2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Cole improved a lot as the season went on.

thats what happens when u give skilled ballers a chance and dont block them with past their prime garbage, or guys on roster serving no purpose...we have a couple other guys who would have been impactful if the HC didnt play fav's and roster people for unknown reasons

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yikes

double yikes!!!....Sure let them come and battle...tho thats just wasted TC roster spots....but if he....and not sure who else was referred to...but say a Briggs..thats an epic fail...with recruitment...and most of all HC decision making...No way a guy like that..Briggs...Jackson....Schmeckle...Bennet....Kolo...should even make the team let alone active roster....Bennett I know was a last yr draft pick...same with Schmeckle but showed zipittydodah...and also aren't the future...There are also others who are on the list of if they make game day roster...its a fail...big time

......triple yikes.......old soldiers have to know when to pull the pin....I doubt Thomas makes the squad and will probably be beat out....But yeah ...tc spots are served better with our up and comers ....not hanging on to vets who can't cut it anymore

3 hours ago, Booch said:

thats what happens when u give skilled ballers a chance and dont block them with past their prime garbage, or guys on roster serving no purpose...we have a couple other guys who would have been impactful if the HC didnt play fav's and roster people for unknown reasons

Great. Thanks for chiming in with the identical post for the 850th time this year. No one is arguing your point and you won't change anyone's mind who disagrees. It's been a year of this. It feels pretty redundant. Give it a rest at least for the offseason. If the same issues crop up next year OK....fair enough...fire away.

Edited by GCn20

44 minutes ago, Stickem said:

......triple yikes.......old soldiers have to know when to pull the pin....I doubt Thomas makes the squad and will probably be beat out....But yeah ...tc spots are served better with our up and comers ....not hanging on to vets who can't cut it anymore

I bet 95% of players want to come back until they are told behind closed doors that its not gonna happen. There is no YIKES moment yet. If the Bombers sign him then we can say YIKES.

20 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Hopefully Walters is a little ruthless this off season in terms of who is brought back.

he needs to take that choice right out of Osh's hands....to be honest

8 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Great. Thanks for chiming in with the identical post for the 850th time this year. No one is arguing your point and you won't change anyone's mind who disagrees. It's been a year of this. It feels pretty redundant. Give it a rest at least for the offseason. If the same issues crop up next year OK....fair enough...fire away.

bite it...u chime in too with some repetitive narrative, everyone does....and Osh has already said...he see's no issues with roster and some aging , and non productive players...so yeah...its alredy reared its head

Just now, Brandon said:

I'd rather our depth guys be players needing experience and with a higher upside then keeping guys who are old and very average on the decline. 

guys who can actually become contributors on offence/defence that are not just position holders

32 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Hopefully Walters is a little ruthless this off season in terms of who is brought back.

It's highly unlikely Walters is going to have the budget to go shopping in free agency to find seamless upgrades in many positions. The natural way to implement this is through recruitment and the draft, if solid replacements show they have the ability to progress, they move up to replace the established vets.   For ex. Schmekel or Kornelson will replace Jake when they demonstrate they are better, or a cheaper alternative that will not detract from the D-lines overall effectiveness. O'Shea is not going to cut Thomas and plug in a deadbeat unless there is an advantage to be found.

15 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

It's highly unlikely Walters is going to have the budget to go shopping in free agency to find seamless upgrades in many positions. The natural way to implement this is through recruitment and the draft, if solid replacements show they have the ability to progress, they move up to replace the established vets.   For ex. Schmekel or Kornelson will replace Jake when they demonstrate they are better, or a cheaper alternative that will not detract from the D-lines overall effectiveness. O'Shea is not going to cut Thomas and plug in a deadbeat unless there is an advantage to be found.

I'd argue that Lawson has moved ahead of Thomas, Eli has moved ahead of Kolo and Cole deserves a shot ahead of Wilson but that MOS would likely stick with the vet in each case. We need to get younger since we;ve had the same core since 2019. 

55 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd argue that Lawson has moved ahead of Thomas, Eli has moved ahead of Kolo and Cole deserves a shot ahead of Wilson but that MOS would likely stick with the vet in each case. We need to get younger since we;ve had the same core since 2019. 

As it stands they still need 2 Natl. DT's to rotate, Lawson has probably moved ahead of Thomas as the starter and has already re-signed, it's what happens behind him that is in question. Don't agree Kyrie Wilson should be replaced by Cole, as I see Wilson as the eventual replacement for Bighill.  Cole is better as a swiss army knife used in certain situations, Clements has a better handle on the WIL job and is an important player to re-sign.

