Bombers Release Hefney

So why is this NOT a conversation they had before giving him a huge signing bonus in January? Burke is not a new coach, he had time to figure this out.

This is just a stupid move altogether.

Is the money really that big an issue?  Maybe Burke wanted to see if Hef could step up his play this year in camp and Hef didn't do enough to survive.  Also the pot charge could have affected it as well and that was new info.

So why is this NOT a conversation they had before giving him a huge signing bonus in January? Burke is not a new coach, he had time to figure this out.

This is just a stupid move altogether.

you know what, if Hefney isn't willing to do what the team feels is in the teams best interest then you really have to part ways with the guy. Yeah he's got talent.... but me first players need to be replaced with guys all pulling in the same direction. 

you know what, if Hefney isn't willing to do what the team feels is in the teams best interest then you really have to part ways with the guy. Yeah he's got talent.... but me first players need to be replaced with guys all pulling in the same direction. 

but Mike's point still stands: they could've parted ways before giving him a salary bonus...

but Mike's point still stands: they could've parted ways before giving him a salary bonus...

I wish he would have just done what he was asked and played nickel. The team would be much better off for it. I also wish Mack & Burke had sorted this out with him before they paid him $35k for a couple weeks of training camp.

The conversation would be a lot different if they had cut him in January.  Whereas we're arguing about money right now, I think people would have been more upset had we not brought him to camp.  It's not like the Bombers are in a position to let go of ANY talent they have right now, even if a player like Hefney had a big drop off last year.  This is even excluding the party the media and some fans would have had to pull out their overused meme of "THE BOMBERS ARE CHEEEEEEEAAAAP!"

The conversation would be a lot different if they had cut him in January.  Whereas we're arguing about money right now, I think people would have been more upset had we not brought him to camp.  It's not like the Bombers are in a position to let go of ANY talent they have right now, even if a player like Hefney had a big drop off last year.  This is even excluding the party the media and some fans would have had to pull out their overused meme of "THE BOMBERS ARE CHEEEEEEEAAAAP!"

yeah, it's one of those damned if you do - damned if you don't scenarios... but at least if they'd have done it Mike's way they could've put the cash (and more time) into finding Hefney's replacement at HB/Nickel

yeah, it's one of those damned if you do - damned if you don't scenarios... but at least if they'd have done it Mike's way they could've put the cash (and more time) into finding Hefney's replacement at HB/Nickel

Really depends on how much emphasis you point on the money and time. Personally I don't think either are huge issues. Regarding the money, I doubt getting rid of Hefney would have resulted in us going out and landing someone else or even handing out a bigger deal to someone but that's just my opinion. The time concern is minimal. No different than other player cuts. We won't be the only team to cut a starter, this is whole purpose of camp. If you don't perform you lose your spot.

Really depends on how much emphasis you point on the money and time. Personally I don't think either are huge issues. Regarding the money, I doubt getting rid of Hefney would have resulted in us going out and landing someone else or even handing out a bigger deal to someone but that's just my opinion. The time concern is minimal. No different than other player cuts. We won't be the only team to cut a starter, this is whole purpose of camp. If you don't perform you lose your spot.

disagree. Mack is competing for CFL prospects against 7 other GMs. i'd rather recruit in January when there's still plenty of fish in the sea than in mid-June.

disagree. Mack is competing for CFL prospects against 7 other GMs. i'd rather recruit in January when there's still plenty of fish in the sea than in mid-June.

he brought in a lot of db`s. obviously he still recruited a lot of db's with hefney under contract.

You know what, I got no problems giving a guy like that, who was arguably the teams best defensive player for a couple seasons a chance to change his ways even if it costs some cash upfront. Hefney was a damned good player for the bombers. Now whether they should have cut him outright or if they coulda leveraged a token draft pick out of some team or not is a different matter entirely.

It's not one standalone decision that doesn't make sense, it's that once you piece together the chain of events, it's very strange.

Put all these statements together.

"You paid a guy 35k upfront to sign a new deal in January"

"You thought he suffered from a drop off in play last year"

"You wanted him to switch positions and discussed it with him in June"

"You cut him for football reasons after a misdemeanor charge prior to camp"

That doesn't add up.

No excuses on not being able to trade him for something... No one is ever going to trade with us because they know we'll drop them in an instant.

It would be nice if this team could acquire known talent instead of continually losing it.

It's not one standalone decision that doesn't make sense, it's that once you piece together the chain of events, it's very strange.

Put all these statements together.

"You paid a guy 35k upfront to sign a new deal in January"

"You thought he suffered from a drop off in play last year"

"You wanted him to switch positions and discussed it with him in June"

"You cut him for football reasons after a misdemeanor charge prior to camp"

That doesn't add up.

Well it could be a coach and GM on different wavelengths or it could indicate a team that wanted to kepe the guy because of his history with the team but said guy kept giving them reasons to dump him... 

I know Hefney was a real popular Bomber and one of the best on the team for a while, but the guy is also a bad attitude and we saw how that went last season... I see this as giving a guy a 2nd chance and him not recognizing that he needed to change and got released because of it.  I just don't see the point in being too upset over this. I don't believe Hefney at this stage is THAT good that it's an insurmountable loss. 

It will be interesting to see if this is another Clint Kent debacle? Mack made the mistake of last season. He wanted to gun Kent but wasn't smart enough to A) have identified or brought in competition for his replacement and B) done it in the off season so his teammates could have mourned the loss a d got over it. The only good thing is a SAM is more difficult to replace than a DB. Small conciliation .

Kent was a coaching decision. And they had identified a replacement but he refused to play the position.

Apparently it was solely Burkes decision and once again Hef refused to move to Nickel (SAM LB) this season.

when i read that it came clear to me that Hef doesn't deserve to be with this team. I know he's a good player but I dont want me-first attitude in this team. we've suffer a full season of SAM problem last year because as much as he is an upgrade to Kent he doesnt want to play there. Burke seen enough and Im good with his decision.