Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

Seems like the Canadian Mafia caught wind of our comments and is finally adding more depth to special teams meat locker. Now, if they can just shake off that stubbornness and fully embrace the Nationalized American rule, they won't need to worry about getting fired and replaced by a committee of forum posters! So, perhaps we can lower the blade of our guillotine, so to speak. Ha!

7 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Possible we do that....but I think that MOS really likes his big jumbo pckg more than he likes Kramdi. 

They ran 1 snap with all 7 OL out.  They have been dressing 7 because they literally did not have another Canadian available to dress.

Kramdi if he's healthy wouldn't be the next Canadian off the roster.  Likely be Kelly sitting before him.

29 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Agree Kelly will be the one to sit if Kramdi is back this Friday. 
I can see Beeksma to be slated as FB if Miller and Burtenshaw will continue to be in the IR. 

Yeah seems like a good idea to sign a guy who hasn't played O since high school and put him out there in protections to mind the head and knees of our $600,000 QB.

46 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They ran 1 snap with all 7 OL out.  They have been dressing 7 because they literally did not have another Canadian available to dress.

Kramdi if he's healthy wouldn't be the next Canadian off the roster.  Likely be Kelly sitting before him.

Yea...forgot about Kelly. I think they are running 7 OL because they want to keep Tui and Dobson happy and not lose them as their future as OL stalwarts is approaching pretty quickly. Although, I do think that they would probably take game cheques on the IR as well I suppose.

Edited by GCn20

Has it been confirmed that Nik is now Papa Demski? I find it hard to believe he'd miss a home game on Friday unless his partner is still on the verge of giving birth Friday morning. The birth of a child is undeniably one of the most magical and mystical events of life, and I'm glad that these days football players aren't pressured to skip it for the sake of playing a game.

1 hour ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

Seems like the Canadian Mafia caught wind of our comments and is finally adding more depth to special teams meat locker. Now, if they can just shake off that stubbornness and fully embrace the Nationalized American rule, they won't need to worry about getting fired and replaced by a committee of forum posters! So, perhaps we can lower the blade of our guillotine, so to speak. Ha!

Don't think the Canadian mafia caught wind of anything. This was just the first opportunity that represented a player being available that isn't a ham and egger. Seems to me that the mafia were probably keeping an eye on the Montreal situation knowing someone good was about to shake loose.

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Don't think the Canadian mafia caught wind of anything. This was just the first opportunity that represented a player being available that isn't a ham and egger. Seems to me that the mafia were probably keeping an eye on the Montreal situation knowing someone good was about to shake loose.

The linebacker they released a week earlier would have been an even better signing....but we didnt bring him in

35 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Not sure which rider terms you are talking about... I don’t see "sister-wife", "brother-husband", or "at least still have these two left" when pointing to their teeth.

The continuous line of jokes about Saskatchewan people lacking teeth is disrespectful, inaccurate, and it's high time for it to come to an end. Over the past decades, accessibility to dentistry in Saskatchewan has made significant advancements, and a large number of residents now boast dental health including teeth adorning both their upper and lower jaws! 

3 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Don't be surprised to see Gray as the fullback.

Is anyone else a bit nervous about Jeff Gray?? In the BC game he was really bad, and in the Montreal game he got beat bad a couple of times as well. It reminded me of where we were with him a couple of years ago.

I would be open to the idea of giving Liam Dobson or Tui Eli an opportunity to showcase their skills as starting guards. Considering their potential and proven abilities, it could be beneficial to explore their capabilities in that position. Geoff Gray hasn't quite lived up to the lofty expectations of hometown hog, it might be worth considering fresh options.

4 hours ago, Booch said:

Exume will replace Kelly....only reason he is on roster is due to injuries....so this early season experience is huge in case someone goes down later in season...BA is backed by Hallet, who will be backed by Exume

Mauro for Beeksma makes no sense at moment as we need to run 2 globals on roster...Beeksma is depth and just that...depth in case we lose Gauthier,Briggs or Cadlwadder...If anything I'd like to see Mauro bumped for Karamoko...He can offer the same as Mauro on teams, and can rotate in on defence and cover at HB or SAM even.....he also was used a bit edge rushing in pre-season much like Mauro...dude is uber athletic.

Idk I like what Kelly has showed so far. Though we did deploy exume for maybe a game or two in spot duty at field corner in the past. 
 Isn’t it one with the second coming for an imp still? Karamoko would be a lot better to roster especially with exume back. But I guess that makes too much sense. 

I really wish the rosters were a bit larger. I think the league would be much better off with say 2 more ni spots 1 more da and maybe an optional extra global. 

20 minutes ago, ddanger said:

Is anyone else a bit nervous about Jeff Gray?? In the BC game he was really bad, and in the Montreal game he got beat bad a couple of times as well. It reminded me of where we were with him a couple of years ago.

He got beat once in Montreal in pass pro first series.  Otherwise he was pretty crucial in the run game busting off the double teams to get backers.

The OL as a whole is a lot better when the play calls focus more on working downhill at the D then sitting back in pass pro.

