2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Noeller said:

For me, Sergio might be the most important FA we have remaining...

I don't know if most but definitely important.

It was such a pleasure after a TD to continue to celebrate while they line up for the EP and not fret will the EP will be made.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I don't know if most but definitely important.

It was such a pleasure after a TD to continue to celebrate while they line up for the EP and not fret will the EP will be made.

When that FG in the GC was blocked, I jumped up screaming! "I knew that SOB would miss!! I knew it!!" Even though it was blocked I had zero confidence he would make it. I just knew that there was a good chance Liegghio would miss. Sure it was blocked but Dunigan was saying in their regular season kickoff show that he shanked it anyway had it not been blocked. Meanwhile, Castillo was virtually money all season. I have no idea why we don't lock him up on a 2 or 3 year deal.

It's great that Liegghio had a fine year in Hamilton but there's still a part of me who would never trust him when the chips are down. I'm glad he's gone. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Poopkup

houston 

Castillo 

rose

thomas

kola 

I can’t see more than 1 of those guys being back. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Why would we be surprised if Walker comes back? He’s been good 

Walker really took a good step forward last year. He’s not sayles but he won’t be nearly as expensive either. Great value bringing him back I’m sure. 

30 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Poopkup

houston 

Castillo 

rose

thomas

kola 

I can’t see more than 1 of those guys being back. 

Walker really took a good step forward last year. He’s not sayles but he won’t be nearly as expensive either. Great value bringing him back I’m sure. 

Why would you be surprised if Castillo is back? He had a great year & our kicking game wasn't in turmoil. Why would the Bombers get rid of him? If they do, then whatever happens kicking wise that's bad is on them. Just like 2022.

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When that FG in the GC was blocked, I jumped up screaming! "I knew that SOB would miss!! I knew it!!" Even though it was blocked I had zero confidence he would make it. I just knew that there was a good chance Liegghio would miss. Sure it was blocked but Dunigan was saying in their regular season kickoff show that he shanked it anyway had it not been blocked. Meanwhile, Casdtillo was virtually money all season. I have no idea why we don't lock him up on a 2 or 3 year deal.

It's great that Liegghio had a fine year in Hamilton but there's still a part of me who would never trust him when the chips are down. I'm glad he's gone. 

Careful what you wish for, I don't know if there is that perfect/non miss kicker.... If you watched football last week, you would have heard the phrase "wide right" which involved a kicker. 

Now a few years ago, after Medlock retired/left us and we were searching for a kicker near completion of the 2019 season as the kicking game needed to improve. There was an out cry by a some on here to get Cdn status Lirim Hajirullaha back after he had been dumped by the Bombers a few years prior. Enter Castillo to the rescue and win us a cup.

Now, fast forward a few years, a repeat again (as above), this time it was Leggs is a problem, as Castillo wanted bigger money elsewhere.

I'm not saying Leggs didn't have issues, but I can see another season(s) of discussion about a need for a kicker, after Castillo looks for bigger $$$ or the spring league. I do hope we sign Castillo as you mention.

But in the real world of sports, kickers do miss at the worst of times, included those that have kicked for the Bombers (past & present), including Money Medlock or Leggs.

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why would you be surprised if Castillo is back? He had a great year & our kicking game wasn't in turmoil. Why would the Bombers get rid of him? If they do, then whatever happens kicking wise that's bad is on them. Just like 2022.

$$$ would be my guess with Castillo. He’s on my list of Guys I don’t expect back but he’s low down so part of me feels if the $$$ is right he will be back. 

Just now, camper_2 said:

Careful what you wish for, I don't know if there is that perfect/non miss kicker.... If you watched football last week, you would have heard the phrase "wide right" which involved a kicker. 

Now a few years ago, after Medlock retired/left us and we were searching for a kicker near completion of the 2019 season as the kicking game needed to improve. There was an out cry by a some on here to get Cdn status Lirim Hajirullaha back after he had been dumped by the Bombers a few years prior. Enter Castillo to the rescue and win us a cup.

Now, fast forward a few years, a repeat again (as above), this time it was Leggs is a problem, as Castillo wanted bigger money elsewhere.

I'm not saying Leggs didn't have issues, but I can see another season(s) of discussion about a need for a kicker, after Castillo looks for bigger $$$ or the spring league. I do hope we sign Castillo as you mention.

But in the real world of sports, kickers do miss at the worst of times, included those that have kicked for the Bombers (past & present), including Money Medlock or Leggs.

What I wish for is Castillo comes back. The nightmare is giving the kicking job to some deer in the headlights rookie who has already missed the kick before he even started. That's what happened with Lieghhio. He couldn't handle the pressure. Kickers in the CFL don't make a ton of money. Unless you're Jason Medlock, you're not making $200,000 a year. So, signing him is a matter of priority & not affordability. If Walters doesn't want him back that is a decision he'll make. You'd think after the fiasco of 2022, he learned his lesson. Kicking cost us a Grey Cup.

Just now, Goalie said:

$$$ would be my guess with Castillo. He’s on my list of Guys I don’t expect back but he’s low down so part of me feels if the $$$ is right he will be back. 

They can make it work, I'm sure.

If Sergio could kick off punt and kick fgs, perhaps a different story. I thought he could tho. I feel they go global or cdn at kicker tho. Instead of wasting an import spot. Would like to see Jackson released also just to not give O’Shea that option. 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

No, same thing as 2023 cost us a Grey Cup... ineffective offense.

When the chips were down & Legs HAD to make it.... He didn't & that was the bottom line. That's why Walters & O'Shea got rid of him. They lost trust in his ability to make the pressure kicks.

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

If Sergio could kick off punt and kick fgs, perhaps a different story. I thought he could tho. I feel they go global or cdn at kicker tho. Instead of wasting an import spot. Would like to see Jackson released also just to not give O’Shea that option. 

Not happening. MOS be like

8dsv4b.jpg

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Same place as with Castillo last year.... hell we had a worse record and lost the Grey cup by a larger margin

We lost one more regular season game in 2023 than in 2022. We lost the GC by 4 points in 2023 instead of by one in 2022. So, you're saying we had a worse season?

That's like Jim Kirk saying to Federation Agriculture Under Secretary Nilz Baris in ST: TOS Episode, "The Trouble With Tribbles", I was not aware Mr. Baris that twelve  Klingons constitutes a swarm". ;)

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When the chips were down & Legs HAD to make it.... He didn't & that was the bottom line. That's why Walters & O'Shea got rid of him. They lost trust in his ability to make the pressure kicks.

When the chips were down he had a kick blocked. We will never know where that kick would have ended up without the block.