2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It’s kind of a double draft because a bunch of U Sports guys deferred.  But there could be some 3rd and 4th year guys eligible who defer to 2025 as well in the next few months.

With deferrals and the popularity of bringing Canadians into nfl camps the draft could be any till the end of nfl priority rookie free agency at the earliest. 

4 minutes ago, Jesse said:

And we now have 10 draft picks, so maybe there's some potential to replace some depth/STers with a few more minimum contracts. 

Please no more pure teams cover guys. Please. 

16 minutes ago, Jesse said:

There is never as much saved space as people try and project. 

The cap also doesn’t apply till you announce your final roster. The cfl cap is one of the more simple, easily manipulated and fixable in all of sports. And the punishments are light. 

41 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Good news for the Bombers if Brown signs with Ottawa.

I wouldn't call it good news, but definitely the best case scenario if we had to lose him.

8 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Hopefully we offer Schoen a 3 year deal, less cash in 24, more in 26

Give him high signing bonus 150k and guaranteed 150k in 26 for 220k per year.

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

With deferrals and the popularity of bringing Canadians into nfl camps the draft could be any till the end of nfl priority rookie free agency at the earliest. 

Please no more pure teams cover guys. Please. 

The cap also doesn’t apply till you announce your final roster. The cfl cap is one of the more simple, easily manipulated and fixable in all of sports. And the punishments are light. 

Agreed. If we need to take the 100k fine to go 100k over....lets do it.

we will now see if Brown was a product of his environment...familiarity with scheme...coaching....roster...being all he has known for 3 yrs....or if he is the real deal....Gut tells me he will struggle quite a bit if he comes out of camp as the number 1

1 minute ago, Booch said:

we will now see if Brown was a product of his environment...familiarity with scheme...coaching....roster...being all he has known for 3 yrs....or if he is the real deal....Gut tells me he will struggle quite a bit if he comes out of camp as the number 1

I think he will have his good games and bad games. Having the team on your shoulders takes some time to get used to. I have no doubt he is a future starter in this league, but like every guy going into their first starting gig there will be some hiccups.

16 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Bombers signed a qb today as well. 

Barriere has incredible tools that match his nutty college numbers almost 14k passing yards, 121tds 29 ints, almost 1600 rush yards and 22 rush tds. (Broke Nichols passing yards record). First video was a pretty viral performance 600 yards 8tds. 
 4.7 40 but he’s faster than his time, and 38 inch vert while tossing 70+ yard bombs. His accuracy on deep balls is better than you’d expect with those raw tools too. 
 The catch, decision making, and size. He’s really more like 5’10 190. 

21 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I wouldn't call it good news, but definitely the best case scenario if we had to lose him.

Give him high signing bonus 150k and guaranteed 150k in 26 for 220k per year.

Agreed. If we need to take the 100k fine to go 100k over....lets do it.

Yep. I wouldn’t hesitate to take a fine and lose a draft pick if it mean keeping schoen. Front load his deal and anticipate paying it.  

12 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Barriere has incredible tools that match his nutty college numbers almost 14k passing yards, 121tds 29 ints, almost 1600 rush yards and 22 rush tds. (Broke Nichols passing yards record). First video was a pretty viral performance 600 yards 8tds. 
 4.7 40 but he’s faster than his time, and 38 inch vert while tossing 70+ yard bombs. His accuracy on deep balls is better than you’d expect with those raw tools too. 

Yep. I wouldn’t hesitate to take a fine and lose a draft pick if it mean keeping schoen. Front load his deal and anticipate paying it.  

official release on this: 

15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Seems like a good prospect. Same school that Nichols and Bo Levi went to right?

38 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yup, You just gave the RedBlacks the blueprint for their success cuz it aint going to happen by simple inserting him into their current structure. It's a reminder that Football is the ultimate Team sport.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I had a feeling that was the 3rd move Jackubec was talking about..... yewwwww! What a day...

so when the Bombers did the Jade Etienne / Drew Willy pre-FA trade in 2014 they signed Willy the same day as they got his rights.  It'll be interesting to see how quickly the redblacks sign him -- would they have made this deal without assurances from Brown's people that Brown would sign with Ottawa?

1 minute ago, johnzo said:

so when the Bombers did the Jade Etienne / Drew Willy pre-FA trade in 2014 they signed Willy the same day as they got his rights.  It'll be interesting to see how quickly the redblacks sign him -- would they have made this deal without assurances from Brown's people that Brown would sign with Ottawa?

I would hope that Brown's people were not talking to Ottawa unless the Bombers gave them permission to do so. 

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

I would hope that Brown's people were not talking to Ottawa unless the Bombers gave them permission to do so. 

If Walters managed to get a draft pick for a guy who wasn't signed sealed and delivered, I will be embarrassed for the redblacks.

man, we've come a long way from the days of the redblacks expansion draft.  Ten years ago they couldn't even find anyone worth drafting on our roster.  now we are supplying them with QBs.

6 minutes ago, johnzo said:

I think Arbuckle was the only QB that couldn't reach a deal with the club he was traded to, but then he had to negotiate with Marcel Desjardins.  Turns out Marcel was right.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

fwiw.... he follows this college team closely: 

The only thing keeping me from getting too excited is that he's an older prospect, but obviously not unusual for a CFL QB.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

You gotta do what you gotta do to keep him. Fine...lose a draft pick even...whatever.

49 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Seems like a good prospect. Same school that Nichols and Bo Levi went to right?

Nichols? I thought VA and BLM went to the same school?

EDIT: Nichols too before them...wow...what a CFL QB factory,

Edited by GCn20

Schoen has more friends on the Bombers than he does in Ottawa, even with Brown. The only way Dalton goes anywhere is if we can't stay in the ballpark financially.

41 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Quite a difference in cost between those 2 deals. Would Ottawa pay a 5th rounder for exclusive rights without having assurances? They probably would. That doesn't mean they didn't have something worked out just that it's not a given considering the cost. Don't forget that the asking price to negotiate with Reilly from BC was a 1st rounder that Mack said no to paying.

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Schoen has more friends on the Bombers than he does in Ottawa, even with Brown. The only way Dalton goes anywhere is if we can't stay in the ballpark financially.

You have a lot of inside information....

You have a lot of inside information....

Inside information or common sense? Schoen loves it here. A team is going to have to be 10% higher than us to get him.

Edited by GCn20