2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

1 hour ago, greenrider55 said:

More so that he’s wasting his time and shouldn’t try for it.

I don’t care if he tries it if not. He clearly didn’t get anywhere near the offer he thought he would and is willing to be a camp body for no pay. 

There was zero talk about him getting any work outs or having any interest from the NFL up until the negotiation window. 

He’s probably getting offered 200k - which I still wouldn’t do- and knows that will still be available in May from someone. 

Edited by Geebrr

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

I don’t care if he tries it if not. He clearly didn’t get anywhere near the offer he thought he would and is willing to be a camp body for no pay. 

There was zero talk about him getting any work outs or having any interest from the NFL up until the negotiation window. 

He’s probably getting offered 200k - which I still wouldn’t do- and knows that will still be available in May from someone. 

Devils advocate: he’s not eligible for the NFL window the same way Holm, etc would be so the negotiation window would likely be the first you’d ever hear of any interest 

49 minutes ago, Mike said:

Devils advocate: he’s not eligible for the NFL window the same way Holm, etc would be so the negotiation window would likely be the first you’d ever hear of any interest 

What prevents him from working out for NFL teams, or even mentioning that he has interest in doing so? 

48 minutes ago, Mike said:

I believe the NFL window for Holm and other CFL players under contract closed Feb. 3, so we can assume he'll be back for the start of TC along with Ford.  Without a contract Betts can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants.  

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I know it's not an apples to apples comparison, but Betts getting a sniff down south and not Schoen, is particularly hilarious. 

I’m sure Schoen could get a futures contract with no bonus money if he wanted to accept it.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I know it's not an apples to apples comparison, but Betts getting a sniff down south and not Schoen, is particularly hilarious. 

Wasn’t the knock on him last season when he went to NFL tryouts that he wasn’t fast enough? I kinda remember a comment about NFL people saying that he needed the waggle to get open.

3 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

More so that he’s wasting his time and shouldn’t try for it.

We said the same thing about desjarlais sitting around hoping for an nfl deal for a year with out getting one. And he, was certainly good enough. It’s not clowning, it’s just reality. 
 It’s not enough, to have the talent. It’s not enough to have the talent and athleticism and the size. The nfl pr and tc is bigger than ever but the active roster is the same. Our rosters are small enough you shouldn’t see tcf here any more. But it’s very real in the nfl. 
 No cfl guy making ar money should take an un paid no bonus nfl tc invite. It’s a huge risk with only a chance at comparable money. 
they should only go for a signing bonus and contract where they will get a buy out the deal if an injury happens. 

Part of me feels Farhan might be throwing this out there so some team pays him more money. The other part thinks Detroit legit likes him. I find that hard to believe tho lol. But, you look at the sack numbers and prob think he deserves a shot. I mean personally I think Betts is seriously over rated but if I’m an nfl scout and I watch the right games, betts prob is intriguing 

Edited by Goalie

57 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Part of me feels Farhan might be throwing this out there so some team pays him more money. The other part thinks Detroit legit likes him. I find that hard to believe tho lol. But, you look at the sack numbers and prob think he deserves a shot. I mean personally I think Betts is seriously over rated but if I’m an nfl scout and I watch the right games, betts prob is intriguing 

Why would teams pay him more money?

1 hour ago, Mike said:

His contract? 

Evan Holm doesn’t have a contract? 

Betts is a pending free agent and Holm isn’t. 

Why would a free agent be more restricted? 

29 minutes ago, Mike said:

Betts could be intriguing as a situational edge rusher who plays passing downs only and I guess if that’s a role a team has a spot for, could be some interest. 

In the CFL sure.  You just described his whole role. 

He isn’t doing that in the NFL. 

7 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He has no window until his contract expires.

BC hasn't released him.

Willie Jefferson talked about the NFL in the same situation - no CFL team is  stopping a guy. 

Evan Holm wasn’t released to work out for NFL teams. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Why would teams pay him more money?

Who knows. Why did sask give hardrick 235 ish per. Why did Hamilton sign 70 dl. I dunno. People are dumb. Maaaan

Off season winners 

bombers. Ottawa. 

off season grey cup. Hamilton 

losers 

Toronto. Sask for the $$$

only Bede so far in Edmonton 

Calgary for Houston alone. 

Edited by Goalie

16 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Who knows. Why did sask give hardrick 235 ish per. Why did Hamilton sign 70 dl. I dunno. People are dumb. Maaaan

Off season winners 

bombers. Ottawa. 

off season grey cup. Hamilton 

losers 

Toronto. Sask for the $$$

only Bede so far in Edmonton 

Calgary for Houston alone. 

Edm signed Leake...he's a big signing...instant field flipper

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

Edm signed Leake...he's a big signing...instant field flipper

It's early in the FA derby yet, but....

I hate saying it but Edm definitely got better on paper. Edm and Sask won't be the free space they were past few years. Don't think BC got as good as I'd have figured considering they're hosting this year. 

We'll see what things look like this time next week...

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

Willie Jefferson talked about the NFL in the same situation - no CFL team is  stopping a guy. 

Evan Holm wasn’t released to work out for NFL teams. 

There’s a window for players with non-expiring contracts. Betts had an off-season bonus in his contract, he’s not eligible for that window so until his contract expires, he’s in a holding pattern. 

There’s a bit more to it than that, with the restrictions of “futures” contracts and stuff, but it’s all a complicated mess

Yeah...he has to wait..but really why bother ..he flamed out there once already as a young guy...he's past the worth it age now to develop... especially undersized and if anything a situational guy ..and I wouldn't even know what situ he would suit down there...