CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I don't disagree that he should be in the conversation but anointing him as the front runner is a bit of a stretch.  There's a case to be made for all MOP contenders and it's not limited to Adams, Kelly & Collaros either.  Brady should be in that conversation as well.

I don’t think any of the QBs are mop candidates but they all will be. No one wants to give it to a defensive player. Probably not a rb either sadly. 
 If the lions beat the bombers in the play offs and go to the gc, betts will be the moc too. WRs deserve more chance at it this year. Schoen should be over collaros rn.  If brown was in ouellettes spot in tor he would be on the list as well. If the elk magically made the play offs ford would be too. 

6 hours ago, wbbfan said:

https://3downnation.com/2023/10/04/opinion-lions-vernon-adams-jr-should-be-m-o-p-frontrunner-entering-deciding-matchup/

it begins lol.
Vaj hasn’t complete 30 passes once this year he has 4 games with 1td or less. 5 game with as many picks as tds including the big ol 6 pick game. Of his 3 best performances 1 game was a loss and another was a near collapse. 4 games under 300 passing. And they didn’t miss a beat with out him winning both games by a combined 47-9. He’s been sacked 30 times this year. 

Zach also hasn’t completed 39 passes in a game. He has 3 games with 1 td or less. He has 4 games with as many picks as ints. Including the pick 6 games. Zach has 8 games under 300 this year. And we also failed ok with our Zach. Zach has been sacked 24 times  

kelly hasn’t completed more than 23 passes this year. He has 7 games with 1 td  or less. He has 6 games with as many picks as tds. He has 9 games under 300. Though he does have 8 rushing tds. Kelly has been sacked 9 times this year. 

if you swapped vaj and Kelly, both teams would have the same record. If you swapped collaros onto tor or bc, they would at worst be as good. Toronto I think would be much better. Vaj on the bombers would be comparable, Kelly I think would be screwed. 

None of these guys are markedly better, or deserving of a mop award. The real mop is Brady or defence  

I could really use a Tim Robinson "Are you sure about that?" meme right about now...

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I don’t think any of the QBs are mop candidates but they all will be. No one wants to give it to a defensive player. Probably not a rb either sadly. 
 If the lions beat the bombers in the play offs and go to the gc, betts will be the moc too. WRs deserve more chance at it this year. Schoen should be over collaros rn.  If brown was in ouellettes spot in tor he would be on the list as well. If the elk magically made the play offs ford would be too. 

Voting happens in the regular season. So if BC beats us in the playoffs it has no bearing on the Betts chance. It would be a joke if anyone other than Brady won MOC at this point, there is no debate - it should be unanimous (actually Betts vs Demski for runner-up is the only close contest, and Demski may overtake him given where they are now compared to how they started). The only award that factors in the playoffs is coach of the year (or at least it used to when it was awarded in February, they may have changed it). 

Friday Night Football! LFG!

Argos 150th birthday party on a rainy night at the lake. Coming home to celebrate are: Condredge Holloway, Damon Allen, Ricky Ray, Pinball, Rocket, Mookie and Terry Freakin Greer! And the Flyin' Hawaiian will sign a 1-day deal to retire an Argonaut!

Youse guys have fun on the West Coast tonight! Hopefully I'm home in time to catch the ending.

MG_8257-scaled.jpg

Wooooooo!

Edited by bluto

20 hours ago, wbbfan said:

https://3downnation.com/2023/10/04/opinion-lions-vernon-adams-jr-should-be-m-o-p-frontrunner-entering-deciding-matchup/

it begins lol.
Vaj hasn’t complete 30 passes once this year he has 4 games with 1td or less. 5 game with as many picks as tds including the big ol 6 pick game. Of his 3 best performances 1 game was a loss and another was a near collapse. 4 games under 300 passing. And they didn’t miss a beat with out him winning both games by a combined 47-9. He’s been sacked 30 times this year. 

Zach also hasn’t completed 39 passes in a game. He has 3 games with 1 td or less. He has 4 games with as many picks as ints. Including the pick 6 games. Zach has 8 games under 300 this year. And we also failed ok with our Zach. Zach has been sacked 24 times  

kelly hasn’t completed more than 23 passes this year. He has 7 games with 1 td  or less. He has 6 games with as many picks as tds. He has 9 games under 300. Though he does have 8 rushing tds. Kelly has been sacked 9 times this year. 

if you swapped vaj and Kelly, both teams would have the same record. If you swapped collaros onto tor or bc, they would at worst be as good. Toronto I think would be much better. Vaj on the bombers would be comparable, Kelly I think would be screwed. 

None of these guys are markedly better, or deserving of a mop award. The real mop is Brady or defence  

Media just living in the narrative that the MOP is a QB award. 