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Other than Lawson who is a stud....the other 3 Canadian lineman mentioned, as well as Bennett have next to no upside, and really if we draft well, recruit well and maybe get a savvy free agent pick up or pull off a trade like how we got Lawson all 4 of them should be kicking stones after TC...And truthfully if we keep BO  we don't even need a National Dline man other than a Backup to Lawson to meet the ratio if we choose to continue the Kramdi thing, and or a Canadian takes over at safety....or maybe a corner spot.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Lawson had moved ahead of him in 2022...but was basically pushed behind Thomas for no other reason than discussed on here ad nausium...I wont say why as to not ruffle the feathers of a certain poster lol

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

As it stands they still need 2 Natl. DT's to rotate, Lawson has probably moved ahead of Thomas as the starter and has already re-signed, it's what happens behind him that is in question. Don't agree Kyrie Wilson should be replaced by Cole, as I see Wilson as the eventual replacement for Bighill.  Cole is better as a swiss army knife used in certain situations, Clements has a better handle on the WIL job and is an important player to re-sign.

Cole should be at SAM....would thrive there...one our best sideline to sideline guys...can play physical, and run with RB's and slots....and can tackle....3 things our SAM position lacked

18 hours ago, Booch said:

he needs to take that choice right out of Osh's hands....to be honest

bite it...u chime in too with some repetitive narrative, everyone does....and Osh has already said...he see's no issues with roster and some aging , and non productive players...so yeah...its alredy reared its head

It hasn't reared it's head until it's reared it's head. We won't know that until we see the game 1 roster.

17 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

I agree. You don't find a replacement by playing a revolving door of sub par players hoping you catch lightning in a bottle. About the only curious move I saw of a player getting held back a bit last year was Haba, and that was because he needed to work on his run stopping. I'm not a marine lover by any stretch of the imagination and MOS may have overvalued him as well, but if someone was jumping off the page and too good to hold out of the lineup they would have been in there. I think Thomas is a poor example because Lawson looks ready for prime time, but we've heard the name Bighill thrown around as needing replacement....he was just selected a CFLPA allstar...someone wants his job they need to take it and not be handed it because of a date on the calendar.

16 hours ago, Booch said:

Other than Lawson who is a stud....the other 3 Canadian lineman mentioned, as well as Bennett have next to no upside, and really if we draft well, recruit well and maybe get a savvy free agent pick up or pull off a trade like how we got Lawson all 4 of them should be kicking stones after TC...And truthfully if we keep BO  we don't even need a National Dline man other than a Backup to Lawson to meet the ratio if we choose to continue the Kramdi thing, and or a Canadian takes over at safety....or maybe a corner spot.

Lawson had moved ahead of him in 2022...but was basically pushed behind Thomas for no other reason than discussed on here ad nausium...I wont say why as to not ruffle the feathers of a certain poster lol

Cole should be at SAM....would thrive there...one our best sideline to sideline guys...can play physical, and run with RB's and slots....and can tackle....3 things our SAM position lacked

Lawson played more snaps this season than Thomas did.

Edited by GCn20

17 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Agree that Lawson is ahead of Thomas and am quite certain that will be the case this year again. Eli needs a spot, for sure. Not sure that Cole has outperformed Wilson in any way though? Other than WIlson being a veteran what is your gripe with his play? Need to get younger...sure...but guys have to step up and take these roles away from the vets and we have no evidence that they have done so and are being held back from a starting position. A loose argument could be made that some young guys like Cole and Haba should get more rotational time, but they in way, shape, or form outperformed the starter they are behind other than they look like they might be able to in the future with more development. I'll take WIlson and Jeffcoat over Cole and Haba until something is pretty clearly evident that it needs change.

19 hours ago, Booch said:

double yikes!!!....Sure let them come and battle...tho thats just wasted TC roster spots....but if he....and not sure who else was referred to...but say a Briggs..thats an epic fail...with recruitment...and most of all HC decision making...No way a guy like that..Briggs...Jackson....Schmeckle...Bennet....Kolo...should even make the team let alone active roster....Bennett I know was a last yr draft pick...same with Schmeckle but showed zipittydodah...and also aren't the future...There are also others who are on the list of if they make game day roster...its a fail...big time

I don't mind the Bombers giving draft picks a really good look for development. However, Briggs, Jackson, and IF Eli beats out Kolo (which he should) then yea these three would be a fail if they are not replaced.

21 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Aw, come on, give him a break. It's only January 3. There's no way his number is that high!🙂

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Agree that Lawson is ahead of Thomas and am quite certain that will be the case this year again. Eli needs a spot, for sure. Not sure that Cole has outperformed Wilson in any way though? Other than WIlson being a veteran what is your gripe with his play? Need to get younger...sure...but guys have to step up and take these roles away from the vets and we have no evidence that they have done so and are being held back from a starting position. A loose argument could be made that some young guys like Cole and Haba should get more rotational time, but they in way, shape, or form outperformed the starter they are behind other than they look like they might be able to in the future with more development. I'll take WIlson and Jeffcoat over Cole and Haba until something is pretty clearly evident that it needs change.

I don't mind the Bombers giving draft picks a really good look for development. However, Briggs, Jackson, and IF Eli beats out Kolo (which he should) then yea these three would be a fail if they are not replaced.

Cole for Wilson was more an older vet who has had some injury issues and a young player who seems to have earned more time. I'd prefer Jeffcoat too, just want a quality backup to rotate with he and Jefferson.