Bombers Release Hefney

I have no problem with the team getting rid of Hefney.... what I don't like is the fact that they couldn't trade him for anything???   How in the world can they not get anything not even a late pick at least for him.   At least that way we can dictate where he goes to so he isn't playing for Toronto which more then likely what will happen??

How can they make a rash decision cutting him but don't have the cahjones to cut Pierce who clearly is on a huge decline.    

The odds of this blowing up in our face is much higher then it working out in the end..... 

Once you're on the trading block teams have the option to wait it out for his release if there isn't a high demand.  Hefney will land somewhere quickly, but I doubt teams were THAT interested that they were willing to give something up for him.

What I don't understand is why resign a guy in the offseason and then turn around and say he's lost a step when you cut him. If this about his legal troubles then this is BS.

IMO, the way Burke has been talking to the media all camp, it was like he had his mind made up he was going to cut a vet before camp even started. Too bad he cut the wrong one.

What I don't understand is why resign a guy in the offseason and then turn around and say he's lost a step when you cut him. If this about his legal troubles then this is BS.

IMO, the way Burke has been talking to the media all camp, it was like he had his mind made up he was going to cut a vet before camp even started. Too bad he cut the wrong one.

LOL!  The wrong one? One of those other vets that got busted for pot and didn't disclose it?

I don't like this move at all, just because it makes no sense if you compare it to other NON moves.

That being said, I am somewhat glad that there is a way to fit Washington/Sears on the field at the same time now, but I have my reservations about Markett as a DI since he's a pure CB and offers no value at SAM or HB as a support player.

LOL!  The wrong one? One of those other vets that got busted for pot and didn't disclose it?

Fair enough, I just think Hefney is a superior player over Johnson and if Burke wanted to send a message by cutting someone in the secondary, I would rather of it been Johnson.

Obviously not disclosing it was a big mistake on Hefney's part, but I don't see why it couldn't have just been a fine and everyone move along.

It will be interesting to see if this is another Clint Kent debacle? Mack made the mistake of last season. He wanted to gun Kent but wasn't smart enough to A) have identified or brought in competition for his replacement and B) done it in the off season so his teammates could have mourned the loss a d got over it. The only good thing is a SAM is more difficult to replace than a DB. Small conciliation .

If you were head coach, didn't like Elliott or Brink and cut them.. .. Would you be comfortable going into season with Goltz hall and clement?

If I was a smart coach I wouldn't of let myself get into this situation.    A smart coach would of axed Buck and kept Elliott and then have an open competition and hopefully Hall or  Goltz steps up and takes the job.

And who of that lot had demonstrated that they were in fact a bonivide starter? At some point people might want to look at who is the OC. As of last season this is starting to resemble the Mike Kelly era with no clear understanding of the CFL offensive game.

If I was a smart coach I wouldn't of let myself get into this situation.    A smart coach would of axed Buck and kept Elliott and then have an open competition and hopefully Hall or  Goltz steps up and takes the job.

a smart coach who wanted to get fired maybe.  Keep Elliot - yeah don't think so.

The amount of times Burke talked about how the secondary needed to pick it up or he didn't like the effort from the veteran dbs you had to expect something like this happening. I really don't think that this had anything to do with the pot bust, I think they were just looking to make a change at db from day one and Hefney was the guy they put on notice and he didn't respond in the way they wanted.

That being said I'm not convinced this was a well thought out move and the potential repercussions, in the lockeroom were considered. This sort of move can motivate, can generate fear or can cause desension. You calculate the upside.

The Bombers cut out a cancer in the dressing room. What's not to like about this? They'll find another DB to take his place. If there's one thing that abounds it's American  defensive backs.

1. #Bombers head Tim Burke does expect Hefney to get picked up by another #CFL organization. Had a meeting with DBs last night about decision

2. Burke asked Hefney to move to nickelback position again this season but Hefney prefers to play halfback #Bombers

3. Tim Burke said it was ultimately his decision and not GM Joe Mack's to release Jonathan Hefney and decision was mostly performance based

4. Demond Washington is leading candidate to replace Hefney in secondary, said he feels much more comfortable in 2nd #CFL season #Bombers

1. #Bombers head Tim Burke does expect Hefney to get picked up by another #CFL organization. Had a meeting with DBs last night about decision

2. Burke asked Hefney to move to nickelback position again this season but Hefney prefers to play halfback #Bombers

3. Tim Burke said it was ultimately his decision and not GM Joe Mack's to release Jonathan Hefney and decision was mostly performance based

4. Demond Washington is leading candidate to replace Hefney in secondary, said he feels much more comfortable in 2nd #CFL season #Bombers

So why is this NOT a conversation they had before giving him a huge signing bonus in January? Burke is not a new coach, he had time to figure this out.

This is just a stupid move altogether.