Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The Caleb Williams sweepstakes between the Cardinals, Panthers & Pats is now on. If Williams is selected by New England, how much playing time will Rourke even see? Also, rumours circulating that Bill Belichek will be fired after the season so a new coaching staff will be a huge unknown for Rourke. They may not want him.

Bears have the Panthers pick, BTW. 

28 minutes ago, JCon said:

I don't know, there's a lot of experts saying he's wasting his life and he should be playing in the CFL. 

For me, if I was in his shoes, I’d prize playing over any thing right now. Yes he’s young and he could kick around for untold years cashing millions in pr and the odd ar cheque. 
 But, he has next to no chance at actually playing. Guys like flutie and Garcia went down with years of dominance. Not a partial year that ended in disappointment. 
 I would legit play 2-3 years in the cfl if I was him then go south, but with a big guarantee and bonus. He’s in a rare situation where his window is soo big he can aim for more than clipboard and coffee boy. 
 Look at strevy and mbt. Crazy amounts of pr time camp invites work outs etc. plenty of money made from the nfl. Never a shot at meaningful time as qb1.  
 Rourke could spend the whole rest of his career down south. And not get a sniff of being no1. It’s very easy to fall into that good enough to be here not good enough to start position as a qb. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

For me, if I was in his shoes, I’d prize playing over any thing right now. Yes he’s young and he could kick around for untold years cashing millions in pr and the odd ar cheque. 
 But, he has next to no chance at actually playing. Guys like flutie and Garcia went down with years of dominance. Not a partial year that ended in disappointment. 
 I would legit play 2-3 years in the cfl if I was him then go south, but with a big guarantee and bonus. He’s in a rare situation where his window is soo big he can aim for more than clipboard and coffee boy. 
 Look at strevy and mbt. Crazy amounts of pr time camp invites work outs etc. plenty of money made from the nfl. Never a shot at meaningful time as qb1.  
 Rourke could spend the whole rest of his career down south. And not get a sniff of being no1. It’s very easy to fall into that good enough to be here not good enough to start position as a qb. 

You can't make an NFL roster playing in the CFL.

It's his dream. Unless you were a first-round pick, you have to just put your time in and get lucky with the situation. 

Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant behind a first-rounder and a regular starter. Found a way. 

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

It's his dream. Unless you were a first-round pick, you have to just put your time in and get lucky with the situation. 

Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant behind a first-rounder and a regular starter. Found a way. 

i watched the 49ers game yesterday. Charles Davis, the CBS analyst doing the game has been on tv a long time. He began to talk about Brock Purdy & his Mr Irrelevant tag. He said that he is also a scout & personnel analyst for the NFL Network & continues to be. He said he takes great pride in doing that. He said he & just about every scout blew it about Purdy. They all underrated him as 2022's draft class went on & made a mistake. Davis said that happens every once in awhile. 

1 hour ago, CodyT said:

I personally think he's now the best qb on that roster. 

Talk about damning someone with faint praise but yeah after watching the Chiefs/Patriots yesterday, that Zappe kid was pure hot garbage.  I was actually thinking "why wouldn't these guys sign Rourke is this is the best they can find", and sure enough here we are.  Saying that a lot when I watch the QB carousel going on right now in the NFL.  Even Joe Flacco has somehow made it back into the league, never thought I'd see that.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

You can make an active roster, not gonna start though. 
 That can happen but you’re talking at best once a generation. A lot of former higher picks become career back ups but many don’t get much of  sniff again  they provide an illusion of qb depth. 

16 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Didn't the Panthers just draft a franchise qb. They will likely draft Marvin Harrison Jr and the Pats barring a win in their last two games would have the #2 pick.

Isn’t Harrison staying in for a ridiculous nil deal or was that a rumour? 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

You can make an active roster, not gonna start though. 
 That can happen but you’re talking at best once a generation. A lot of former higher picks become career back ups but many don’t get much of  sniff again  they provide an illusion of qb depth. 

Isn’t Harrison staying in for a ridiculous nil deal or was that a rumour? 

Wish i knew more.  I just looked at the draft rankings.  If Harrison isn't in the draft then i think Panthers would trade their pick.

39 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Wish i knew more.  I just looked at the draft rankings.  If Harrison isn't in the draft then i think Panthers would trade their pick.

Why? That team is total garbage. How is a wide receiver going to help them? Bad teams like that shouldn't trade away picks for players as it's a band aid approach. Their fanbase will explode. Now, if the qb they want is unavailable they could trade down to take the best OL available which is OT Olu Fashano from Penn State at OT. Or they could just pick him first overall  Looking at their record they'll probaly have the first pick so they know who's available & what they want. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

That is one thing that always stands out,how hard it is to predict how good a young Qb will be. So many variables so many intangibles. You look at the NFL and how much they spend on scouting and measuring metrics and it is still basically a crapshoot who will be a Star Qb in the NFL.

