2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this just feels like a WILD overpay to keep the local guy. I'm as happy as anyone to have Brady stay with the team, but that price just SEEMS way too high. I'm on Booch's team, thinking we could have gone to an American that would have provided approximately the same production. I feel like it's way easier to find RBs than it is to find elite REC's like Schoen. But we'll see what Walters has up his sleeve...

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yeah, this just feels like a WILD overpay to keep the local guy. I'm as happy as anyone to have Brady stay with the team, but that price just SEEMS way too high. I'm on Booch's team, thinking we could have gone to an American that would have provided approximately the same production. I feel like it's way easier to find RBs than it is to find elite REC's like Schoen. But we'll see what Walters has up his sleeve...

If we’re moving on from a few guys like Hardrick, Jeffcoat and some of the special teamers who were making 100k+ then we may as well spend that money somewhere.

If we can afford to give Cam Lawson a 60k raise, Brady getting not quite double that works just fine for me if it works fine for them.

35 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Collaros is the problem contract on this team not Oliveira. 

Bro. With all due respect - in the context of “even Fajardo can win a Grey Cup” -  sure.  In the context of being a locked in playoff team and getting the top seed every year - absolutely not. 

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

If we’re moving on from a few guys like Hardrick, Jeffcoat and some of the special teamers who were making 100k+ then we may as well spend that money somewhere.

If we can afford to give Cam Lawson a 60k raise, Brady getting not quite double that works just fine for me if it works fine for them.

I feel like we always do the math of contracts we have cleared only to find out that it isn’t as much space as we thought. 

1 minute ago, Geebrr said:

Bro. With all due respect - in the context of “even Fajardo can win a Grey Cup” -  sure.  In the context of being a locked in playoff team and getting the top seed every year - absolutely not. 

Collaros can be the best qb in the league and still be over paid. 

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think you're overestimating the production we'd get out of random american back. There's a lot of backs around the league....Brady was several cuts above.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

I think a lot of people got too hard on the copium at the thought of losing Brady. Dude still had a damned amazing season, still a damned ******* good player and Canadian. Well worth paying to keep. 

As much as it might be that, I think it is atleast equal concern over picking brady vs schoen, and both vs free agents. It's an off season deep with unknowns, which around here is a strange thing we aren't used to any more. 

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm sure they have a plan, and know what they want, and where to allocate so will trust in them that they don't allow some of the same things to creep in again due to a lean and shallow roster....and also have the belief we still have and will use available money to retain Schoen....sure the market is the market...But in the grand scheme...the G.M's are in control of the market too....unless someone decides to go rogue

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

I think you're overestimating the production we'd get out of random american back. There's a lot of backs around the league....Brady was several cuts above.

Oh I suspect we could have found an American to out up comparable or better rushing totals. It's the whole package would have been tricky.

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I think a lot of people got too hard on the copium at the thought of losing Brady. Dude still had a damned amazing season, still a damned ******* good player and Canadian. Well worth paying to keep. 

Every team in the league would love his problematic contract. 

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Every league, every level has RB valued very low because of the ability to plug and play another guy at all times. I think you are under rating the value that the game plan, and blockers have had on our success. You plug in Brown, or really most of the other top 10 backs in the league you don't see a dip in rushing yards. You might not have the ability to grind out the clock, or block, or pass catch etc. But the rb talent pool is what it is. 

6 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Sure - but those teams don’t have our line or commit to the run like us. 

Edited by Geebrr

Just now, Geebrr said:

Every team in the league would love his problematic contract. 

If youre going to over pay some one, and if they aren't a qb, let it be a young starting NI. 

IF all the reported numbers are correct, is bradys deal better than desjarlais? 256k last year. Both very young, top of their position NIs. Desjarlais was universally panned here and league wide. But if your biggest over pay is a young NI starter you are in decent shape. Better than giving out 300k to a new wr every year. Or the buckets of money dropped on MBT. 

I am hoping we may be able to get Davis II over here. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

If youre going to over pay some one, and if they aren't a qb, let it be a young starting NI. 

IF all the reported numbers are correct, is bradys deal better than desjarlais? 256k last year. Both very young, top of their position NIs. Desjarlais was universally panned here and league wide. But if your biggest over pay is a young NI starter you are in decent shape. Better than giving out 300k to a new wr every year. Or the buckets of money dropped on MBT. 

Fair comment - but NI guards are critical to team success. NI RBs are great to have , but historically are not really critical to success. 

3 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Fair comment - but NI guards are critical to team success. NI RBs are great to have , but historically are not really critical to success. 

NI guards are important because NIs in skilled positions are much rarer. You need NIs, so you plug them in where you can.

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I am hoping we may be able to get Davis II over here. 

Idk. I think you can hide a guard pretty easy with a good ol. I  also think guard and rb have a lot in common. While OL are much higher demand, Guard is easily the lowest demand and easiest to fill OL spot. Both over achieve their position by a considerable margin. I do think a G is worth more than a RB, and I think those are maybe the 2 guys in the league you should be happiest to over pay. 

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Collaros can be the best qb in the league and still be over paid. 

I think with Strev in the fold to fill in the gaps of what ZC doesn't bring to the table, ZC is more consistent in delivering this coming season.

We're looking good heading into 2024 with this QB tandem.

Wouldn't take any other QB duo from the eight other teams over these guys.  

Just now, JCon said:

NI guards are important because NIs in skilled positions are much rarer. You need NIs, so you plug them in where you can.

I think that is why we see soo much OL talent for sure in the NI pool. However, because of literally decades upon decades of over valuing NI ol, that has become a deeper and deeper talent pool. To the point the top NI ol every year are NFL bound. And not just 1 or 2 guys, but many gets are getting camp invites, priority FA deals, and nfl draft picks. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Idk. I think you can hide a guard pretty easy with a good ol. I  also think guard and rb have a lot in common. While OL are much higher demand, Guard is easily the lowest demand and easiest to fill OL spot. Both over achieve their position by a considerable margin. I do think a G is worth more than a RB, and I think those are maybe the 2 guys in the league you should be happiest to over pay. 

I was happy not to pay Drew - for the record. 

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I think with Strev in the fold to fill in the gaps of what ZC doesn't bring to the table, ZC is more consistent in delivering this coming season.

We're looking good heading into 2024 with this QB tandem.

Wouldn't take any other QB duo from the eight other teams over these guys.  

I agree. I would also add that the change to RT will also help him. The less hits collaros takes the better he performs. This is universally true with qbs, but soo much more so with collaros. A comfortable collaros can make scoring a TD on every drive look easy. An un comfortable collaros looks like hes gonna snap and soon retire. 

Just now, Geebrr said:

Sure - but those teams don’t have our kind or commit to the run like us. 

its volume based as well BO had far and away most carries, so production by an import could be very comparable...Brown in Edm had for example 75 less carries, and also had a higher yards per carry average, behind a garbage oline, and literally no passing game.

Oullette had 82 less...and .2 yards less per carry

Butler was closets to carries....260 to 235...and a lesser yards per rush, but offered more in passing game

A quality back with volume...behind a good oline would offer more than adequate production...possibly more with a commitment to the run....for 1/3 the price if a rookie...and there are lots out there....Brady is great and hope he kills it again, and cant see him not.....just thats a lot of cheddar for replaceable work...and not a ratio need

Dont get me wrong...glad we retained him...just hope the price doesn't sacrifice something elsewhere...so curious to what Oullette will be getting, and if he was hard lined in th sand at over 160k for an import then I would take BO over that as paying an import anything over that is as dumb as Hardricks 235K