2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

1 hour ago, Booch said:

he plays mean....exactly what makes an oline dominant...I actually shocked we got him where we did...I think some other teams scouting departments were asleep at the wheel...Even right out of college he would be the perfect replacement for Eli in the jumbo package..blasting bodies out of the way as he develops...If Dobson can come in and show he can be a legit left gaurd....an interior of Neuuf...Eli and Dobson ..would give us a nasty streak mean interior...and with Wallace coming in for Jumbo packages in Eli's old spot....would be a pile pushing juggernaut

And THEN, you throw the Strevelation at that pile being pushed - hitting that moving wall at full speed - how is any CFL D-line going to stop that?

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Booch said:

he plays mean....exactly what makes an oline dominant...I actually shocked we got him where we did...I think some other teams scouting departments were asleep at the wheel...

Apparently others backed off on him because they said he had 'slow' feet....LOL....When you get a grinder like this guy is , I don't care how slow his feet are...he's going to push people down field and Bo is going to luv him...He's just what we need and a steal as far as I'm concerned ......

5 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Apparently others backed off on him because they said he had 'slow' feet....LOL....When you get a grinder like this guy is , I don't care how slow his feet are...he's going to push people down field and Bo is going to luv him...He's just what we need and a steal as far as I'm concerned ......

Bo?

Just now, Stickem said:

I'd be more concerned with that if he was a tackle and or projected to be one....Coaching and reps at pro level will be all he needs to be a mauling interior guy....you cant teach size and brute force, and the ability to wash guys out...which is what he brings....We will coach him up to get lower...how to create a strong base...and be a body mover...no concerns there...And if he has any hand skills, and seeing as he has above average arm length for an interior guys...he will be just fine....and he has prob one the best all time in Bryant with his hand technique to watch and learn from....If You ever focus on Bryant and watch how with even the most isnignificant looking thigs he does with his hands to disrupt a pass rusher you will truly be amazed...and what little effort it takes for him to do it....Dude's a master and part of why he has been able to play an elite level in his mid/late 30's...his bread and butter isnt necessarily speed and brute force

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Feet and movement is the entire game.  Watch Hardrick last year try to lean on guys and them in Collaros face 0.3 seconds later.  We're not running 40 times a game.

So he's got a long way to go from my view of his videos out there.  Both in terms of keeping his feet engaged and bending (lowering) his hips so he doesn't get lifted...which is a big issue if he's playing inside run or pass.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

1 hour ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Bombers signed a couple of American Dlinemen today.  Rick D'Abreu from Texas Christian and David Green out of Pittsburgh. 

Both are coming straight from college. 

https://www.frogsowar.com/2023/12/14/24002156/football-tcu-dl-rick-dabreu-declares-for-the-2024-nfl-draft

dabreu looks like the type of guy we’d play inside and out. 

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/football/roster/david-green/12580

green has played some nose, 2, 2i, and 4i in 30 fronts. Has a good motor, and that versatility is huge for how we run fronts at our best. Not sure he has the push to excel, but he did play very good competition, it’d be bazar for him to dominant come out and not get a look. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

https://www.frogsowar.com/2023/12/14/24002156/football-tcu-dl-rick-dabreu-declares-for-the-2024-nfl-draft

dabreu looks like the type of guy we’d play inside and out. 

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/football/roster/david-green/12580

green has played some nose, 2, 2i, and 4i in 30 fronts. Has a good motor, and that versatility is huge for how we run fronts at our best. Not sure he has the push to excel, but he did play very good competition, it’d be bazar for him to dominant come out and not get a look. 

Dabreu...powerfully built....like that in a dline guy....could be a nice dark horse

Edited by Booch

2 hours ago, Booch said:

I'd be more concerned with that if he was a tackle and or projected to be one....Coaching and reps at pro level will be all he needs to be a mauling interior guy....you cant teach size and brute force, and the ability to wash guys out...which is what he brings....We will coach him up to get lower...how to create a strong base...and be a body mover...no concerns there...And if he has any hand skills, and seeing as he has above average arm length for an interior guys...he will be just fine....and he has prob one the best all time in Bryant with his hand technique to watch and learn from....If You ever focus on Bryant and watch how with even the most isnignificant looking thigs he does with his hands to disrupt a pass rusher you will truly be amazed...and what little effort it takes for him to do it....Dude's a master and part of why he has been able to play an elite level in his mid/late 30's...his bread and butter isnt necessarily speed and brute force

With his athleticism and needing to trim down a bit I’d be very confident Marty Costello can polish his footwork and that any foot speed issue is purely mechanical. 

If the near future of our interior ol is Dobson, Eli and Wallace that’s pretty darned good. He should probably be dropping 20-25 lbs, crazy to think how much more explosive he might be then. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

With his athleticism and needing to trim down a bit I’d be very confident Marty Costello can polish his footwork and that any foot speed issue is purely mechanical. 