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

The QB NE drafted three years ago, Mac Jones is awful and has been benched more than once. If they land the #2, they're going QB, either USC's Caleb Williams or UNC Drake Maye. Harrison goes 3 to AZ.

I just get the impression that Mac Jones thinks he knows more than his coaches. With a miserable SOB for a HC. constant losing & a qb with a chip on his shoulder it must be so much fun to go to work.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Jones totally thinks he's better than he is. Guy had Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle at WR (both have had 1000 yard receiving seasons in the NFL), Najee Harris at RB (1000 yard rusher in the NFL), Plus John Metchie at WR and Brian Robinson JR at rb, both of whom are in the NFL. Oh and NFL OL Alex Leatherwood, Evan Neal and Landon Dickerson. 

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Not to nitpick, but…….

3 games, not 2. Guaranteed money. And $125,000 US more into his account ($167,000 Cdn). Hardly chump change.

So what did he make this year, 600 k usd and a chance to cement himself as a better contract?

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The Caleb Williams sweepstakes between the Cardinals, Panthers & Pats is now on. If Williams is selected by New England, how much playing time will Rourke even see? Also, rumours circulating that Bill Belichek will be fired after the season so a new coaching staff will be a huge unknown for Rourke. They may not want him.

Rourke's future won't be with the Pats if they land Caleb Williams. Chances are even if they don't land Williams that they still draft QB in the first round. 

9 hours ago, CodyT said:

So what did he make this year, 600 k usd and a chance to cement himself as a better contract?

If Justin Dunk and 3Down’s reports are accurate, he will make $435,000 US ($580,000 Cdn) this year (max value was $750,000 US if he had been on the active roster all season), and in year 2 of his 3 year rookie NFL contract, he’s scheduled to make up to $915,000 US, then $1,030,000 US in year 3. 

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why? That team is total garbage. How is a wide receiver going to help them? Bad teams like that shouldn't trade away picks for players as it's a band aid approach. Their fanbase will explode. Now, if the qb they want is unavailable they could trade down to take the best OL available which is OT Olu Fashano from Penn State at OT. Or they could just pick him first overall  Looking at their record they'll probaly have the first pick so they know who's available & what they want. 

Tbh I don’t hate going wr at the top of the draft. Far less busts in top 5 WRs than QBs imo. Though I think the best value picks in the top 5 of the nfl draft tend to be defensive players. Teams always look for that one guy who will change their franchise with that pick, but it almost never works out. 
 What bad teams really need most to turn it around is a bunch of picks in the first 3 rounds and to hit a lot of value with those picks. 
Harrison isn’t going to change a franchise, but I do think he will be a star. If you are in that top range though you need a lot. And QBs/wrs need you to have a lot to really shine. Trade down and draft ol/D all day. Just like up here with the bombers, line play wins games. 

Rourke would have to A: Start at least the last 2 games this year, and B: play well enough to save Belichicks job. With the Pats being as ass as they are, I don’t see either happening. 

Rourke will be the latest example of how NFL politics can screw over extremely talented players. Unfortunately for him, I think his only chance to be a star is in Canada. 

27 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Tbh I don’t hate going wr at the top of the draft. Far less busts in top 5 WRs than QBs imo. Though I think the best value picks in the top 5 of the nfl draft tend to be defensive players. Teams always look for that one guy who will change their franchise with that pick, but it almost never works out. 
 What bad teams really need most to turn it around is a bunch of picks in the first 3 rounds and to hit a lot of value with those picks. 
Harrison isn’t going to change a franchise, but I do think he will be a star. If you are in that top range though you need a lot. And QBs/wrs need you to have a lot to really shine. Trade down and draft ol/D all day. Just like up here with the bombers, line play wins games. 

Yeah didn't the Lions have a draft like that a few years ago. And they've looked as good as they have since Sanders.

45 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Rourke would have to A: Start at least the last 2 games this year, and B: play well enough to save Belichicks job. With the Pats being as ass as they are, I don’t see either happening. 

Rourke will be the latest example of how NFL politics can screw over extremely talented players. Unfortunately for him, I think his only chance to be a star is in Canada. 

Agree. And idk if id hate the annoyance more or love that a Canadian kid had that Kind of success if that actually happen with old belichick.  Farhan would be lobbying for over turning the mop awards and getting him a spot in the hall if that happened lol. 

who is worse, ball, Pederson, farhan or suitor? While I hate suitor when working rider or bomber games, I do respect his genuine passion. Pederson is probably the most decent thing Regina media has going on. Ball is a dumb ass with a small platform. Farhan is a dumb ass with a big platform. I think I like farhan the least.