Old Bomber games

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

I think there's a second tier of all-time running backs for people like Washington, Mimbs and especially Fred Reid.  Will always be a Fast Freddy fan, he and Terrance Edwards were two guys worth watching on the terrible Bombers of 2009-2010 and his big game against the Lions is one of my top ten favorite bomber games.

I think if Chris Garrett hadn't have torn his Achilles, he would've been a great CFL running back. That dude looked complete to me -- power, speed, and moves. 

Blaise Bryant.

Hell of a back.  Wrecked his knee in the second to last game 94.  Underrated reason for the playoff flameout that year vs Baltimore.  He was a great receiving back that year too, like 120 yards from scrimmage per game type back.  Played a couple more years but was busted up...and best QB those couple years was Reggie Slack.  They started about 8 different guys.  The end of Cal Murphy's run.  In 94 they went to Keith Woodside who was a washed up NFLer to replace Bryant for playoffs.  I'm pretty sure Dunigan hated him, no chemistry anyway.  Totally ****** up that offense which was one of best in CFL history for the playoffs.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

5 hours ago, johnzo said:

I think there's a second tier of all-time running backs for people like Washington, Mimbs and especially Fred Reid.  Will always be a Fast Freddy fan, he and Terrance Edwards were two guys worth watching on the terrible Bombers of 2009-2010 and his big game against the Lions is one of my top ten favorite bomber games.

I think if Chris Garrett hadn't have torn his Achilles, he would've been a great CFL running back. That dude looked complete to me -- power, speed, and moves. 

Chris Garrett was my favourite "post-Charlie" back prior to Harris and now Brady.

18 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Blaise Bryant.

Hell of a back.  Wrecked his knee in the second to last game 94.  Underrated reason for the playoff flameout that year vs Baltimore.  He was a great receiving back that year too, like 120 yards from scrimmage per game type back.  Played a couple more years but was busted up...and best QB those couple years was Reggie Slack.  They started about 8 different guys.  The end of Cal Murphy's run.  In 94 they went to Keith Woodside who was a washed up NFLer to replace Bryant for playoffs.  I'm pretty sure Dunigan hated him, no chemistry anyway.  Totally ****** up that offense which was one of best in CFL history for the playoffs.

Since you brought it up:

Until the 2019 West Final in Saskatchewan, this game was the best one I ever saw live. Like a true heavyweight fight, trading punches in a game with a rare south wind, but one that was so intense scoring into it was impossible. So many “almost” chances, especially the cross bar preventing the Bombers their lone TD chance. And if video review existed back then the Bombers win. The lone Baltimore TD was a fumble recovery when Woodside’s knee was clearly down before the ball came out, and Pringle fumbled late and the refs called the play down when it wasn’t. Add in the messed up fake field goal (Cameron was spotting the tee and was not in the huddle to hear that the fake was on, so he was the only one not to know what the play was. Westwood would score his only career TD the following year on the same fake call, this time executed perfectly) and this loss stung. Toss in the “illegal shoe” call (which was more galling following the Edmonton playoff debacle two years later where the Esks got away with blatantly cheating in the same fashion) and Cal Murphy said this was the toughest loss he ever had as a coach - one he never got over. The only game I have been physically exhausted after watching, it was that mentally draining to be at, cheering madly but in the end just not quite enough to carry the team to victory. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

21 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Blaise Bryant.

And Reggie Slack had at least one really bad knee as well. Slack had one of the most intense stares in pro sports. He would have been one of the CFL greats if his body did not deteriorate. 

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Tracker said:

And Reggie Slack had at least one really bad knee as well. Slack had one of the most intense stares in pro sports. He would have been one of the CFL greats if his body did not deteriorate. 

1994 - Calvillo's rookie season with the Posse.  Man was he bad....

4 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Im guessing this would qualify as an old Bomber game:

was this the one where a fan stole the only football they had after a Bomber td and the announcer on the broadcast was begging people to come to the stadium to bring a football so that the game could finish?  I remember Rod Smith making fun of that in some video somewhere...