The only problem I have with your analysis, wbbfan, is that this is about who's the most outstanding, and your looking at each player's worst outings. You should be looking at their best outings. It's an outstanding award, not a consistency award. 

Zach leads the league in TDs (30); has 6 games over 300 yards; 4 games with more than 3 TDs.

Vernon leads the league in yardage; has 9 games over 300 yards; 2 games over 400; and 6 games with more than 3 TDs; he also adds 300 rushing yards.

Brady leads the league in rushing yards, yards from scrimmage, and is tied with Dalton for total TDs. He has led the league in rushing in 7 different weeks (No other player has done so more than twice).

Dalton leads the league in receiving yards, and is tied with Brady for total TDs

Keon Hatcher leads the league (by a lot) in yards per game. In a tight race with Dalton for the yardage title. 

Betts leads the league in sacks (15). Which is good but doesn't really throw him into the MOP race.

Houston still leads the league in INTs and FR, which could have been interesting had he continued to pick up the take aways. But he faded down the stretch and is now injured. 

2 hours ago, bluto said:

Friday Night Football! LFG!

Argos 150th birthday party on a rainy night at the lake. Coming home to celebrate are: Condredge Holloway, Damon Allen, Ricky Ray, Pinball, Rocket, Mookie and Terry Freakin Greer! And the Flyin' Hawaiian will sign a 1-day deal to retire an Argonaut!

Youse guys have fun on the West Coast tonight! Hopefully I'm home in time to catch the ending.

MG_8257-scaled.jpg

Wooooooo!

Happy Birthday!

Argos suck.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

Media just living in the narrative that the MOP is a QB award. 

The only problem I have with your analysis, wbbfan, is that this is about who's the most outstanding, and your looking at each player's worst outings. You should be looking at their best outings. It's an outstanding award, not a consistency award. 

Zach leads the league in TDs (30); has 6 games over 300 yards; 4 games with more than 3 TDs.

Vernon leads the league in yardage; has 9 games over 300 yards; 2 games over 400; and 6 games with more than 3 TDs; he also adds 300 rushing yards.

Brady leads the league in rushing yards, yards from scrimmage, and is tied with Dalton for total TDs. He has led the league in rushing in 7 different weeks (No other player has done so more than twice).

Dalton leads the league in receiving yards, and is tied with Brady for total TDs

Keon Hatcher leads the league (by a lot) in yards per game. In a tight race with Dalton for the yardage title. 

Betts leads the league in sacks (15). Which is good but doesn't really throw him into the MOP race.

Houston still leads the league in INTs and FR, which could have been interesting had he continued to pick up the take aways. But he faded down the stretch and is now injured. 

That is a reasonable point, each one has had big games. However every qb has had a huge game. And it's hard to compare collaros putting up 5 tds in a half to vaj putting up 4 over 4 quarters. If we want to look at the single most dominant game a player had, or how many dominant games I think that has it's own validity. But I dont think a guy should be MOP, based on 3 or 4 games in an 18 game schedule. 

Betts like jefferson had a couple monster games in the first 1/3 or so and hasn't done much in the last half of the season. They don't deserve it any more than the qbs imo. 

Argos ol, and secondary, DBs in general like Nichols, deserve strong consideration in a year like this. 

19 minutes ago, bluto said:

Can't bring me down today! Especially since I'm wearing my lucky Map Of Toronto Argo Shirt!

aVkYdqu.jpg

That is one of the most Toronto things I've seen. Right up there with the Leafs/raptors/jays losing, bad restaurants, hipsters with man buns, and traffic that makes people wish they lived in hamilton. 

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

That is one of the most Toronto things I've seen. Right up there with the Leafs/raptors/jays losing, bad restaurants, hipsters with man buns, and traffic that makes people wish they lived in hamilton. 

You could rightly say they're overpriced... but bad? Nah.

(everything else was fair though... except the part about wishing they lived in Hamilton... nobody wishes that, most of all the poor benighted souls who do live there)

17 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Do you have a home to go to?

Sure... but I'm at work on a Friday before a long weekend. I've given all of my employees their assignments and busy-work for the day... So my brain is in Friday Night Football mode (and dreading the commute down to BMO).

13 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Never happened. No one that's been to Hamilton wishes to stay. Smells like a**, which is the highlight of any trip to the Hammer. It's all down hill from there. 

10 minutes ago, bluto said:

You could rightly say they're overpriced... but bad? Nah.

(everything else was fair though... except the part about wishing they lived in Hamilton... nobody wishes that, most of all the poor benighted souls who do live there)

Sure... but I'm at work on a Friday before a long weekend. I've given all of my employees their assignments and busy-work for the day... So my brain is in Friday Night Football mode (and dreading the commute down to BMO).

Not what I was really asking but hey thanks for the update cuz after the word Friday all I read was Argos suck.