Which Vets do we cut next season

Brandon

On 2023-12-02 at 4:00 PM, Tracker said:

What galls me the most about that loss was that a retread, mediocre  quarterback who spread failure everywhere he went did it to us. Had it been Adams, I would have been much more at peace. And I do not hate Fajardo- I hate that he was allowed to win.

Ritchie Hall. Blitz, blitz, blitz, blitz as we don't generate any pressure from our DL. Soft DBs who use pillows to tackle & don't punish receivers.

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

It mattered in the east final too and faj was ****. Just because Ritchie Hall fell and hit his head while preparing the game plan doesn't change a damn thing about fajardo as a quarterback. 

What does Richie Hall have to do with how we played on O?   Are you suggesting that Montreal were so lights out on D that Zach gets a pass on his performance?  

Faj was sub-par in the East Final... but he also won how many games in a row and how did he play in the Grey Cup final?     Once again why would Montreal cut the guy who helped them win the cup and completely picked apart the best team in the league?    They won't.  

It's also normal to admit that Fajardo was a superstar on the only game that mattered and that you can't blame Richie Hall or Adam Bighill or Special Marine Jackson for the reason why he played well and why we lost.   Fajardo was really good down the stretch of the season and won the big game and he deserves to start for them next season.    I don't think he's a great franchise QB and wouldn't want him at all but at least I'm not a  "riderfans" kind of fan who looks foolish making excuses rather then praising the guy for what he did and moving on.   

10 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

You better check your stats before you **** all over Zach.

Couple real bad times to turn the ball over though. Otherwise he played well I thought. Not great, but certainly good enough to win if we don't consistently and continually keep taking points off the board with turnovers. Richie Hall didn't call a gem of a game, neither did Buck, but if we protect the rock in the 2nd half all of Cody's numbers are garbage time numbers because we have built a lead he can't overcome. Quite likely Cody is forced to press the issue because of a multi-score lead we have and then starts turning it over himself.

On 2023-12-02 at 5:23 PM, 17to85 said:

See confidence was never fajardos problem. An excess of confidence was. He believed the smoke the rider media blew up his ass. That's why he was such a whiny ***** about struggling. He legit thinks he's a star qb. He's never going to be a smart qb and he's never going to have an arm that scares anyone. 

Cody is this generation's Kevin Glenn. Hot as a firecracker if you let him be, but get to him early and he falls completely apart. We didn't get to him early.

On 2023-12-02 at 5:27 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Interesting as I saw it differently. I saw a guy who played well when things were going well & a guy who could quickly lose his confidence when things went bad. If he plays smart then it doesn't matter if he has a strong arm or not. 

We kept giving him man coverage, and when a QB can't throw accurately that's the best kind for them if they have good receivers.

Edited by GCn20

On 2023-12-02 at 8:51 PM, Captain Blue said:

I feel like many here just too heavily discounted Montreal's passing offense. Even with Fajardo they have tons of useful receivers and use them to their strengths. Mack, Philpot and Snead are really good. 

Montreal's receivers had a fantastic game in the Grey Cup and made Cody look a crap ton better than how he played imo. Cody throws up a 30 yard floating duck to Mack, and he makes a tremendous adjustment and one handed catch on a ball that had no business being completed for example. I really thought that our secondary had a very poor game overall.

Edited by GCn20

19 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Montreal's receivers had a fantastic game in the Grey Cup and made Cody look a crap ton better than how he played imo. Cody throws up a 30 yard floating duck to Mack, and he makes a tremendous adjustment and one handed catch on a ball that had no business being completed for example. I really thought that our secondary had a very poor game overall.

Reminded me a bit of the 2021 WF the way the receivers bailed Collaros out in the 4th. 

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

You have to admit it was pretty unlucky, too.

I certainly don't expect the team to have 3 starting calibre receivers on the PR. 

hows it unlucky?...You had Ambles and Alston...BOLO actually on roster and I dont even recall him getting a snap....let alone a chance to make a difference.....also Mcrae tho who knows what his real status was as we dressed him for the previous game and I dont think he had cleats on, let alone a farts chance in the wind to see the field

Coaching failed us in our second straight game we pissed away...Mtl paid no real attention at all to Schoen and Bailey other than let them grab a few pointless short out patterns underneath that were'nt going to amount to anything...Demski may have been more effective tho not his usual self if we had Ambles and Bolo clearing out areas, and actually drawing attention away from him and Lawler....If Mtl failed to respect them and play way off...they would have been roasted

Edited by Booch

6 minutes ago, Jesse said:

You have to admit it was pretty unlucky, too.

I certainly don't expect the team to have 3 starting calibre receivers on the PR. 

Yea. no one has 3 starting calibre receivers waiting to go late in the season. That's not a realistic expectation. However, we did dress 2 capable guys and never used them.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

hows it unlucky?...You had Ambles and Alston...BOLO actually on roster and I dont even recall him getting a snap....let alone a chance to make a difference.....also Mcrae tho who knows what his real status was as we dressed him for the previous game and I dont think he had cleats on, let alone a farts chance in the wind to see the field

Coaching failed us in our second straight game we pissed away

McCrae was fine and so was BOLO and yes Buck failed by not using them. Not buying in on Ambles or Alston though. Not sure they were any better than any of the guys nicked up. 

