Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

4 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Wonder what Brady is going to cost them? He's now established himself as the best RB in the league although Harris was the highest paid at $165k last season but may have taken a discount to re-sign with the Argos this year as a backup.  Butler signed with the Ti-Cats for around $125k, so Import RB's are still not being paid much, I think it will take somewhere around $140-$150k to re-sign Brady on a long-term deal.

Andrew was getting around 165k with us and Toronto, I think.

Ideally, Brady doesn't drive us up to or past that,

5 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Wonder what Brady is going to cost them? He's now established himself as the best RB in the league although Harris was the highest paid at $165k last season but may have taken a discount to re-sign with the Argos this year as a backup.  Butler signed with the Ti-Cats for around $125k, so Import RB's are still not being paid much, I think it will take somewhere around $140-$150k to re-sign Brady on a long-term deal.

He's still making a lot for what's he's doing:

2) Andrew Harris, Toronto Argonauts (N)

Hard money: $145,000
Maximum value: $160,000

The future Hall of Fame ball-carrier is expecting to take on a reduced role this season but remains one of the highest-paid players at his position league-wide. He got a $30,000 signing bonus to rejoin the Argos for one final CFL season and will make another $15,000 in non-football-related services to the club.

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/18/the-cfls-15-highest-paid-running-back-and-fullbacks-for-the-2023-season/

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Brady's at what $115,000? I'd say he goes up $50-$60,000 to something like $165,000-$175,000.

I think it could be any where from 150 to 175. Idk guy lives his best life at his previous rate and he’s locked in with the community. Might even be incentive laden deal. Though if we go from Augustine to a drafted rookie that will make up the large majority of that room.

If they lock him up this year they could front load bonus money with room under the cap from all the 6 games and lawler. 

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

he ain't leaving

He’s the lowest flight risk on the team. 

someone brought up a good point earlier that we're going to have cap savings from 6-gamers this year, and that some guys might be able to have "next year money" within this year's cap. That kind of makes sense to me, in my admittedly limited knowledge of these proceedings....

24 minutes ago, Noeller said:

someone brought up a good point earlier that we're going to have cap savings from 6-gamers this year, and that some guys might be able to have "next year money" within this year's cap. That kind of makes sense to me, in my admittedly limited knowledge of these proceedings....

Guarantee that occurs...and we have a nice cache of it too which will go a long way

9 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Roster management. 😊

If unsay so..haha...some of that management should have been jettisoned this yr as we work to the 2025 home cup appearance 

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Harris wouldn't take a paycut to play behind Brady but was willing to play behind Ouelette in Toronto. SMH. 

Yeah...isn't that the ironic and yet funny part...and play there basically in obscurity and next to zero accolades from fans...was just an ego driven search for big money not necessarily warranted

13 hours ago, Booch said:

Guarantee that occurs...and we have a nice cache of it too which will go a long way

Yeah. I really don’t see us adding a lot of salary at the deadline. But the cash from jj lawler grant rose Darby Hansen and even miller is pretty significant. Some rough napkin math based on leaked contracts and estimates id put it at about 325k. And that’s a bit conservative and doesn’t take into count some of those guys clearing a second 6 game stint 

45 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah. I really don’t see us adding a lot of salary at the deadline. But the cash from jj lawler grant rose Darby Hansen and even miller is pretty significant. Some rough napkin math based on leaked contracts and estimates id put it at about 325k. And that’s a bit conservative and doesn’t take into count some of those guys clearing a second 6 game stint 

There is no chance that combination of 6 game savings totals 325k. Not even close. Jeffcoat wasn't on the 6 game. Darby maybe 35k in savings for one stint, Hansen about 60k for two rounds, Rose about 40k, Lawler about 60k (we paid a considerable amount of this year's salary up front so it is just the prorated remainder), Miller about 80k for two rounds. So for  the 6 game we have saved approximately 270k based on their reported salaries from 3DN. Keep in mind that I could not find any info on money up front on any of these players except Lawler, so the rest were prorated based on their full salary and that is unlikely. 

To get up over 300k some guys will need to finish their 2nd round of 6 game.

Edited by GCn20

26 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

There is no chance that combination of 6 game savings totals 325k. Not even close.

Darby rose Hansen grant and miller average 90 ish k. (Rose him self is 125k) Jj at 185 lawler at 250. That’s 150, 62k, 83k. Being very conservative that’s 295k 

keep in mind the min vet imp salary is 70k. So having those guys on the 6 game adds up fast. 
hansens deal was held up because they couldn’t pay him more so rules had to be adjusted. 80k is what I see floating around for him. Grant got 111k hard money with 115 if he dresses for 12 games. Which I think is gone now. Realistically the average between the first 5 is easily closer to 100k. 
 At 100k avg and those other numbers just 6 games from each is 311,666 bucks and change.

That is factoring in 0 dollars for gauthier, Lawrence, kyrie, or clements. So yeah, 325k very easily. 

Edited by wbbfan

54 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I actually figured it is closer to 600k actually...U had Lawler....Grant...Hansen...Lawrence...Rose...Miller, Gauthier...Wilson..Now Darby...Miller round 3...Hansen round 3....even guys like Clements and Haba...all adds up off the books and available for 2024

1 minute ago, Booch said:

I actually figured it is closer to 600k actually...U had Lawler....Grant...Hansen...Lawrence...Rose...Miller, Gauthier...Wilson..Now Darby...Miller round 3...Hansen round 3....even guys like Clements and Haba...all adds up off the books and available for 2024

I’m just adding up 1 round on the ir. If a few guys hit round two and some are very close it’ll shoot way up. 
 10% of our salary cap is pretty conservative for a dead line number with the amount of vets who’ve missed big chunks of time. 

