Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

"Mike O’Shea, a Hall of Famer who has been in the CFL as a player and coach for more than 30 years, said Evan Holm has the best feet of any defensive back he’s ever seen"

"Veteran defensive co-ordinator Richie Hall, who has been in the CFL even longer, said Holm didn’t have a good training camp, but an outstanding one"

"Dalton Schoen, one of the best receivers in the CFL, said Holm was the Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ best player in training camp"

"Mike O’Shea, a Hall of Famer who has been in the CFL as a player and coach for more than 30 years, said Tanner Schmekel has a real nice smile."

if or when...he makes an impact play...I will give him praise...will for any player.....but havn't seen any yet....and he is a waif....not good in traffic and isnt good run support....havnt been wowed by his tackling ability either....who cares if he has feet like Fred Astaire....lotsa guys look sooooo damn good in practice....any game he has been in....point out a wow play?...or a difference making one...I have seen zero

1 minute ago, Booch said:

if or when...he makes an impact play...I will give him praise...will for any player.....but havn't seen any yet....and he is a waif....not good in traffic and isnt good run support....havnt been wowed by his tackling ability either....who cares if he has feet like Fred Astaire....lotsa guys look sooooo damn good in practice....any game he has been in....point out a wow play?...or a difference making one...I have seen zero

We gonna see a depth chart today? Man, I'm curious.

20 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Man this board needs some real game action to talk about instead of all the other non-sense that has been taking up space this week. I can't imagine what our first bye week will be like if yesterday was an example of what we turn to on a closed practice day... 

truth

I'm not ready to anoint Holm as the next Nichols, but I'm not ready to write him off based on his play last year either. Kid was a rookie and got torched like a rookie. If he worked his arse off all offseason and came into camp way more prepared and it's showing now then great. However, I will leave room for the possibility that he's a practice all star. This could go either way still. At any rate, the praise his high for him and hopefully he can reach his full potential on game day.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, Booch said:

some here need to raise their expectations for roster

Laughs in Schmekel and clements. 

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

I'm not ready to anoint Holm as the next Nichols, but I'm not ready to write him off based on his play last year either. Kid was a rookie and got torched like a rookie. If he worked his arse off all offseason and came into camp way more prepared and it's showing now then great. However, I will leave room for the possibility that he's a practice all star. This could go either way still. At any rate, the praise his high for him and hopefully he can reach his full potential on game day.

In Houston’s first stint on the active roster he struggled too. Went back to the pr came back last year and was drastically better. Usually dbs translate fast to the cfl. But not always.  

FyHBElCaYAIcFQf?format=jpg&name=large

Like that Haba gets on to rotate...Rather see Cole get a shot at Will....sit Clements and go with Thomas.....that or go Canadian there....interesting no back-up DB really either..so if someone gets hurt...or routinely torched...whats the plan?...and who is the nationlized Canadian on each side of ball....

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

Like that Haba gets on to rotate...Rather see Cole get a shot at Will....sit Clements and go with Thomas.....that or go Canadian there....interesting no back-up DB really either..so if someone gets hurt...or routinely torched...whats the plan?...and who is the nationlized Canadian on each side of ball....

It looks like Grant will be able to come in for Woli if we so choose. Kramdi the back-up DB (or Darby and Kram becomes SAM).

No nationalized Canadian on D because we only start Jake? Might limit our options.

Like we thought, no roster shenanigans like some other teams are doing. Just the expected depth chart. 

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

It looks like Grant will be able to come in for Woli if we so choose. Kramdi the back-up DB (or Darby and Kram becomes SAM).

No nationalized Canadian on D because we only start Jake? Might limit our options.

Like we thought, no roster shenanigans like some other teams are doing. Just the expected depth chart. 

Off to a great start. Super glad we’re rostering 47 linebackers to chase down kicks so that we can have 40% of our lineup change positions if one DB gets nicked. 

I think you have to declare one tho on each side...and declaring one allows us to sit out Jake for 23 snaps in place of say...a Caleb Thomas if he ws dressed...Or allows us to have Haba and the Jeffs all together

None the less...Typical Oshea to not utilize the heck out of this

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Off to a great start. Super glad we’re rostering 47 linebackers to chase down kicks so that we can have 40% of our lineup change positions if one DB gets nicked. 

was just gonna say that....too many moving pieces to fill an in game injury when you dont have to do that...his use of his roster really does suck...as does who chooses to PR

19 minutes ago, Booch said:

Getting torched they leave him probably. Other wise Kramdi to Sam and Darby to that spot. 

no reason we couldnt have replaced Mauro for Karamoka....dude could play db...Likely Will as well in a pinch....prob offer just as much off edge as a rusher like Mauro does at times.....

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Getting torched they leave him probably. Other wise Kramdi to Sam and Darby to that spot. 

so whole sale changes to cover one spot....dumb

59 minutes ago, Booch said:

no reason we couldnt have replaced Mauro for Karamoka....dude could play db...Likely Will as well in a pinch....prob offer just as much off edge as a rusher like Mauro does at times.....

so whole sale changes to cover one spot....dumb

Yep. Karamoko is much more useful on D. With 4 DEs dressed we sure don’t need mauro on D. 
 Yeeep. It’s frustrating watching the coaching staff make life harder for the team with game day rosters. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Yep. Karamoko is much more useful on D. With 4 DEs dressed we sure don’t need mauro on D. 
 Yeeep. It’s frustrating watching the coaching staff make life harder for the team with game day rosters. 

and when Hansen comes back...Mauro sees the bench anyway...no knock against him, but Karamoka would serve more use in the meantime...and not hamstring yourself so much with DB depth