2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

13 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Not dumb IF you're aim is to retain ol vets so you can stick with the status quo....and that's what this smells like....Big hearted Osh ...but that ain't smart football

It's a curious move for sure. I'm not willing to **** on it until I see JT taking up a roster spot and/or the contract amount. Could very well be he is in the press box for most of the season or that we signed him to a league min no money up front and told him he has to win a job in camp.

Edited by GCn20

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Not dumb IF you're aim is to retain ol vets so you can stick with the status quo....and that's what this smells like....Big hearted Osh ...but that ain't smart football

Depth signing at this point. No guarantee he'll pass the training camp physical. And if he does? Can Jordan Younger stand up to MOS? Because, sorry to say it, but with both Jake and Biggie aging out - there's a real vulnerability inside the box.

JT could be a very good, seasoned vet, behind Lawson. Providing depth on a limited basis. Or, if there are injuries. I would prefer to just move on but the Bombers must believe he has one year left in the tank. 

Edited by JCon

Even as a depth signing this just feels dumb to me, shouldn't our depth be young guys learning with upside. Full of P&V, going out and running over people when they get on the field? We need to build for the future, not hang on to the past. Do Walters and O'Shea have that little faith in their scouts and the players they have / will draft? Just mind boggling, I need to walk away...

1 hour ago, Booch said:

poor signing...money that could have went elsewhere....Like retaining a young usefull Canadian with upside like BOLO....Going toward Mason Bennett....Part of that toward Schoen...or whomever and fill his spot with a draft pick with upside other than running up and down field on special teams...especially when there may be even fewer special team snaps now with possible new kick off rules....so dumb

majority of his sacks are the result of guys like JJ...WJ and others basically funneling the QB right into him....where have you seen him use speed...technique....power to blow up O-line guys to get a sack...very rare...especially the last 3..4 yrs

We can't just put rookies in every depth position either. There still need to be vets with experience scattered around. 

Just now, GCJenks said:

Even as a depth signing this just feels dumb to me, shouldn't our depth be young guys learning with upside. Full of P&V, going out and running over people when they get on the field? We need to build for the future, not hang on to the past. Do Walters and O'Shea have that little faith in their scouts and the players they have / will draft? Just mind boggling, I need to walk away...

I think we all need to keep in mind that vets do get cut. 

He isn’t in pen in the lineup despite what some may believe. 

They may not like what they see in FA as a replacement. They may have their eye on a guy in the draft. 

I wouldn’t lose sleep about it right now. 

Just now, Goalie said:

They wouldn’t have signed him this early if he wasn’t gonna be a starter. U think he’s coming back to just not play? lol. They could have waited. He’s starting. 

He was already transitioning to a back up last season.

Lawson is going to play ahead up Thomas. But it's DL, so there's lots of reps to go around. We also have two returning NI DT's along with anyone who's drafted to come in and compete for time. 

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

They wouldn’t have signed him this early if he wasn’t gonna be a starter. U think he’s coming back to just not play? lol. They could have waited. He’s starting. 

Again - if it goes to FA he may leave and now you are facing an even bigger problem. 

So, no. That logic doesn’t check out. 

2 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

As long as it’s in a back up role I’m fine with it, he’s a good rotational piece. The problem was trotting him out as a starter all season long.

Yes sir, he ran out of gas real quick as the game progressed.

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Again - if it goes to FA he may leave and now you are facing an even bigger problem. 

So, no. That logic doesn’t check out. 

lol, yeah, what does he mean "early"?

This is as late as it gets.

13 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

If they didn't re-sign Jake we'd see a lot more of Schmekel this year, which may or may not be a problem.

I'm wondering if they've talked to Mason Bennett representative already and found out he wasn't coming to Wpg so they figured Jake is better than what else is out there....??

51 minutes ago, Jesse said:

We can't just put rookies in every depth position either. There still need to be vets with experience scattered around. 

doesnt have to be a rookie.....but a younger player with upside...and we already have that Schmeckle guy (I dont Want him on the roster , but what does it say about coaches thoughts on him if they have to bring back Thomas?...and lord help us if they roster both of them as "depth" )..and the other one coming back with Last name starting with K....no need for jake....I get it..he a vet ...blah blah blah....but he is easily replaced...has no use on any teams, and is for a lack of a better word...just in the way now...its just again..the start of questionable to poor roster use and management, and just one more spot next yr we will need to replace...do it now before your Grey Cup at home year

45 minutes ago, Jesse said:

He was already transitioning to a back up last season.

Lawson is going to play ahead up Thomas. But it's DL, so there's lots of reps to go around. We also have two returning NI DT's along with anyone who's drafted to come in and compete for time. 

which makes even more sense to not bring him back...Let the young guys earn that back up spot

Edited by Booch

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm wondering if they've talked to Mason Bennett representative already and found out he wasn't coming to Wpg so they figured Jake is better than what else is out there....??

if Jake is better than anything else out there...the free agent pool is crap

Just now, rebusrankin said:

Not thrilled about the Jake news. I mean maybe if they know that Mason Bennett and Kongbo are both a no but this could have waited till TC imo.

NOBODY will be beating Thomas' door down in FA until all the big fish are scooped up.....nobody