Edited by kelownabomberfan

18 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

1994 - Calvillo's rookie season with the Posse.  Man was he bad....

was this the one where a fan stole the only football they had after a Bomber td and the announcer on the broadcast was begging people to come to the stadium to bring a football so that the game could finish?  I remember Rod Smith making fun of that in some video somewhere...

1950 was the infamous Mud Bowl where they say Buddy Tinsley almost drowned.

Fun fact: Buddy Tinsley's daughter was my grade 8 teacher. 

The fan stole the ball in the 1956 game.

Posted (edited)

Another nugget.  The Argos had a guy named "Granny Liggins", which I would put up there with "Randy Rhino".  This was before my time so I have no memory of this season.    

EDIT - I know we like to crap on TSN but man when you watch these old games you sure miss all of the new technology, like the first down line (so you know if they are even close) and graphics like telling us what the score is more than once or twice a quarter, as well as just telling us what down it is and how many yards to go for a first down.  I remember the days when that stuff didn't exist and I also remember having to pay a lot more attention to everything so that you could be informed rather than just lazily relying on technology.  I definitely think that while I appreciate being kept informed in real time it has made my brain go to mush a bit when it comes to paying attention to details.

22 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Since you brought it up:

Until the 2019 West Final in Saskatchewan, this game was the best one I ever saw live. Like a true heavyweight fight, trading punches in a game with a rare south wind, but one that was so intense scoring into it was impossible. So many “almost” chances, especially the cross bar preventing the Bombers their lone TD chance. And if video review existed back then the Bombers win. The lone Baltimore TD was a fumble recovery when Woodside’s knee was clearly down before the ball came out, and Pringle fumbled late and the refs called the play down when it wasn’t. Add in the messed up fake field goal (Cameron was spotting the tee and was not in the huddle to hear that the fake was on, so he was the only one not to know what the play was. Westwood would score his only career TD the following year on the same fake call, this time executed perfectly) and this loss stung. Toss in the “illegal shoe” call (which was more galling following the Edmonton playoff debacle two years later where the Esks got away with blatantly cheating in the same fashion) and Cal Murphy said this was the toughest loss he ever had as a coach - one he never got over. The only game I have been physically exhausted after watching, it was that mentally draining to be at, cheering madly but in the end just not quite enough to carry the team to victory. 

I was only 7. All I can remember is freezing, the ball hitting the goalpost, and overhearing my Dad on the phone saying “it was bullshit how they kicked those guys out” after the game. I guess referring to the shoe thing? 

I also remember complaining at school that it “wasn’t fair that Baltimore didn’t have to play any non-imports” and none of the other grade 2 kids having a clue what I was talking about. 

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I was only 7. All I can remember is freezing, the ball hitting the goalpost, and overhearing my Dad on the phone saying “it was bullshit how they kicked those guys out” after the game. I guess referring to the shoe thing? 

I also remember complaining at school that it “wasn’t fair that Baltimore didn’t have to play any non-imports” and none of the other grade 2 kids having a clue what I was talking about. 

I was articling at a CA firm in Calgary at the time and remember saying the exact same thing the next day to my equally clued-out co-workers.  So there you go.  The owners at that time were blinded by the money, and allowed a totally unfair advantage to the US teams.  It was a total betrayal, in my view.

24 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I was articling at a CA firm in Calgary at the time and remember saying the exact same thing the next day to my equally clued-out co-workers.  So there you go.  The owners at that time were blinded by the money, and allowed a totally unfair advantage to the US teams.  It was a total betrayal, in my view.

That’s how I see it, and how the adults in my life viewed it at the time too. 
It chaps my ass when people mention that 95 team as the greatest of all time. 
They had some great players, but that team deserves an asterisk big time. 

