2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

I don’t expect much activity whatsoever, to be honest. Looking through what’s left out there, I bet we have some room to add but it’s not going to be anything notable.

I see very little out there that I’d be interested in. Jamal Davis, Shawn Oakman (who I sense is going back to the XOXOFL or whatever the hell they’re calling it these days) and I suppose maybe a guy like Christmas or a depth DI type like a Shaq Richardson would be the only players I have much excitement for beyond our own.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don’t expect much activity whatsoever, to be honest. Looking through what’s left out there, I bet we have some room to add but it’s not going to be anything notable.

I see very little out there that I’d be interested in. Jamal Davis, Shawn Oakman (who I sense is going back to the XOXOFL or whatever the hell they’re calling it these days) and I suppose maybe a guy like Christmas or a depth DI type like a Shaq Richardson would be the only players I have much excitement for beyond our own.

I could see us going after a couple rando low level free agents. Robert priester, rice, or even James tuck.  Or a slightly above that tier guys like Christmas, jagared Davis, kongbo could be another teams former project imp db, or ol. Could bring back lofton by boy I hope not. 
 I could see oakman going to xfl 6.0 too though I’d love him he’d  

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I could see us going after a couple rando low level free agents. Robert priester, rice, or even James tuck.  Or a slightly above that tier guys like Christmas, jagared Davis, kongbo could be another teams former project imp db, or ol. Could bring back lofton by boy I hope not. 
 I could see oakman going to xfl 6.0 too though I’d love him he’d  

God I hope we don’t bring back Lofton. 

9 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Looks that way.  Have you seen the amount of ads on that page lately?  They also decided to do another article on Boomer Esiason a couple days ago (their 2nd this month) on his comments from 2021.  I would say they are very desperate right now for both content and clicks.

I find these guys to be a good source of news.

They just report player transactions so no filler pieces or opinion articles:

https://www.bgmsportstrax.com/category/cfl/winnipeg-blue-bombers/

If the Bombers do go with a rookie DE in Jeffcoat's place, which of our rostered players do you guys think has the best change to take over that spot?

6 contenders right now: Celestin Haba, TyJuan Garbutt, Nate Givhan, Ali Fayad, Jordan Lewis, John Waggoner

I think Celestin Haba would be the favorite right now but also think Ali Fayad is a sleeper. Former MAC DPOY w/ NFL experience who started some games in USFL last season. 

I thought Habba looked good last year. If he took the offseason seriously and comes in healthy, he should have a solid advantage going into training camp to grab the spot. 

I really like the fact that we have a couple spots with open competition this year.....pending what we bring in if any during F/A. 

3 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

I thought Habba looked good last year. If he took the offseason seriously and comes in healthy, he should have a solid advantage going into training camp to grab the spot. 

I really like the fact that we have a couple spots with open competition this year.....pending what we bring in if any during F/A. 

If Haba took in his first year experience, and worked on his run stop over the offseason, there would be very little to not like about his game.

32 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

I wasn't overly impressed with Haba, but DEs usually need a season to acclimate. Like GCn20 says, if he used his time, he could definitely be a candidate to make a 2nd year leap. He definitely has an edge over the other contenders at this point. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Haba and Garbutt absolutely the leading contenders, but I'm excited to see who all jumps out at camp.... Reacher seems like a beast, but not sure if a DE or DT.... or maybe a rotational piece? 

I was actually thinking we may see Waggoner move inside? 

That might be fun. 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Haba and Garbutt absolutely the leading contenders, but I'm excited to see who all jumps out at camp.... Reacher seems like a beast, but not sure if a DE or DT.... or maybe a rotational piece? 

I wish someone would step forward and absolutely leave no doubt by dominating TC. Who that might be? Don't care. We literally need to find our next Jackson Jeffcoat.

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I was actually thinking we may see Waggoner move inside? 

That might be fun. 

Not sure what Reacher has played in the past. Never looked it up, but if was a DE it shouldn't be much of an adjustment if he can handle it inside better.

Edited by GCn20

Waggoner is a very good technical dlineman..exceptional hand skills too...I could see us looking at him as a hybrid guy inside and out

I have mentioned before that from who we have coming to camp from last yr that Garbut to me looked to have the best over all skill set...and the highest upside...he has a nice length in the upper body, but also was most explosive in the initial moves off the snap...so really curious to how he has developed this yr...He got knicked a bit in that one game he started, but stayed in...but it slowed him down a bit but still was making plays and was constantly busy...Thats what I like to see and look for....he has it...Same with Fox...I really looking forward to him getting lion's share of reps...dude is a powerhouse and explosive and always moving

I looking forward to going to camp and focusing on the dline guys

27 minutes ago, Booch said:

Waggoner is a very good technical dlineman..exceptional hand skills too...I could see us looking at him as a hybrid guy inside and out

I have mentioned before that from who we have coming to camp from last yr that Garbut to me looked to have the best over all skill set...and the highest upside...he has a nice length in the upper body, but also was most explosive in the initial moves off the snap...so really curious to how he has developed this yr...He got knicked a bit in that one game he started, but stayed in...but it slowed him down a bit but still was making plays and was constantly busy...Thats what I like to see and look for....he has it...Same with Fox...I really looking forward to him getting lion's share of reps...dude is a powerhouse and explosive and always moving

I looking forward to going to camp and focusing on the dline guys

We are going to need these guys to take a big step forward. Definitely the potential is there, and that is probably why we don't re-sign Ricky and lowball JJ. Doesn't make Ricky or JJ bad players, we just like the guys nipping at their heels and their low cost to our SMS.

52 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I wasn't overly impressed with Haba, but DEs usually need a season to acclimate. Like GCn20 says, if he used his time, he could definitely be a candidate to make a 2nd year leap. He definitely has an edge over the other contenders at this point. 

Haba was ok, he's quick but doesn't have the size to overpower an OT which might be a problem trying to maintain the edge when containing the QB.  He played in 8 games last season with 12 DT's and 4 sacks and missed a few games due to injury, so he has a decent base of experience to build upon.

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

Haba was ok, he's quick but doesn't have the size to overpower an OT which might be a problem trying to maintain the edge when containing the QB.  He played in 8 games last season with 12 DT's and 4 sacks and missed a few games due to injury, so he has a decent base of experience to build upon.

Let’s not forget the age difference, which is massive when you’re discussing an introduction to pro football. Haba played most of his games before he turned 24 years old. I’d expect him (and Garbutt who I don’t think is much different) to take a little more time to acclimate than a guy like Fox (obviously not a direct positional comparison) who just turned 27.

I personally like Jamal Woods to beat out Fox in camp.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Let’s not forget the age difference, which is massive when you’re discussing an introduction to pro football. Haba played most of his games before he turned 24 years old. I’d expect him (and Garbutt who I don’t think is much different) to take a little more time to acclimate than a guy like Fox (obviously not a direct positional comparison) who just turned 27.

I personally like Jamal Woods to beat out Fox in camp.

if we produce a practical roster, we should have both on really...but do we see the same Jackson stupidity?...I sure as hell hope not