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Idk I like what Kelly has showed so far. Though we did deploy exume for maybe a game or two in spot duty at field corner in the past. 
 Isn’t it one with the second coming for an imp still? Karamoko would be a lot better to roster especially with exume back. But I guess that makes too much sense. 

I really wish the rosters were a bit larger. I think the league would be much better off with say 2 more ni spots 1 more da and maybe an optional extra global. 

Kelly played more DB for us last week in Montreal than Exume did in all of 2019.

I think they'll have a hard time pulling Kelly off based on how he's played so far.

I'm not sure Karamoko fits better than Maruo.  That WIL/MAC spot is where we're actually loaded, WIL more specifically for Karamoko.  Maruo plays some there but also plays as a rush backer in 30 fronts or even straight up as an end at times.  Also pretty solid chasing kicks.

8 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

I would be open to the idea of giving Liam Dobson or Tui Eli an opportunity to showcase their skills as starting guards. Considering their potential and proven abilities, it could be beneficial to explore their capabilities in that position. Geoff Gray hasn't quite lived up to the lofty expectations of hometown hog, it might be worth considering fresh options.

Imo the line would be better with eli at C for kola and Dobson at g for gray with gray going back to 6th ol. I think gray is just much better on the edge than at guard. Hardrick was the same way. It isn’t common but some guys just are much better at T than G. 

4 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Don't be surprised to see Gray as the fullback.

We did use him at hback in one set Vs mtl. It was kinda meh but small sample size. 

Id put Eli at C Dobson at G and gray at te then a guy like gauthier at fb. With how our WRs block good luck stopping that run game. 

fun side note for the first time in over a decade the nfl saw an increase in FB use last year. 

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He got beat once in Montreal in pass pro first series.  Otherwise he was pretty crucial in the run game busting off the double teams to get backers.

The OL as a whole is a lot better when the play calls focus more on working downhill at the D then sitting back in pass pro.

Kelly played more DB for us last week in Montreal than Exume did in all of 2019.

I think they'll have a hard time pulling Kelly off based on how he's played so far.

I'm not sure Karamoko fits better than Maruo.  That WIL/MAC spot is where we're actually loaded, WIL more specifically for Karamoko.  Maruo plays some there but also plays as a rush backer in 30 fronts or even straight up as an end at times.  Also pretty solid chasing kicks.

that’s always a key in any ol. Give them enough reps to beat up the dl and don’t have them trying to block for 4-5 seconds for a bomb 10+ times a game. When we get caught up too much in deep down field passing we stagnate the offense. 

I think exume was pushed into action late in two games but yeah Kelly had more un interrupted reps for sure. 

maruo seems to free lance too much. He isn’t lane disciplined. Pretty sure that’s why he got benched last year. 

It would be nuts to throw someone like Gauthier at fullback given that he's a pretty important role player on D.

The split zone look is what is in vogue right now.  I'm not sure why Augustine isn't used to run that.  Even when they had all 7 OL on that one play they ran an inside trap play, likely due to the alignment of the nose, center blocking right, guard looping around to second level with Gray running the split block on the backside end. 

It's just a guy heading downhill to seal backside, which Augustine should be able to handle.  Otherwise you might have some Arc blocks to backside, lead blocks on backers/DB's or pass protection.  Augustine has been here long enough to know the assignments, should be physically capable and at least he's a guy the D will have to count because he could catch a pass.

Augustine is like a 5'8 210 pound ball of muscle.  If he can't throw a backside block on a defensive end I'm not sure why he's here.

My only worry with Eli is his mobility in this type of run scheme, really any in the CFL.  I think that's why he hasn't got the job yet.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It would be nuts to throw someone like Gauthier at fullback given that he's a pretty important role player on D.

The split zone look is what is in vogue right now.  I'm not sure why Augustine isn't used to run that.  Even when they had all 7 OL on that one play they ran an inside trap play, likely due to the alignment of the nose, center blocking right, guard looping around to second level with Gray running the split block on the backside end. 

It's just a guy heading downhill to seal backside, which Augustine should be able to handle.  Otherwise you might have some Arc blocks to backside, lead blocks on backers/DB's or pass protection.  Augustine has been here long enough to know the assignments, should be physically capable and at least he's a guy the D will have to count because he could catch a pass.

My only worry with Eli is his mobility in this type of run scheme, really any in the CFL.  I think that's why he hasn't got the job yet.

Gauthier would likely be blocking down on a db in the box. It’s not like he’d be taking on a dt. 
If not Augustine, Demski is a great blocker and could run it too. 
Eli at 100% has excellent mobility. But he might not be at 100% yet. He makes kola look like bob Wylie. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Gauthier would likely be blocking down on a db in the box. It’s not like he’d be taking on a dt. 
If not Augustine, Demski is a great blocker and could run it too. 
Eli at 100% has excellent mobility. But he might not be at 100% yet. He makes kola look like bob Wylie. 

I wouldn't want to use Demski to throw those blocks very much.  We need him to be able to make plays.  It's basically like a special teams play, run 7-8 yards across formation and bash into the unblocked edge full speed.