2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Good move for every one. Hope we get a game to honour him be great to see him run out onto the field one more time. 

He'll go into the ring of honour at some point soon. They'll want to capitalize on his popularity. 

But, locals are not more important than random Americans. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

He'll go into the ring of honour at some point soon. They'll want to capitalize on his popularity. 

But, locals are not more important than random Americans. 

I can't tell if the reactions are disagreeing with your premise, or maybe missed the sarcasm. Because based on your posting history, I am assuming you agree with me that locals are absolutely more important, especially for marketing reasons. The "Harris/Demski  local boys bring the Grey Cup home" storyline was everything.

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

If you're somehow new to that podcast (and I'm not sure how that's possible...) they are very well done. Some better than others but they're all good. The Doug Brown one in season one is fantastic. The first Andrew Harris one is really good. Any of the Paddy Neufeld ones... 

2 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I can't tell if the reactions are disagreeing with your premise, or maybe missed the sarcasm. Because based on your posting history, I am assuming you agree with me that locals are absolutely more important, especially for marketing reasons. The "Harris/Demski  local boys bring the Grey Cup home" storyline was everything.

100%. 

But, others will tell you it meant nothing that he's from here. 

They'll tell you being from Winnipeg doesn't matter.  

Edited by JCon

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Bc is for sure moving on from lucky, wonder if he/we would be interested in a vet min deal to compete for a kr job. 

If Grant doesn't sign, maybe we could sign Lucky, while he might not be as good as Grant, he would be another weapon on the offence. Bonus is he would qualify as a designated national.

Edited by Pete

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

If Grant doesn't sign, maybe we could sign Lucky, while he might not be as good as Grant, he would be another weapon on the offence. Bonus is he would qualify as a designated national.

The bonus would be if we’d use the designated national rule in the first place. 

I’d be meh on Lucky. He’s been injured often and age will take a step off, if it hasn’t already

Better off to find a good young returner if Grant doesn’t sign imo. 

12 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

The bonus would be if we’d use the designated national rule in the first place. 

I’d be meh on Lucky. He’s been injured often and age will take a step off, if it hasn’t already

Better off to find a good young returner if Grant doesn’t sign imo. 

Unless Grant wants to play in the UFL for less or retire, he doesn't have many options left, finding an equivalent replacement for his dynamic ability, experience and toughness won't be easy.  If Walters can't sign him shortly, I expect a mediocre return game, much like we saw most of last season.  If there is any money left, perhaps he can pick up a known castoff from another team for min. wage after TC cuts.

13 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Unless Grant wants to play in the UFL for less or retire, he doesn't have many options left, finding an equivalent replacement for his dynamic ability, experience and toughness won't be easy.  If Walters can't sign him shortly, I expect a mediocre return game, much like we saw most of last season.  If there is any money left, perhaps he can pick up a known castoff from another team for min. wage after TC cuts.

I don't think salary is the issue at play with Grant. Sadly, reliability has been a big time issue over the past couple years and it may be possible that we have moved on because of that. I hope I am wrong.

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

if I remember right, the Bombers have signed a LOT of potential KR/PR candidates this off-season for a camp competition...

Yes, there are a crap load.

13 hours ago, Pete said:

Not sure what Lucky's salary expectations are but if he wants to come in at a salary similar to what Grant was getting we would probably consider it.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

if I remember right, the Bombers have signed a LOT of potential KR/PR candidates this off-season for a camp competition...

We have. But we’ve also brought in a ton of guys while grant has been out and they’ve all been terrible. Veteran competition would be great and give us a high floor. 

17 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

We have. But we’ve also brought in a ton of guys while grant has been out and they’ve all been terrible. Veteran competition would be great and give us a high floor. 

That shouldn't stop bringing in new talent. More of a scouting issue if it keeps up.

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Bringing in guys mid-season, after not really scouting that position much because we had Grant, is likely what led to lacklustre results trying to replace him in season. IF, and it's still a big IF, the Bombers have made the decision to move on from Grant I would expect that our scouting department was looking a heckuva lot harder at finding a great returner this offseason than when we had the comfort of knowing we had Grant. That being said, if a guy like Lucky or another vet returner wants to come here on the cheap and compete in camp that would be a best case scenario.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Bringing in guys mid-season, after not really scouting that position much because we had Grant, is likely what led to lacklustre results trying to replace him in season. IF, and it's still a big IF, the Bombers have made the decision to move on from Grant I would expect that our scouting department was looking a heckuva lot harder at finding a great returner this offseason than when we had the comfort of knowing we had Grant. That being said, if a guy like Lucky or another vet returner wants to come here on the cheap and compete in camp that would be a best case scenario.

That would be a much stronger point, if we hadn’t seen a string of awful returnmen before grant as well. We frequently bring in dbs with return man experience as well. Our prototype db is athletic play makers. Same with RBs. 

I hope we haven’t moved on from grant but it sure seems like it. 

Another benefit is lucky is a fifo guy. Kr in the cfl is as much about execution as talent and dynamic play making. If we have a high upside guy who is translating that to the field here in camp and pre season, a guy like lucky can help coach them up. Maybe ease them into full time duty.