Bombers Release Hefney

here's the latest cuts within the last few days..

WPG DEL  NIP Brett CAMERON (N/C) (K)    North Dakota
WPG DEL  IMP Dexter DAVIS (DE)    Friends University
WPG DEL  IMP Chad FAULCON (DB)    Montclair State
WPG DEL  NIP Timothy HUTCHISON (P)    No College
WPG DEL  IMP Marcus HYDE (DL)    William & Mary
WPG DEL  IMP Sam POPE (DB)    Hampton
WPG DEL  NIP Taylor RENAUD (WR)    Acadia
WPG DEL  NIP Jawann WESTERMAN (WR)    Rutgers
WPG DEL IMP Jonathan HEFNEY (DB) Tennessee

here's the latest cuts within the last few days..

WPG DEL  NIP Brett CAMERON (N/C) (K)    North Dakota

WPG DEL  IMP Dexter DAVIS (DE)    Friends University

WPG DEL  IMP Chad FAULCON (DB)    Montclair State

WPG DEL  NIP Timothy HUTCHISON (P)    No College

WPG DEL  IMP Marcus HYDE (DL)    William & Mary

WPG DEL  IMP Sam POPE (DB)    Hampton

WPG DEL  NIP Taylor RENAUD (WR)    Acadia

WPG DEL  NIP Jawann WESTERMAN (WR)    Rutgers

WPG DEL IMP Jonathan HEFNEY (DB) Tennessee

Sorry to see Dexter Davis being cut. I had high hopes for him.

Tim Burke warned the D there would be changes if play did not improve. When Hefney couldn't step with with better play, despite some turf toe, Burke shows the player the door. I'm not an expert at judging DB play, but take into consideration too that this is a very young club that needs leadership rather than distractions from veteran players. In fact, team chemistry appears to be of the issues coaches and management seem to be trying to address - because when you look at the depth chart there are precious few vets on this team who could be described as leaders. Buck Pierce I guess would be one. And Terence Edwards. Certainly not Hefney.

Great post. Burke said the team wouldn't tolerate the partying that went on last season. And for a veteran Hefney showed zero leadership. I think the pot bust was the last straw. They made the move because they needed to send a message to  the team that if you aren't with the program then you're gone.

Since Dexter Davis and Renaud are still on the roster just as Wallace Miles still is despite also being deleted from the roster in a similar matter, I figure this is just injury related adjustments and they will all resume practising once they are healthy. Especially since none of those three cuts were announced like the other ones were.

While I'm not surprised by this, kind of shocked that it happened so quickly.

Honestly happy that it happened though, Hef's play did drop last season, but so did many others as well. Personally got tired of Hefney being more focused on the celebrations rather than playing well.

This is a wayyyy overstated phenomenon.  The only way that type of information would be useful would be if a guy was in on practice the week of the game, was cut the day before the game and picked up by the other team knowing the game plan and anything out of the ordinary that might be coming.  Especially for what a guy like Hefney would know.  Defences (Burke especially) don't use that many coverages and everyone has the film to see what teams are doing anyways.

Gotta agree with you there. Burke's schemes rely more on man coverage...he's known for effectively coaching one on one coverage skills.

Hefney gave us some outstanding play, but last year, was pretty inconsistent.  He already had a number of black marks against him, coming into this season:

1.  The twitter nonsense (with Jovo) after claiming to be ready to step up into a leadership role (embarrassing Mack)

2.  His public unwillingness, to replace Kent

3.  His ridiculous comments after the 52-0 disgrace on LD, most notably "The effort was there"  (embarrassing Burke) 

Then he neglects to inform the club about his grass bust.....Burke has to answer questions on Coach's Show, that night, having just found out about the situation......

Given that Mack and Burke are "ole school guys".....they probably had reached saturation point, with this stuff....

Also, recall that, just as the players were leaving at the end of the season,  Burke stated he was unhappy with the current attitude and approach of the players.  He also stated that if anybody wasn't willing to change their ways - and I am quoting him exactly:

"We will get rid of them"

Burke was giving the team something to mull over, during the off-season.....   

If he did not have everybody's attention before.....he has it now....

I have no problem with the team getting rid of Hefney.... what I don't like is the fact that they couldn't trade him for anything???   How in the world can they not get anything not even a late pick at least for him.   At least that way we can dictate where he goes to so he isn't playing for Toronto which more then likely what will happen??

How can they make a rash decision cutting him but don't have the cahjones to cut Pierce who clearly is on a huge decline.    

The odds of this blowing up in our face is much higher then it working out in the end.....