Which Vets do we cut next season

Brandon

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

Not a chance. Running backs aren’t big earners.

The funny thing is we’ve asked Bighill to do this a ton. And he used to be able to.

He’s the first one I want to see go. Can’t stand him anymore.

He’s signed for next year. Back guaranteed.

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Where do you prioritize him around Jefferson, Jeffcoat, Schoen, Oliviera, the entire OL, Wolitarsky, Lawson, Walker?

There's a strong possibility he's asked to take a pay cut again and says no.

I’m not arguing for it, but I can’t even imagine a scenario that sees MOS cutting Bighill. Does not compute. 

I also don’t really believe the difference between Bighill’s salary and his replacement is going to make or break our cap situation.

27 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I’m not arguing for it, but I can’t even imagine a scenario that sees MOS cutting Bighill. Does not compute. 

I also don’t really believe the difference between Bighill’s salary and his replacement is going to make or break our cap situation.

Okay. But let’s not ignore the fact that he is beyond finished. I don’t care about the cap. He’s bad.

1 hour ago, True Dru said:

Bighill in the Free Press today...

The veteran linebacker also wanted to clear the air on what happened on the 23-yard touchdown Als quarterback Cody Fajardo threw to Cole Spieker in the third quarter with Bighill in coverage.

“If you guys in the media are maybe a little bit more savvy watching football than maybe your average person, you know that we don’t ask linebackers to cover receivers vertically down the field,” Bighill said. “Let’s just say I was trying to cover up and help out. Was that my man in man-to-man coverage? No. But it’s OK, there was a miscommunication that Montreal did a good job of exploiting, coaching-wise.”

Tell us it was Holm's fault without telling us it was Holm's fault. And I'm sure he's not wrong but not a very leader-like thing to share in the media 

Great leadership there Biggie. 

55 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I think his replacement will be Clements or Kyrie who should be considerably cheaper.

I've decided it's time to move on from Hall. I feel he has proven his defences aren't built to close out close games when it matters. Grey Cup 2023. 2022. To a lesser extent 2021. Ottawa. Labour Day. Even the last game against BC where a missed Kramdi tackle somehow allowed us to get to OT.

When the chips are down and the other team needs a field goal, they often seem to get into range easily, and often further.

Maybe it's just me. Or maybe we just need more playmakers. But there is a pattern here.

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Looks more like Alexander to me.  Holm is playing corner there and jumps the outside breaking route.  Alexander is at no depth to cover curls but also doesn't track the vertical.  That's the drive when Alexander dropped down to half and Hallett came in at safety because Parker got bopped on the kickoff cover.  The drive where we really could have used a backup DB.

Thanks for clarifying! I only recalled the replay where they showed Holm taking the outside flat route and pointing the slot back to Bighill. But what you said makes good sense. Alexander hardly has the speed to play safety these days and definitely was a liability at halfback.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Yeah mos won't cut bighill but a GM can take that choice away from him.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Not a chance. Running backs aren’t big earners.

The funny thing is we’ve asked Bighill to do this a ton. And he used to be able to.

He’s the first one I want to see go. Can’t stand him anymore.

We have dropped Biggie into coverage in zone, but I can't ever recall a single instance we asked our MLB to cover man against a receiver. It's never done because it is a massive mismatch. I'm not sticking up for Biggie, he looks like he needs to join the coaching staff now. Just saying that if a DC is putting his MIKE....and I don't care who that MIKE is or how old...into a man coverage responsibility it is going to be very bad for that defence. Completely unrealistic to expect a MLB to cover a receiver in man.

35 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I don't see it as finger pointing so much as a guy desperately trying to justify playing in the game

Yeah, he’s getting slagged for that one play. Didn’t point a finger at anyone, but pointed out the ridiculous notion that he’d be the primary cover guy on a slot back.

He still shouldn’t have been playing though. If the game plan was that he couldn’t play every snap, then he’s a waste of a roster spot. 

8 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Yeah, he’s getting slagged for that one play. Didn’t point a finger at anyone, but pointed out the ridiculous notion that he’d be the primary cover guy on a slot back.

He still shouldn’t have been playing though. If the game plan was that he couldn’t play every snap, then he’s a waste of a roster spot. 

I love a healthy Biggie, but he has to be 100% these days. Not because he is a huge detriment if he isn't, but because at this point of his career the guy sitting behind him on the DC is a better player than him if he's not 100. Out of all the guys (Schoen, Bailey, Demski, Hardrick) that were playing injured he was the one that MOS screwed up on.

On the subject of retooling/rebuilding, obviously the GM plays a critical role. This brings me back to all the speculation recently swirling around Kyle W. 

Here’s some further admittedly speculation/scuttlebutt. A good friend, who is not a BS type, and who knows a club insider told me a month ago that the Blue have soured on KW because he is not engaged in his job. 

When I asked what that meant specifically, he said: “Like, literally, he’s never around and no one knows where he is.”

So, as I say, a rumour which was a downer for me and which I wasn’t sure what to make of, but now the lame duck status has me wondering if there isn’t something real there.

We’ll soon know I guess.