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

It wasn’t being blinded by money so much as it was needing the infusion of cash to keep the league alive. All the talk about Toronto failing now, or Edmonton or Calgary struggling with old stadiums and BC’s failing attendance previously, is nothing compared to the death throes the league was in in the early 1990’s. No US teams and the league would have died. But the cost to the product was being required to comply with US labour laws which would not allow Canadians to take US jobs in favour of an equal or superior US citizen. So the American teams had the unfair advantage of having all US back-up players. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

It wasn’t being blinded by money so much as it was needing the infusion of cash to keep the league alive. All the talk about Toronto failing now, or Edmonton or Calgary struggling with old stadiums and BC’s failing attendance previously, is nothing compared to the death throes the league was in in the early 1990’s. No US teams and the league would have died. But the cost to the product was being required to comply with US labour laws which would not allow Canadians to take US jobs in favour of an equal or superior US citizen. So the American teams had the unfair advantage of having all US back-up players. 

ok maybe I got the NHL and the CFL mixed up there....

11 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Here's what I find amazing - that 11 years after the 1950 Grey Cup telecast, and the technology over 11 years of broadcasting hadn't really advanced.  What the heck???

Football broadcasting didn’t really evolve from the 40s until the rise of the AFL in the mid-late 1960’s. 
Monday Night Football was a direct answer to the innovative things the AFL were doing, everything took off from there. 
Especially in the states, pro football was considered a distant 3rd tier behind baseball and College football right up until the 70s. 
I assume it was the same here, with hockey still being the bigger deal even now. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

13 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Here's what I find amazing - that 11 years after the 1950 Grey Cup telecast, and the technology over 11 years of broadcasting hadn't really advanced.  What the heck???

One thing that stood out watching this is the broadcaster talks a lot more about formations and how the teams are lining up.  We rarely even get broadcasters talking about a player substitution for an injury or a player taking a few plays off.

Either the broadcasters used to be much more knowledgeable about the game, or they've felt they had to really dumb it down over time.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

One thing that stood out watching this is the broadcaster talks a lot more about formations and how the teams are lining up.  We rarely even get broadcasters talking about a player substitution for an injury or a player taking a few plays off.

Either the broadcasters used to be much more knowledgeable about the game, or they've felt they had to really dumb it down over time.

It’s hard to tell given the games have been on the same single network for so long. 
I seem to remember CBC talking about the game itself a little more than TSN does, but it could be just rose-coloured glasses. 

On 2024-03-29 at 7:49 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

It wasn't the owners. It was US Immigration laws. canadians were not allowed to play on US teams. The only way expansion to the US would work... roster wise... was to eliminate all Canadians & make everything wide open. The US expansion of the mid 90's was doomed from the start because of it.

On 2024-03-29 at 6:29 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

Another nugget.  The Argos had a guy named "Granny Liggins", which I would put up there with "Randy Rhino".  This was before my time so I have no memory of this season.    

EDIT - I know we like to crap on TSN but man when you watch these old games you sure miss all of the new technology, like the first down line (so you know if they are even close) and graphics like telling us what the score is more than once or twice a quarter, as well as just telling us what down it is and how many yards to go for a first down.  I remember the days when that stuff didn't exist and I also remember having to pay a lot more attention to everything so that you could be informed rather than just lazily relying on technology.  I definitely think that while I appreciate being kept informed in real time it has made my brain go to mush a bit when it comes to paying attention to details.

Granny Liggins was a great player. One of the last who could go both ways in a game. He was 7th in the Heisman Trophy voting his senior year. We used to get so many quality players coming up here like him because of the lack of American pro teams, smaller rosters, leagues & money.  Multiple CFL All Star at OG & DT. BTW, Granny is short for Granville.

Does anyone else have a holy grail old game you’ve never been able to find a copy of. 

I’ve always been after the game here vs Edmonton, on a Monday night after 9/11 and/or an August/1996 game vs Calgary here, 38-36 win. I remember both being pretty wild watching live. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Does anyone else have a holy grail old game you’ve never been able to find a copy of. 

I’ve always been after the game here vs Edmonton, on a Monday night after 9/11 and/or an August/1996 game vs Calgary here, 38-36 win. I remember both being pretty wild watching live. 

there is only one... and it's the same one we all have: 713.