Edited by GCn20

Just now, GCn20 said:

Yea. no one has 3 starting calibre receivers waiting to go late in the season. That's not a realistic expectation. However, we did dress 2 capable guys and never used them.

McCrae was fine and so was BOLO and yes Buck failed by not using them. Not buying in on Ambles or Alston though. Not sure they were any better than any of the guys nicked up. 

they were healthy, and able to actually make basic football plays...thats all we needed from them

Just now, Jesse said:

You don't think it's unlucky to have Scheon, Demski, and Bailey injured for the Grey Cup?

part of the game....the fact tho we had no contingency, or where we did...we didnt use it...Injuries suck, but also is an excuse a team lacking depth makes...we didnt have that excuse up to 2021...we use it ad nauseum now tho...and it's a glaring weakness

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

they were healthy, and able to actually make basic football plays...thats all we needed from them

part of the game....the fact tho we had no contingency, or where we did...we didnt use it...Injuries suck, but also is an excuse a team lacking depth makes...we didnt have that excuse up to 2021...we use it ad nauseum now tho...and it's a glaring weakness

Sorry, I am not buying into Ambles/Alston over Schoen/Demski. We had McCrae and BOLO sitting there in the wings and that is more than reasonable depth. We just didn't use it.

Just now, GCn20 said:

Sorry, I am not buying into Ambles/Alston over Schoen/Demski. We had McCrae and BOLO sitting there in the wings and that is more than reasonable depth. We just didn't use it.

Not pull Demski...Bailey....No player with a torn Hammy is of am=ny use and was just going thru the motions, as more a decoy and when Mtl realized he and Schoen were of zero threat...Limited Demski and Lawler were smothered...and if Ambles wasnt worth a cup of piss and not gonna be used...why was he here?...and yeah Bolo dressed....didnt see field....and Mcrae was there but not on roster....but game prior what was point of dressing him?

I get your point, but any receiver....a guy right off the street who could run a basic set of routes, and had hands would have helped the offence out....and remember...Osh said all our guys are number ones...thats why we they are here...well coach...back that crap up then and stand by it and put money where your mouth is.....and he didnt...and we payed for it

12 minutes ago, Booch said:

Not pull Demski...Bailey....No player with a torn Hammy is of am=ny use and was just going thru the motions, as more a decoy and when Mtl realized he and Schoen were of zero threat...Limited Demski and Lawler were smothered...and if Ambles wasnt worth a cup of piss and not gonna be used...why was he here?...and yeah Bolo dressed....didnt see field....and Mcrae was there but not on roster....but game prior what was point of dressing him?

I get your point, but any receiver....a guy right off the street who could run a basic set of routes, and had hands would have helped the offence out....and remember...Osh said all our guys are number ones...thats why we they are here...well coach...back that crap up then and stand by it and put money where your mouth is.....and he didnt...and we payed for it

Ambles was purely an emergency guy IF we couldn't dress Schoen/Bailey/Demski, and Alston looked completely lost out there in his start. He just didn't know our system well enough yet. That's not to say that he won't be a good receiver but he looked pretty terrible in his play time he did get. Super struggled with the waggle. I went back and watched Ambles last couple games in TO, and he was god awful and looked like he lost a couple steps. However, McCrae and BOLO both looked like contributors this year and had carnal knowledge of our playbook. I just don't understand not using them. I know a lot of ppl here are not huge McCrae as a receiver fans, but he really did have an impact game against Montreal already this year. Even Grant, could have seen some more spot duty in the offence. We didn't run a single sweep except to Demski. McCrae and Grant running a few sweeps would have made a lot more sense.

Edited by GCn20

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

I'm sure Ambles is wondering that too.  You bring in a veteran receiver as a back-up in case of injuries and then don't use him when that exact scenario plays out. What was the point of signing him?

BOLO is also a pending FA.  Unless he was also banged up, what does that say about his future with the club?  It doesn't exactly send a vote of confidence that he can't get a single ball thrown his way, despite how depleted the receiving core was.

56 minutes ago, Booch said:

Coaching failed us in our second straight game we pissed away...Mtl paid no real attention at all to Schoen and Bailey other than let them grab a few pointless short out patterns underneath that were'nt going to amount to anything...Demski may have been more effective tho not his usual self if we had Ambles and Bolo clearing out areas, and actually drawing attention away from him and Lawler....If Mtl failed to respect them and play way off...they would have been roasted

Had the making for a good news story that we will never know if it would have turned out that way.

41 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I can't image that BOOL wants to stay and I can imagine a few teams wanting him. 

BOOL may leave for a starting role, but only IF he can find one.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

I'm sure Ambles is wondering that too.  You bring in a veteran receiver as a back-up in case of injuries and then don't use him when that exact scenario plays out. What was the point of signing him?

BOLO is also a pending FA.  Unless he was also banged up, what does that say about his future with the club?  It doesn't exactly send a vote of confidence that he can't get a single ball thrown his way, despite how depleted the receiving core was.

I think it says that the Bombers feel that Demski and Woli are better than him.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Ambles signed a PR deal after no one in the league wanted him. I think he was pretty darn aware of his situation.

20 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

BOOL may leave for a starting role, but only IF he can find one.

I think it says that the Bombers feel that Demski and Woli are better than him.

Ambles signed a PR deal after no one in the league wanted him. I think he was pretty darn aware of his situation.

Same with Roosevelt the year before, never played a snap.