Bombers Release Hefney

Well, after the latest slow start or series of mental breakdowns.....Lapo always mentioned the need to talk to the players about this and that........but the basic problem was, nobody was listening or seemed to pay any attention.  

Whether you believe in Burke or not.....at least he is walking the walk..... after talking about getting rid of people who wouldn't get on with (the new) program.  I suspect when he now tells people something.....he has a bit more attention.   

Sadly, Hefney had the perfect opportunity for a fresh slate, this season.... with new contract and bonus......but between refusing to shift position, yet again....and not giving management a heads up on the pot bust .....when he was already breathing thin air......simply deep-sixed himself. 

btw.....the bright side....both Sears and Washington can ball....more size and speed, out there.....

MMQB's Steinberg seems to think Hefney is going to Calgary... EDIT, he actually got that from the Calgary Sun:

A report from the Calgary Sun had the Stampeders interested in Jonathan Hefney after his release from the Bombers over the weekend. 

I don't see Hef as a SAM LB........he's just not physical enough to stand up to the pounding that the position requires, really don't blame him for telling Burke to stuff it.

well if he's a bust for whatever team signs him, then Mack and Burke are justified... but on the other hand, if he plays good football...

Alright, time to calm down a bit.  You're starting to sound like some of the whiners around here. You don't need that...

Agreed. It's a sore point with me, it has me grumbling and muttering like a grumpy old man.

I'm working on it. :P

what part of "his play dropped off so we cut him" is an oversimplification?

Burke also said:

"So I think you'll probably see him get picked up by somebody else. If they utilize him in a different role, he could probably be successful."

I don't see Hef as a SAM LB........he's just not physical enough to stand up to the pounding that the position requires, really don't blame him for telling Burke to stuff it.

He's played SAM at times for this team before and been awesome at it though! Hell the best games of the 2011 season for the defense had Hefney at SAM. It's really a great fit for him,he was better than Kent there. 

My beef with Heff is the coaches made a decision & he should as a professional do as they want. If it doesn't work out, it's on them. All I know is Keon Raymond from the Stamps isn't a big player & he excels there. The Sam has turned into another db position anyway... Yeah, it's more physical to be sure playing there. But they thought he could handle it.

Re: Hefney not listening to the coaches.......there was a great quote in the FP today from Jovon, talking about how much he's willing to do anything for the coaches. Said that if Dickenson wants him to return kicks, he will, and if he wants a 7-year vet (Jovon) to  get downfield on coverage, he's more than happy to do that as well. "Whatever it takes to win..." he said. If Hef had that attitude, he'd still be a Bomber....

It's like the Odell deal.  We'll have to bite our lips as he makes some big plays early on and the Bombers get ripped.  But in the end we know we're better off without him. 

The thing is, and I think this is especially true the way sports are covered, the winners write history.  So if the Bombers suck again and the Stamps are good again the Hefney story will be jammed down our throats.  If the Bombers improve the coaches having the courage to cut Hef will be talked up way beyond its relevance. 

Re: Hefney not listening to the coaches.......there was a great quote in the FP today from Jovon, talking about how much he's willing to do anything for the coaches. Said that if Dickenson wants him to return kicks, he will, and if he wants a 7-year vet (Jovon) to  get downfield on coverage, he's more than happy to do that as well. "Whatever it takes to win..." he said. If Hef had that attitude, he'd still be a Bomber....

yeah and we saw that last year too with Johnson volunteering to play SAM even though he was a terrible fit, giving it a try at safety because they needed someone there. Guy is willing to do whatever the team asks him and that's the attitude that every player needs to have.