Pre-season Game 1 : Bombers vs. L(k)’s GDT

Geebrr

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I'm guessing no video highlights or anything of the game?

There could be some....as for the streamed game itself, they've stated it won't be replayed and you pretty much have to catch it live, and there'll be nothing after that

I wanna see us give Sterling a big amount of reps...and with a healthy Jeffcoat and Willie those 3 will I think be a good rotation and allow us to ease Bennet in gradually as didn't see much outta him in that first game..he def not ready for primetime yet...but with the Jeff's and Sterling...and Hansen when he gets back...we should look pretty good there.

Thomas impressed...and Walker looks like he changed his physique a bit...looks more powerful and was getting good push...if he progresses more...and Thomas is real deal we may have fixed up that middle of the line...and will allow our ends to flourish.

I expect Lawson and JAke to be the main Canadian dlineman...really looking forward to Lawson's progression this yr..I can see possibly more of Jake spelling him.off this yr than the other way around.

Whoever we end up starting game one with the DBS we will be fine..even if a guy or two start off injured...we are deep and solid and there some new blood pushing the vets and second yr guys...if everyone is healthy game 1 likely we start a Rose..Nichols..BA..Parker..Lawrence staring 5 with Houston..Holm and Swaray vying for the 6th...and the extra possible DB rostered...but I think/hope we use that rangy Global who looks legit or another Canadian to utilize a DI spot for one of Augudosi/Sheed ...I know we and especially ZC are gonna want both those guys rostered...and will make it work

If..and I assume Ford will be back mid summer...that will really help with roster configuration as he can bump a DI'd DB off gameday and allow us another on the Dline..or linebacker...heck even Mcrae or one the other import backs if one blows the doors off the riders Friday.

Have zero...none...nadda concerns with the online...the starting 5 all looked good ...and I think sooner or later Eli will supplant Kolo as a starter...so having Kolo/Eli/Dobson as Canadian backups in whatever form shakes out...and Richmond at Tackle...we are so deep and solid...if Hardrick or big Stan get any minor nicks...We could rest em and not miss a beat with Richmond

Our backups Richmond.. Dobson...Eli..Machino are prob a better core or on par with several teams starters..what a embarrassing amount of depth

And love..love this QB trio...prob best we have had in eons...I actually think Piggy could and will be more electric than Strevie...heafty praise and statement...but if he can do more of that in game 2...when teams know what he possesses...he may just be huge for us

12 minutes ago, Booch said:

And love..love this QB trio...prob best we have had in eons...I actually think Piggy could and will be more electric than Strevie...heafty praise and statement...but if he can do more of that in game 2...when teams know what he possesses...he may just be huge for us

Totally agree on the qb's  ...............hope to see the back-ups get a lot of work...especially Pigrome.....He shocked the hell out of the Elks....and he'll be a demon to shut down if and when he takes off...Sure has a bit of an arm as well and he'll be a bugger to game plan against....Friday will be very interesting

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

If Grant is the KR and one DI and if Sergio takes a second DI spot, do we not di a lb, a de or a db? My leaning is you don't di a lb but I may be wrong. 

Has anyone clarified if the new roster rules where we can have 3 “Americanized Canadians” take 49% of the reps for a Canadian allow those players to be considered Canadians in the makeup of the roster? That would change a ton.

You could essentially make Rasheed Bailey, Kyrie Wilson and I dunno … let’s say Adam Bighill all count as Canadians in terms of the roster makeup. I would imagine it isn’t this way, but nobody has really clarified.

(EDIT: my bad it’s 2 this year not 3)

Nevermind. They have to be designated imports. That still changes a lot though, because you can definitely play with the ratio in a sense where you can get creative in ways you never would before.

As an example, this could be our starting set of Canadians

Oliviera, Demski, Wolitarsky, Bryant (I’m assuming he’s the easiest choice as our “Americanized Canadian”), Neufeld, Kolankowski, Gray, Gauthier

There’s the 8, you could technically designate Kyrie (as an example) to play 49% of the snaps in Gauthier’s spot and run two American defensive tackles all game.

You could also do it with Kramdi/Darby (I think this may be the direction they go in) or I guess theoretically you could even do it with Bennett/Jeffcoat but I wouldn’t assume that would be a smart idea. If we get Ford back, you could also do it in a scenario with Ford/Rose.

Not entirely sure what the overall benefit is other than limiting Jake Thomas to minimal snaps. But it’s going to be interesting to see how we deploy it.

34 minutes ago, Mike said:

Has anyone clarified if the new roster rules where we can have 3 “Americanized Canadians” take 49% of the reps for a Canadian allow those players to be considered Canadians in the makeup of the roster? That would change a ton.

You could essentially make Rasheed Bailey, Kyrie Wilson and I dunno … let’s say Adam Bighill all count as Canadians in terms of the roster makeup. I would imagine it isn’t this way, but nobody has really clarified.

(EDIT: my bad it’s 2 this year not 3)

The only problem is they have to fit onto the roster.  So you basically have to slot them as DI's to take advantage of that spot in my understanding.

Grant is a DI, Castillo or Staton, one DL, one DB.

Now you could get smart about it and use Rose or Alexander as the DI DB instead of Parker or Holm to take advantage.  Could slot Jefferson or Jeffcoat as a DI and "start" the other American DL.  Darby might qualify too going into his 6th CFL season.

Another aspect that hasn't been defined well is what are the service requirements to qualify a player to be nationalized.  If a guy kicks around CFL practice rosters and hardly plays does that time count?

29 minutes ago, Mike said:

Nevermind. They have to be designated imports. That still changes a lot though, because you can definitely play with the ratio in a sense where you can get creative in ways you never would before.

