GDT - Ti-Cats @ Bombers. Week 1

2 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

The club announce the following lineup changes for tonight’s game:

Mike Miller » active to one-game injured

Brian Cole » active to one-game injured

Damian Jackson » practice roster to active

Jakub Szott » practice roster to active.

Don't love this!

Sucks about miller. Not surprised to see Jackson get a look. Think he’s gonna over achieve. 
 Looking at that I suspect szott will be the scratch. 

A big key to victory for us is going to be how many Carrie’s / rushing yards the cats get. If they keep it the old 5 Carrie’s at best a game and blm has to drop back 40+ times it’s hard to see them having any success. 
 On offense if we get early success with the run game collaros will have a clean productive night. The run is soo critical to taking pressure off collaros and giving him angles of escape. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Injury bug reqlly biting early.... 

yeah down side of an older roster. 

Sorry...but how the **** is Szott the next man up?  How about Murphy?

Szott will most likely stand on the sideline the entire game.  Murphy at least could play some teams I'd hope.

12 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Sucks about miller. Not surprised to see Jackson get a look. Think he’s gonna over achieve. 
 Looking at that I suspect szott will be the scratch. 

I'm pretty sure the scratch has to be an American otherwise they'll be short Canadians dressed.

10 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Sorry...but how the **** is Szott the next man up?  How about Murphy?

Szott will most likely stand on the sideline the entire game.  Murphy at least could play some teams I'd hope.

I'm pretty sure the scratch has to be an American otherwise they'll be short Canadians dressed.

I'd also almost rather not play with a FB on the roster...If Miller's gone, could we not add another DB or DL?

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I'd also almost rather not play with a FB on the roster...If Miller's gone, could we not add another DB or DL?

The only Canadians are the PR are Szott and Murphy so one of them has to go in.

Seems a bit suspect to need to sit your special teams ace and replace him with a 7th OL who likely won't cross the sideline other than at halftime for a quicker route to the locker room.

Maybe should have informed their cuts a bit if Miller was iffy to go.  Could have kept a Veltri, MacDougall or Charbonneau around.  Or picked up Lafrance potentially.

Basically going to need a lot from starters on special teams down Miller and Burtenshaw.

I'm almost wondering if Jackson gets on to chase kicks and one of the other Americans sits.

and for what a full back does in our offence...basically just blocks or takes up a TE position its pretty easy to get a guy up to speed who knows the offence to fill that role...aka BOLO...as we trumpet how all our guys know each role....hence the reason for the overall success...and use that DI spot on Caleb Thomas...

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

and for what a full back does in our offence...basically just blocks or takes up a TE position its pretty easy to get a guy up to speed who knows the offence to fill that role...aka BOLO...as we trumpet how all our guys know each role....hence the reason for the overall success...and use that DI spot on Caleb Thomas...

What a waste of a DI spot....

Don't even care about the fullback.  Care about special teams.  Schmekel and Szott will have no utility on the four main special teams.  That's two roster spots just being burned.  I can't imagine they are wanting to use Schmekel much on D tonight but they might have to.  I guess they can block for field goals.

This roster is really thin and if a couple guys go down in the game it could be a major problem.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Don't even care about the fullback.  Care about special teams.  Schmekel and Szott will have no utility on the four main special teams.  I guess they can block for field goals.

generally you wont use all big bodies like that on FG blocking....a couple....but not many in case of a miss

Jackson is versatile, but a run plugging DT would have been a wiser choice and prob served more of a use, unless they plan to put him in dline rotation....but then again...Thomas would have been the better choice if that is your plan...heck even a DB like Swarmay...

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

generally you wont use all big bodies like that on FG blocking....a couple....but not many in case of a miss

Jackson is versatile, but a run plugging DT would have been a wiser choice and prob served more of a use, unless they plan to put him in dline rotation....but then again...Thomas would have been the better choice if that is your plan...heck even a DB like Swarmay...

Jackson is likely sitting anyways.  He'll just get a game cheque.  They have to sit one American.  The only others I could see would be Grant or Agudosi.

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Jackson is likely sitting anyways.  He'll just get a game cheque.  They have to sit one American.  The only others I could see would be Grant or Agudosi.

Isnt it 45 guys on game day roster?..if u count up all the names...it equals 45 does it not? Jackson was brought in to fill that FB role so doubt he's scratched

Edited by Booch

29 minutes ago, Booch said:

They could just coach up Bennett and have him do the rb duties. His athleticism size and leverage would probably be good at it. 

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The only Canadians are the PR are Szott and Murphy so one of them has to go in.

Seems a bit suspect to need to sit your special teams ace and replace him with a 7th OL who likely won't cross the sideline other than at halftime for a quicker route to the locker room.

Maybe should have informed their cuts a bit if Miller was iffy to go.  Could have kept a Veltri, MacDougall or Charbonneau around.  Or picked up Lafrance potentially.

Basically going to need a lot from starters on special teams down Miller and Burtenshaw.

I'm almost wondering if Jackson gets on to chase kicks and one of the other Americans sits.

Could’ve called back a guy from tc perhaps. 

if szott/scmekel aren’t scratched those are the two worst players on active rosters in the league this week. 

Edited by wbbfan

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

but...but...but...Osh does no wrong...lol...love him as our coach...but this is a prime example right out o the gate on what a few of us were commenting on...

speak for myself only,   but the roster discussions you guys have, are beyond me.  I Do not get the rules, do not know enough about the individual  players, schemes, team weaknesses, strengths. and no doubt Oshea is not above criticism.

I have no problem with the roster management discussions, and critiques. 

Edited by Mark F

Failing to optimize the competitive advantage of the new roster rules demonstrates questionable coaching decisions on O'Shea's part. Without his recent (epic) success with the team it would really raise questions about his competitive drive and commitment to success. Just as a skilled craftsman utilizes every tool at their disposal to create a masterpiece, a true football manager should harness the full potential of the leagues rules to construct a winning team, leaving no stone unturned in the pursuit of success.

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It is what it is.  Training camp and offseason in general just built no depth on a team that is relying on a lot of tenured players.  At this point if we have a couple Canadians go down we'll be really scrambling just to fill the roster.

The rosters are pretty limited. Nobody is deep in Canadian players. We start OL, RB, DT and receivers and we have multiple backups at all those spots except RB. I don't see anyone carrying more than 2 or 3 Canadians on their practice rosters.