2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

It has to open for some of them first. Not sure it is for schoen or Brady. Not hearing of any workouts for either 

As for Stanley, Welcome back. 

honestly I have a weird feeling about bombers bringing back all the vets. I feel that things could get ugly if time decides to catch up on these guys all at once. Thought signs were showing last season now doubling down a year later. 

I’m optimistic that we’re not going to be bringing back ALL the vets.

A welcome step in the right direction would be to be saying goodbye to Bighill but I would imagine that isn’t likely, considering he almost definitely had a roster bonus on the 15th.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’m optimistic that we’re not going to be bringing back ALL the vets.

A welcome step in the right direction would be to be saying goodbye to Bighill but I would imagine that isn’t likely, considering he almost definitely had a roster bonus on the 15th.

Oshea will be cold in the ground before he tells bighill to go away.  Best we can hope for is there's competition that limits his importance 

46 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They aren't getting any from what I understand. So, why the delay by these 2 players?

If Brady is serious about "getting paid" he might wait until FA to see what offers come his way to max. his value, same goes for Schoen for all we know.  Sooner than later Walters needs to set offers within his budget and stick with them, can't let two players disrupt the game plan and piss off half the team in the process.  If a number of valued players (Jeffcoat, Bailey, Walker, Grant, Castillo etc.) get within 2 weeks of FA without being signed, they might decide to wait it out to see what happens.  Which could end up costing the Bombers more money and risk losing players they had no intention of parting with.

4 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

If Brady is serious about "getting paid" he might wait until FA to see what offers come his way to max. his value, same goes for Schoen for all we know.  Sooner than later Walters needs to set offers within his budget and stick with them, can't let two players disrupt the game plan and piss off half the team in the process.  If a number of valued players (Jeffcoat, Bailey, Walker, Grant, Castillo etc.) get within 2 weeks of FA without being signed, they might decide to wait it out to see what happens.  Which could end up costing the Bombers more money and risk losing players they had no intention of parting with.

Why would you think it would piss other players off?

Bailey and grant and a few others like that are probably the guys we make those tough decisions oN. Yes not saving a ton with a rookie salary but those are the “vets” who aren’t a priority in my opinion. Schoen and Brady and prob a backup QB with experience (Strev) higher on food chain 

15 hours ago, Tracker said:

Kenny Lawler restructures contract with Winnipeg Blue Bombers

By
 John Hodge
 -
January 16, 2024
CANO3073-696x464.jpg Photo: Reuben Polansky/3DownNation. All rights reserved.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ receiver Kenny Lawler has restructured his contract for the 2024 season, per league sources.

The six-foot-two, 199-pound target received a $150,000 signing bonus to ink his new deal, which includes $115,000 in base salary, a $13,800 housing bonus, and a $7,200 travel bonus. In total, Lawler will earn $285,000 in hard money this year.

The 29-year-old was originally slated to earn $310,000 in 2024, though he’s expected to net more on his new deal as signing bonuses are taxed at a lower rate for American players. He had a $125,000 off-season roster bonus due on Monday, Jan. 15, which led to his deal being renegotiated.

I don't want to sound like a naysayer, but when I look up receiver salaries from last year, 3down reported that Kenny was supposed to earn 250k in hard money with a max of 258. If we're taking these numbers at face value, Kenny is still getting a significant raise this year. Not as much of a raise as he was scheduled to get, but it still represents less money from last year, not more.

4 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I don't want to sound like a naysayer, but when I look up receiver salaries from last year, 3down reported that Kenny was supposed to earn 250k in hard money with a max of 258. If we're taking these numbers at face value, Kenny is still getting a significant raise this year. Not as much of a raise as he was scheduled to get, but it still represents less money from last year, not more.

It was reported that year 2 was 300k. 

23 minutes ago, JCon said:

It was reported that year 2 was 300k. 

But I'm talking about the difference from Year 1 to Year 2.

It's wonderful that he's taking less than he was supposed to, but it still represents more of our cap space than he took up last year (if the numbers reported are to be believed - which is iffy at best, of course). 

37 minutes ago, Jesse said:

That’s a good point. We are saving money on the expected spending this year, not over what we paid last year. 

On the one hand professional football is a very short career and a player needs to secure the best compensation possible.

On the other hand there's still something to be said to playing for one team, carving out a nice career where you are well compensated and building something in the community setting yourself up nicely for a career after your playing days in or outside of professional football.

With Brady I am most curious to see just how stupid people are with what they offer him.... Guy I really want to see come back but not at any price and if someone breaks the bank for him I can really see them having a case of buyers remorse. No one commits to the run game like Winnipeg does, and without that commitment a guy like that probably doesn't have the same impact. 

6 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Added career stress and anxiety of waiting around not knowing if they will be looking for a new job in a new town with new people within a few months.

Should the CFL open FA earlier? Perhaps after December? That's the only way you can alleviate those concerns. 

Unfortunately, even with a contract, you're always on edge. 

21 hours ago, Noeller said:

when the news is regularly as shitty as it is over there, the bar for "good news" is extremely low.....  

If one can consider paying Harris 500k again this year as good news....then hooray for them.

19 hours ago, Mike said:

I would imagine Lawler restructuring (which was filed with the league two days ago, only announced today) will lead to a move more consequential than Stanley coming back.

I would assume we’ll hear Schoen is back before the end of the week.

God I hope you are right. Would be the best move we make all offseason.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

interesting that Stan took a cut.........

Interesting, but not all that surprising to me. Stan is the GOAT but last year we saw him slightly decline. Before anyone jumps down my throat, Stan despite declining is still an elite OT. 

Just now, Noeller said:

I seem to recall Booch or someone talking about how the Bombers really needed to get this done, as the existing turf was really starting to show its age...

Finally!!! If you've been on that field in recent years, you know that there is not much left of the "grass". 

Fort Hew is getting re-shoed. 

some details: 

Installing new turf at IG Field is part of the Winnipeg Football Club’s commitment to providing the best possible conditions for our football and soccer players. Field Turf Vertex- Core 1 is the highest quality turf system and includes CoolPlay TPE infill, designed to reduce heat build-up in the summer months. The turf will be FIFA Quality Pro certified upon completion.  

“We are thrilled to partner with FieldTurf for this important upgrade to IG Field,” said Wade Miller, President and CEO of the Winnipeg Football Club. “This investment is part of our ongoing capital improvement projects to the stadium and will be a great new surface for our players as we prepare to host the 2025 Grey Cup.”

The project is underway and is slated for completion in early May, just in time for the 2024 season; to provide ample time for completion, Valour FC matches and Blue Bombers games will be scheduled to begin the last week of May.