2 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Sounds like there should be no excuse to be over the salary cap again this year, if that's actually the case. We were the worst offenders in the league last year, exceeding the cap by 65k

Honestly it makes total sense if you are a play off team to go over the cap to the max dollar for dollar penalty if the move will make you any degree better. Not worth giving up the pick though. 
 This year I don’t see any team having a fire sale, or any vet or group of vets coming from the nfl that would warrant that kind of money. 
 Strevy is probably going back to the Jets, Alford is locked in with Atlanta and we don’t have many other coals in the fire. 
 Maybe we put big money for the remainder of the season to a guy like Brandin Bryant, but I doubt he comes. And I doubt they give him that much. I think he’s likely to come back up in the off season or retire. 

21 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Darby rose Hansen grant and miller average 90 ish k. (Rose him self is 125k) Jj at 185 lawler at 250. That’s 150, 62k, 83k. Being very conservative that’s 295k 

keep in mind the min vet imp salary is 70k. So having those guys on the 6 game adds up fast. 
hansens deal was held up because they couldn’t pay him more so rules had to be adjusted. 80k is what I see floating around for him. Grant got 111k hard money with 115 if he dresses for 12 games. Which I think is gone now. Realistically the average between the first 5 is easily closer to 100k. 
 At 100k avg and those other numbers just 6 games from each is 311,666 bucks and change.

That is factoring in 0 dollars for gauthier, Lawrence, kyrie, or clements. So yeah, 325k very easily. 

Darby, Rose, Hansen, Grant, Miller avg 90k...sure. Darby is on his first stint, Rose had one stint...60k. Miller, Hansen 2x 60k=120k. Grant one stint just entering 2nd stint = 35k, JJ is Jackson Jeffcoat I assume? We have no 6 game saving from him. Lawler was not on the 6 game but his suspension saved us around 60k. We paid a significant amount of his salary as a signing bonus for this year. His actual remainder is somewhere around 160k after bonus. Prorate that over time missed and you get around 60k. Again....275k. If more guys finish their 2nd stint it will go up. 600k is not even remotely in the ball park unless we lose Zac for the remainder of the season. 325k is too high.

Our season total at current pace would be in the 400 - 450k ball park for the season. 

12 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Darby, Rose, Hansen, Grant, Miller avg 90k...sure. Darby is on his first stint, Rose had one stint...60k. Miller, Hansen 2x 60k=120k. Grant one stint just entering 2nd stint = 35k, JJ is Jackson Jeffcoat I assume? We have no 6 game saving from him. Lawler was not on the 6 game but his suspension saved us around 60k. We paid a significant amount of his salary as a signing bonus for this year. His actual remainder is somewhere around 160k after bonus. Prorate that over time missed and you get around 60k. Again....275k. If more guys finish their 2nd stint it will go up. 600k is not even remotely in the ball park unless we lose Zac for the remainder of the season. 325k is too high.

Our season total at current pace would be in the 400 - 450k ball park for the season. 

Miller and Hansen aren’t earning 60k. Lawler is on a 2 year deal, his bonus is split. We always have 6 games of ir savings from jj. 
 Again that also doesn’t include any of the other guys. 

Miller is 95k, no4 in FBs pay. 
rose is 125k 

grant is 111k 

hansen 80k

even if Darby is at 80, and I have no doubt he’s over 90k, that’s an average of 98,200 per guy. At 90k it’s a good 100k per. 

Now add in kyrie gauthier clements Lawrence and beeksma. That’ll very conservatively be another 100k. 

31 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

you have to remember...Gauthier...Lawrence....Clements...Haba....all did full stints, and save for Haba the other 3 were not on entry level deals...

when all said and done we will have likely 500 to 600k approx that was supposed to be for this yr go toward upfront money for 2024...we should be just fine with re-upping the guys who will need a nice bump

Plus....we likely had NFL returnee money allocated as well for a possible pick-up that will likely go un-used as I don't see us going that route this yr...unless something really intriguing comes our way....Walters always allocates an amount each yr for that...

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Miller and Hansen aren’t earning 60k. Lawler is on a 2 year deal, his bonus is split. We always have 6 games of ir savings from jj. 
 Again that also doesn’t include any of the other guys. 

Miller is 95k, no4 in FBs pay. 
rose is 125k 

grant is 111k 

hansen 80k

even if Darby is at 80, and I have no doubt he’s over 90k, that’s an average of 98,200 per guy. At 90k it’s a good 100k per. 

Now add in kyrie gauthier clements Lawrence and beeksma. That’ll very conservatively be another 100k. 

yeah...Like i say....we will have about 500 to 600k saved on 6 gamer money...thats a huge amount to re-sign key guys that won't go against the 2024 SMS...allowing us to then resign some key vets who won't be getting a big boost for 2024....and or a potential FA target.

And highly likely we will be shedding some of of our vet contracts in Thomas...Briggs....I bet Miller...Pretty sure one of Neuf/Gray....Lawrence....Darby...so with 2025 cup in our house you may see a lot of 2 yr deals coming up as well