If the near future of our interior ol is Dobson, Eli and Wallace that’s pretty darned good. He should probably be dropping 20-25 lbs, crazy to think how much more explosive he might be then. 

I think more than anything it's just work...and good coaching....and from experince I know how foot speed and general lateral movement improves from just shedding 15 to 20 pounds

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Dabreu...powerfully built....like that in a dline guy....could be a nice dark horse

Yeah I do love the bigger des we see now. Guys rolling a lean athletic 265 range shed a lot easier than the undersized edges we’ve seen for a long time. 

Dl is gonna be a great battle to see. Probably the biggest position to watch. As goes the line so goes the team. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

Yeah I do love the bigger des we see now. Guys rolling a lean athletic 265 range shed a lot easier than the undersized edges we’ve seen for a long time. 

Dl is gonna be a great battle to see. Probably the biggest position to watch. As goes the line so goes the team. 

they can power in way more effectively especially with a strong tilt...and are not just sent way outside...Like u saw a lot with Betts

Edited by Booch

Just now, Booch said:

I think more than anything it's just work...and good coaching....and from experince I know how foot speed and general lateral movement improves from just shedding 15 to 20 pounds

Agree. He’s one of the more raw guys at the top of the draft. Incredible talent, athleticism and the right mind set though. 
 I can’t imagine him missing here with Marty and our system. 

Just now, Booch said:

they can power in way more effectively especially with a strong tilt...and are not just sent way outside...Like u saw a lot with Betts

I wouldn’t be surprised to see more 3-4 end types succeeding up here on the edge. Teams have been adjusting to run fits that pull sam/dhb/Ss into the box. An easy way to cover fits with out pulling dbs is to run guys who can play more than a gap. 

With rookie camp starting soon, it’s a fair time imo to evaluate the off season. We didn’t have the flexibility to bring in vets at vacated spots but our recruiting has been stellar. We filled our gaps and rebuilt our ni depth and pipeline. 
I’d give it an A-. A+ would require a good vet at de or db or a replacement punter. 
 Best qb talent in the league despite losing the best back up qb in the league. We’ve got the present the future and the long term future sealed up. 
I think we will see Roty competition from db and de. 

we essentially replaced the best back up QB with a new...better best back up....abd the prospect behind him seems solid at first glance....Camp will be the true indicator...upgrade tho from 2023

I don't think Yosh is a majhor loss per say....As long as we can find a compatent replacement who can play we should be fine...Lofton should be that guy worst case, as we develop the heir apparent longterm guy...and with Eli back...Dobson hopefully with more polish to him, and the huge upside of Wallace and still having Kolo, I see no worries there really either...maybe some gelling at first....but with Bryant and Neuf next to whomever wins the spot they have on field coaching right there....and with some guys in the pipleline again...and the possible flyer on Manu....we upgraded I believe to a meaner group...younger...with upside

Replacing Jackson with the actual Canadian RB/FB who actually has a real good skill set...huge upgrade on multiple levels...especially for roster...upgrade there

Like the dline talent coming in....Was never sold or a fan of Walker, so I think we will be better with whoever is shotgun with lawson....and some intruiging guys competing for the end spots....Jackson's loss hurts, but bang for buck there and not knowig how many games we would get...with a guy on other side of 30...I like the route we take....camp will be the big battle and indicator there....we have some talent....and now with Jackson gone we can actually deploy it...so in my opinion the defensive rotation will be better all around, especially with Ford in the mix and the ability to if we want at times to go all Import on the line, and have some unique schemes with who we put out there.

Db's not concerned with whatsoever...we have a proven track record of plug and play there......

LB's is the one spot a little curious, dare I say concerned.....No issues with Wilson....and at SAM we have options....I'd like to see Cole take that over and Ford win a Corner spot....we also have a couple interesting guys coming in who may blow doors off and take that role...Not sold...nor liking Kramdi there...adequate atbest doesnt cut it for me, and he will not develop into a true difference maker, so why extend that experiment...we dont have to, so why? and if we want that Canadian then Ford offers way more...more upside, and a way better athlete...so at moment to me Linebacker is the big question mark to be filled

Receiever...nothing to be said there...we know what the main 4 bring....we have some intruiging options to replace Bailey and we replenished our Canadian backups....the new kid with more upside than Bolo I believe and I was one of the bigger BOLO tire pumpers here...plus he is an experienced teams guy...BOLO wasnt...we made him learn that spot

RB's...Nothing needs to be said there, and now with Ilke we have 3 solid Canadians and a actual guy to do the full back role who actually can do more than just get in the way....and don't sleep on Smith....If he takes Mcrae's role, as well as win that returnr spot...Huge upgrade....and he could make real noise with some offensive reps...true game breaking skill set there

Camp will be interesting and a true camp this yr with guys competing and jobs to be taken....