2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

11 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

OK fair enough, although I'm not sure Johnny A was really given the chance to actually compete for the starting job. He never got enough reps. Few starts he managed to get in prior years, he show some real flashes. I know I'm in the minority but I think he's very under-rated. 

That’s kind of the point. He is never allowed to touch the ball. He gets a few token Carrie’s at the end of blowouts. Even last year, when Brady struggled for half the season, JA got next to no carries.

The coaching staff clearly has no faith in him as an offensive piece.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

OK fair enough, although I'm not sure Johnny A was really given the chance to actually compete for the starting job. He never got enough reps. Few starts he managed to get in prior years, he show some real flashes. I know I'm in the minority but I think he's very under-rated. 

Competition doesn't only take place in the games broadcast on TSN.

24 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

He got good chunks at times, as much as Brady got imo. 
 He’s a good change of pace back or a good guy to use in a 2 back package. 
 I can’t see us spending 250k+ between 2 backs, or making that work while keeping dalton/brown/improving in free agency. 

38 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

The flashes are because that's the type of back he is. Can bust some big plays but he won't grind out runs like Brady does. He's a nice change of pace type back... but that's not super useful to this offense to be honest.

2 hours ago, Doublezero said:

He shows flashes because that’s what his reps are designed for

3 hours ago, bustamente said:

Then more Holm to safety, plus I wanna get away from the any starting linebackers being Canadian unless his name is Judge

I wouldn't be surprised if Holm gets some NFL looks, by the end of the season he was the most consistent DB and playing better than Nichols.

Edited by Fatty Liver

If Brady leaves there are a ton of good options for IMP RBs that would probably excel behind our OL. RB is the least of my worries. I love BO but his magical season was greatly enhance by the OL blocking for him, and I would think that there are a ton of FA RBs drooling at the prospect of coming to play behind our OL. Calgary has 3 really good RBs, for instance, can't keep them all.

Augustine isn’t the answer if Brady goes. There’s literally hundreds of backs in the states that are faster, stronger and cheaper. 

We always start 8 or 9 Canadians anyway but…

Starting just 7 is an option. 

Sliding Gray out to RT if Hardrick retires is an option.

Going NI at safety is an option. (Hallet, Jake Kelly, draft/FA) 

All better than trying to find another Canadian RB. 

This team is built around an elite RB. Gotta have one or fundamentally change how the offence works. 

46 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Augustine isn’t the answer if Brady goes. There’s literally hundreds of backs in the states that are faster, stronger and cheaper. 

We always start 8 or 9 Canadians anyway but…

Starting just 7 is an option. 

Sliding Gray out to RT if Hardrick retires is an option.

Going NI at safety is an option. (Hallet, Jake Kelly, draft/FA) 

All better than trying to find another Canadian RB. 

This team is built around an elite RB. Gotta have one or fundamentally change how the offence works. 

Losing Buck, and probably replacing him with Lapo (ducks and covers) is going to fundamentally change our offence too. If that happens, of course.

Edited by GCn20

57 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

A little off topic, but speaking of NI RBs, what ever happened to Kyle Borsa?

Solid camp released and went back to college lost his starting job in college and wasn’t brought back this year. Disappointing they didn’t atleast bring him back. Maybe he wasn’t healthy or didn’t want to continue to try and make it. 

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Solid camp released and went back to college lost his starting job in college and wasn’t brought back this year. Disappointing they didn’t atleast bring him back. Maybe he wasn’t healthy or didn’t want to continue to try and make it. 

The Riders worked him out this season I believe. He was quickly released.

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Ford had the measurable....

10 minutes ago, Piggy 1 said:

I'm hoping we get Ford back, Houston needs to follow Biggie and Alexander out the door.

I doubt Holm makes the NFL, too small.

Even for the NFL, this is a silly notion. Ford is 5’11 188. Holm is 5’11 182. Dee Alford is 5’11 175. Dane Jackson is the same height and 180 donte Jackson is an inch shorter and also 180 Kareem Jackson is 5’10 183 etc. lots and lots of dbs in the nfl with the same or more slight build as holm. Emmanuel Forbes is 6’1 166. Half the dbs at the nfl combine this year we’re Holms weight or smaller. 

12 hours ago, GCn20 said:

If Brady leaves there are a ton of good options for IMP RBs that would probably excel behind our OL. RB is the least of my worries. I love BO but his magical season was greatly enhance by the OL blocking for him, and I would think that there are a ton of FA RBs drooling at the prospect of coming to play behind our OL. Calgary has 3 really good RBs, for instance, can't keep them all.

Dedrick Mills would be killer, at 5'-10" 228 lbs. he'd be much cheaper than Brady and fit in nicely. Stamps should keep him over often injured KaDeem Carey.

40 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Even for the NFL, this is a silly notion. Ford is 5’11 188. Holm is 5’11 182. Dee Alford is 5’11 175. Dane Jackson is the same height and 180 donte Jackson is an inch shorter and also 180 Kareem Jackson is 5’10 183 etc. lots and lots of dbs in the nfl with the same or more slight build as holm. Emmanuel Forbes is 6’1 166. Half the dbs at the nfl combine this year we’re Holms weight or smaller. 

I agree. Holms will be weighed on his play measurables though. His speed and ability to cut are probably NFL calibre. I could see him getting a shot down there.

18 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Dedrick Mills would be killer, at 5'-10" 228 lbs. he'd be much cheaper than Brady and fit in nicely. Stamps should keep him over often injured KaDeem Carey.

Totally agree. Of course, I really want BO back, but if not there are some intriguing options out there such as Mills. Mills at much cheaper probably lets us keep Schoen as well so to me it is not the end of the world if Oliveira leaves.

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Hed be a Monster here. 

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

I agree. Holms will be weighed on his play measurables though. His speed and ability to cut are probably NFL calibre. I could see him getting a shot down there.

Totally agree. Of course, I really want BO back, but if not there are some intriguing options out there such as Mills. Mills at much cheaper probably lets us keep Schoen as well so to me it is not the end of the world if Oliveira leaves.

dudes twitchy and explosive. His ability to close is really impressive. 

15 hours ago, GCn20 said:

BO is the easiest of easy to replace, and we don't "have" to have him for the ratio...That being said I hope we lock him up...and doubt he garners any serious NFL interest worth wasting 5 months trying for

16 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Holm gets some NFL looks, by the end of the season he was the most consistent DB and playing better than Nichols.

I'd be utterly shocked...He has no chance in hell for that..

15 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Logan would be unreal here

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I don't see it. At the risk of sounding too much like booch... Holm is too skinny for the NFL to look at i think.

and not nearly physical enough....and sounding like me aint such a bad thing u know hahaha

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Ford had the measurable....

and more size/stature...and not talking about height

3 hours ago, Blue In BC said:

And he didn't even land a spot on any PR. Holm was a starter much like Alford and that could draw more NFL interest.

Alford was exceptional...and physical...Holm iis neither..he's very good, but also weak

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Ford and Alford had physicality to them...and are better tacklers...also stronger....and I't not just a skinny thing I was harping at...It's strength and power....most you prob wont believe it but Grant..all 175 pounds of him in terms of strength and power is one of strongest guys on team...he easily reps 350 pounds on the bench press..He out lifted lots of Lineman for reps on the 225