by somebody else. If they utilize him in a different role, he could probably be successful."

seems pretty straightforward.... Burke tells Hefney he's not good enough to play halfback anymore but he would fit at nickle... Hefney stubbornly refuses to do that and he was cut. Guy really should have played the position... he's good at it! Never understand why a guy won't play what ever position the coaches ask of him. 

What's with all this 'couldn't hack it at HB'...  SAM is one, if not the, toughest positions on D.

Another weird TC...  we'll head into the season with a new SAM, WIL, HB, S (at least)....  and then I wouldn't be surprised at all if our OL is exactly the same as last year.

We'll find out pretty soon whether our OL looked good because Elliott was good at play-action or if they actually did 'gel'.

What's with all this 'couldn't hack it at HB'...  SAM is one, if not the, toughest positions on D.

Another weird TC...  we'll head into the season with a new SAM, WIL, HB, S (at least)....  and then I wouldn't be surprised at all if our OL is exactly the same as last year.

We'll find out pretty soon whether our OL looked good because Elliott was good at play-action or if they actually did 'gel'.

It's the place that older dbs who are slowing down have been moved to in order to extend their careers for over a decade! It's harder in the mental sense but doesn't require the same amount of speed, which is why it's a good place for veterans to move to. They lose some speed but make up for it with the veteran experience. 

seems pretty straightforward.... Burke tells Hefney he's not good enough to play halfback anymore but he would fit at nickle... Hefney stubbornly refuses to do that and he was cut. Guy really should have played the position... he's good at it! Never understand why a guy won't play what ever position the coaches ask of him. 

Something that should have been hashed out before they offered him a new contract and a 35K (About half the salary of the guy who will replace him) bonus.  Something like... Hefney, we are offering you this contract to compete for the SAM spot, not the halfback spot.  If you want to try halfback, we will let you go to free agency.  

Something that should have been hashed out before they offered him a new contract and a 35K (About half the salary of the guy who will replace him) bonus.  Something like... Hefney, we are offering you this contract to compete for the SAM spot, not the halfback spot.  If you want to try halfback, we will let you go to free agency.  

Bah too many people worrying about the bonus. I think he earned a chance in camp based on his status with the team, if it costs 35 grand so be it. They gave him a chance to extend his career by switching positions and he didn't take it so be it. that bonus isn't going to make or break the team for one year. Just a lot of people searching for something to complain about. 

To me the only thing that is a legitimate point of contention is whether or not a trade could have been made to get something out of it, but that's a more complicated issue that just winds up with a lot of speculation. 

stop being reasonable!

what's unreasonable about giving a player of that status a 2nd chance to earn his spot in the secondary? 

nothing. but i think that TBurgess' proposal to have things straightened out with the player prior to an agreement for a bonus is just common sense.

It's the place that older dbs who are slowing down have been moved to in order to extend their careers for over a decade! It's harder in the mental sense but doesn't require the same amount of speed, which is why it's a good place for veterans to move to. They lose some speed but make up for it with the veteran experience. 

Maybe ten years ago.  Sam is a different position now, look at all the guys around the league - these are lean, fast players.

Vets are not moved to SAM because they have 'lost a step', they are moved there because you need to know the game inside and out.  Maybe its not every D but Burke's style FOR SURE revolves around the nickelback position... (but maybe he's changed that after last year... ahem, cough, cough)

All of this sounds like a smoke screen to me. Bad press + more bad press + promising rookies = cut Hefney.

You can argue that his play dropped off, or he was a 'cancer' in the locker room... whatever the case, I think Hefney is now a bit of a scapegoat so that Burke can say he's sticking to his guns on discipline. I don't buy any of what the Bombers are selling when it comes to Hefneys release.

If there is a bright side... you can't unearth the next great starter til the old one moves aside. Still sad to see my favorite (recent) Bomber get shafted like this.

if Burkes defense revolved around the nickleback Clint Kent never would have been there. Guy was never a really good db, but he did fit at the position. Let's compromise and say that SAM is more about smarts than physical abilities while a db can quite easily make up for lack of experience or smarts with their physical attributes. 

Further, I don't think the Bombers EVER had any intention of moving Hefney around or cutting him when he got his bonus. Further strengthening my smoke screen argument. If this whole pot bust never came about, Hefney would still be a Bomber I think.

But the pot thing is really a minor issue. If you want to start cutting CFL players who smoke a little pot you're going to be cutting a lot of people... There's a lot better reasons to cut Hefney than that and that's why I don't believe that it has anything to do with it. Burke has been talking about how unhappy he was with the veteran dbs for a lot longer than that pot thing has been around so who do we think he was talking about when he mentioned that? It's obviously 2 guys, Hefney and Johnson and at least Johnson is a better team player. 

Burke just stated on CTV news that there was a noticeable decline in his training camp performance and that, with his drop in performance last year, led to this decision.

So clearly, he was given another chance to step up..and he didn't.

But the pot thing is really a minor issue. If you want to start cutting CFL players who smoke a little pot you're going to be cutting a lot of people... There's a lot better reasons to cut Hefney than that...

To be clear, I don't want to start cutting said players for such a minor thing, and I don't really buy all the other 'better' reasons to cut him either. Other players who undoubtedly smoke weed (at the very least) haven't had their names publicly dragged through the mud to the degree Hefney had his; first with Twitter yappiness last year, and again with a pot bust this year. I concede it would be an odd time for Bomber management to start worrying about public opinion now, but I truly feel like this bad press ultimately led to Hefney being released, and we are a worse team because of it.

At least now we'll probably get to see a lot more of Demond Washington and Johnny Sears.

To be clear, I don't want to start cutting said players for such a minor thing, and I don't really buy all the other 'better' reasons to cut him either. Other players who undoubtedly smoke weed (at the very least) haven't had their names publicly dragged through the mud to the degree Hefney had his; first with Twitter yappiness last year, and again with a pot bust this year. I concede it would be an odd time for Bomber management to start worrying about public opinion now, but I truly feel like this bad press ultimately led to Hefney being released, and we are a worse team because of it.

At least now we'll probably get to see a lot more of Demond Washington and Johnny Sears.

I just don't buy that it had anything to do with his release. Burke had been threatening to cut a veteran db from day 1, this is just the natural progression of it.

Some comments from Lawless a few moments ago on H&L., take them for what you will. Apparently Burke wanted to part ways with Hefney on Tuesday when the charges came out, but Mack wanted to wait. After reviewing the game film, Burke again approached Mack, to which he obviously gave his approval.