Oliviera, Demski, Wolitarsky, Bryant (I’m assuming he’s the easiest choice as our “Americanized Canadian”), Neufeld, Kolankowski, Gray, Gauthier

There’s the 8, you could technically designate Kyrie (as an example) to play 49% of the snaps in Gauthier’s spot and run two American defensive tackles all game.

You could also do it with Kramdi/Darby (I think this may be the direction they go in) or I guess theoretically you could even do it with Bennett/Jeffcoat but I wouldn’t assume that would be a smart idea. If we get Ford back, you could also do it in a scenario with Ford/Rose.

Not entirely sure what the overall benefit is other than limiting Jake Thomas to minimal snaps. But it’s going to be interesting to see how we deploy it.

Say you dress 6 DBs.  Could you not designate Alexander as a DI and then sub him in as much as you want for Holm or Parker and give him the nationalized status to allow for more flexibility if needed due to injury?

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The only problem is they have to fit onto the roster.  So you basically have to slot them as DI's to take advantage of that spot in my understanding.

Grant is a DI, Castillo or Staton, one DL, one DB.

Now you could get smart about it and use Rose or Alexander as the DI DB instead of Parker or Holm to take advantage.  Could slot Jefferson or Jeffcoat as a DI and "start" the other American DL.  Darby might qualify too going into his 6th CFL season.

Another aspect that hasn't been defined well is what are the service requirements to qualify a player to be nationalized.  If a guy kicks around CFL practice rosters and hardly plays does that time count?

I believe its three years with one club or overall You could for example, use Walker as a nationalized Canadian (third year) and have him play 49% of the snaps and start Kaleb Thomas with Jake and Lawson rotating in, I think. Believe starting say Sterling and Jefferson with Jeffcoat taking 49% of Sterling's snaps along with some for Willie might get you the rotation you need. Totally speculating though.

4 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I believe its three years with one club or overall You could for example, use Walker as a nationalized Canadian (third year) and have him play 49% of the snaps and start Kaleb Thomas with Jake and Lawson rotating in, I think. Believe starting say Sterling and Jefferson with Jeffcoat taking 49% of Sterling's snaps along with some for Willie might get you the rotation you need. Totally speculating though.

Yeah the only issue will be fitting all the Americans on the roster.  It's not like adding two Americans to the roster, just that you can use them more to sub for Canadians.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

The problem is you would need to limit a vet. player, most likely a former starter like Jeffcoat or Bighill to 49% of the reps. and they would have to sub in for a specific Natl. taking 51% of the reps.  Unless the vet. is well past his prime like Charleston Hughes, he's not likely to accept a reduced role at a reduced salary.  Maybe they could interest Shawn Lemon in such a role if nobody picks him up in a month or two.

11 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

The problem is you would need to limit a vet. player, most likely a former starter like Jeffcoat or Bighill to 49% of the reps. and they would have to sub in for a specific Natl. taking 51% of the reps.  Unless the vet. is well past his prime like Charleston Hughes, he's not likely to accept a reduced role at a reduced salary.  Maybe they could interest Shawn Lemon in such a role if nobody picks him up in a month or two.

Not necessarily.  DI's can sub unlimited for other imports. 

8 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

The lemonater could have a role here ....interesting ....With all of this mix and match, I'd like to know who's going to track all of these moves and make sure everyhing is on the up and up.....51% reps. 49% as the game rolls on, could get confusing and someone 'could' take advantage  ..... and it could end up a cluster /frig 

9 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

You don’t want or limit biggie for sure. But 49% is probably all you really want wj in for any way. Signing lemon or some one and then using wj as a ndi would be great. 
 With our depth at wr I wouldn’t mind a ndi on Bailey as well. That’d give a ton of versatility to get an imp rb and another imp wr at times on the field. 

agree 100% with booch too. I think jake takes a step back and maybe plays more of his snaps late game while Lawson plays more. Snake probably still rosters as the starter but in essence I think it’s going to be more Lawsons spot this year. He was really sneaky good last year. Very excited for him this year. 

pigrome is definitely more dynamic a runner than strevy. Much quicker and more explosive. 

would love to get ford back if it doesn’t work out for him down south. That kids got starter material written all over him. I think he and Kramdi could’ve easily platooned a spot this year. Man db is crazy deep though. I have an idea who I would go with but I have no idea what to expect the mafia to pick. 

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Not necessarily.  DI's can sub unlimited for other imports. 

I do not envy the guys who are tracking the ratio and subs. 

its 3 years with a team or 5 in the league right? Kind of surprising that lemon is still in picked. 

13 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I find it very odd that the highlights are not on CFL.ca, nor the bombers posted them... But the Elks youtube channel did?

I guess maybe for them a 2 point preseason loss is a highlight lol

Very odd and disappointing 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Very odd and disappointing 

But not that surprising, the Bombers YouTube channel has zero content.

https://www.youtube.com/@wpg_bluebombers/featured

The Elks are beating the Bombers with media content.

https://www.youtube.com/@GoElks/featured

A quick check confirms the Bombers are the only CFL team without a decent YouTube channel, someone needs to get off their ass and start producing content.

https://www.youtube.com/@ticatstvchannel

https://www.youtube.com/@OfficialBCLions/videos

https://www.youtube.com/@calstampeders/videos

https://www.youtube.com/@thesskroughriders/videos

https://www.youtube.com/@CFLREDBLACKS/featured

https://www.youtube.com/@TorontoArgonauts

https://www.youtube.com/@AlouettesdeMontreal

Edited by Fatty Liver