CFL - Pre-Season - All Your Non-Bomber News/Talk - 2023

JCon

Better get this one going...

2023 RATIFIED RULE CHANGES

The requirement for the ball to be touched prior to ruling a rouge on a kickoff has been removed.

• This change aligns the rouge rule on kickoffs with all other types of kick plays.

A safety has been added to the options for holding in the team’s own goal area.

• When a team commits a holding foul in their own goal area while in possession of the ball in their goal area, a safety has been added to the options available to the other team.

The defensive formation has been restricted on kick plays.

• The number of players within two yards of the line of scrimmage on either side of the long snapper has been restricted to a maximum of six players at the snap.
  • This restriction does not apply if the offence lines up in an unbalanced line or if an offensive player moves or motions from their initial position.
  • This restriction only applies to field goal and kicked convert attempts.
  • This change is in the spirit of player safety to avoid grossly overloading the defensive line on one side of the long snapper.

Avoidable contact with an official

• It shall be illegal for a player, or an authorized member of a team bench area, to make avoidable contact with an official.
  • This includes providing a safe workspace by keeping the sidelines clear during play. Officials cannot properly officiate a game if their attention is being diverted to the sidelines in hopes of avoiding collision or injury.
  • When an official is contacted by a player, or an authorized member of a team bench area, officials will be permitted to check with the command centre to assist with a judgment as to whether contact was “avoidable” and if so, a 10-yard objectionable conduct penalty will be applied.
  • This change will allow the officiating staff to call these actions confidently with command centre help. It will also bring much needed attention to the requirement of providing a safe workspace for officials.
  • This change complements and builds upon existing rules regarding contacting officials that may result in ejections.

Move the drive start position up five yards in additional scenarios:

1. Section 5A – If a kicked ball strikes the goal post assembly in flight and when Team B intercepts a ball or recovers a fumble in their own goal area, the next point of scrimmage will be the 30-yard line.
  2. Section 5B – Penalty applications with fouls in the goal area will be applied from the 30- or 15-yard line dependent upon the foul.
  3. Section 6C – When a penalty or ruling awards possession of the ball to the opponent, the point of possession will move up 5 yards.
  4. These changes align the drive start adjustment made in 2022 with other scenarios.

Teams cannot have players wear 0 and 00

Players shall be identified by the following numbering:

• Eligible receivers will wear numbers 0 or 00-49 and 70-99.
  • Ineligible receivers will wear numbers 50-69.

Having two players on the same team wearing 0 and 00 creates significant issues with the statistical and scouting systems the teams deploy. This change allows only one player from each team to wear the number 0 or 00.

Pretty good changes. I’d like to see tweaks to challenges, including a clear process guide so it isn’t such a damn crap shoot as to what they call and if they get it right or not. I’d also like to see tweaks to rtp. Make the tiers more clear like roughing the kicker and less punitive for incidental contact. An arm hitting the shoulder pads or hand hitting the top of the helmet isn’t the same as a shoulder pad hitting the head.  
 It’d be hard but a rule to limit a qbs follow through from hitting a helmet would be a big injury preventing change.  Maybe just have to make an effort to get your head off line. But yeah tough. I cringe hard every time I see that happen and it seems to have several times a year. 

9 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Grin GIFs | Tenor

Shows how good number 8 is, the way he moves up the pocket with his legs to create time, his head still looking at the receiver down the field and to hit a 50 yard dime without firmly planting his feet, it’s just incredible, I don’t think any other QB in the league makes that throw. 

Edited by Arnold_Palmer

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Gainey looking at him like WTF? is icing on the cake. 😂 

gainey.jpg

Not only did Carter get beaten like a rented mule, but as soon as the ball was caught, he lost all interest in the play and sort of trotted after Schoen.

2 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Shows how good number 8 is, the way he moves up the pocket with his legs to create time, his head still looking at the receiver down the field and to hit a 50 yard dime without firmly planting his feet, it’s just incredible, I don’t think any other QB in the league makes that throw. 

And the fact the poor snap from the centre didn't slow Collaros down and that he knew exactly where the line of scrimmage was.

I'm equally impressed with the team going for it with 52 seconds before half.  Many other Bomber teams have just taken a knee in those situations.

19 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

And the fact the poor snap from the centre didn't slow Collaros down and that he knew exactly where the line of scrimmage was.

I'm equally impressed with the team going for it with 52 seconds before half.  Many other Bomber teams have just taken a knee in those situations.

Jim Daley's Bombers were likely to take a knee midway through the 1st quarter.....

I just laugh about that LOLk's receiving corps.......it's all well and good, but when you have nobody capable of getting them the ball, what good is it? Until Corny proves he isn't five kinds of useless (DT has all kinds of stats on how wildly Corny overthrew/underthrew receivers last year) that receiving corps doesn't mean much.