Jump to content

Suckskatchewan @ Champs PGT


JCon
 Share

Recommended Posts

Not much exists online of the memory of Jack Skelly. I can't be the only one who remembers that guy, who entertained us for so many years on the East side.  "Gimme a B!!!" was his call to start us off, and then we'd sound out the entire "Bombers" as thousands of "East Side low income scum" as the West Siders thought of us would respond in unison.  It was magic.

Here's the only thing I can find online:

Jack had many interests, mostly his obsession for football, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (east side) and the struggling Vikings. Jacks zest for life was contagious. His ability to make people laugh was uncanny even if it was at his own expense, making him the focal point of most gatherings. Words cannot express the love and joy he brought to everyone around him. He was a wonderful role model and he will be sadly missed by all. Visitation will be held Sunday, November 10 from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Burton Cummings Theatre, 364 Smith with service at 8:00 p.m. Private family interment will be held at a later date. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in memory of Jack to the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Manitoba or the Canadian Diabetes Association, Manitoba Division. The family would like to extend a special thanks to all the family, friends and neighbours for all their loving care and support given to Jack and his family. Arrangements entrusted to: GLEN LAWN FUNERAL HOME 455 LAGIMODIERE BLVD. 982-7550

https://passages.winnipegfreepress.com/passage-details/id-73258/SKELLY_JACK

Edited by kelownabomberfan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

That’s because the dumb east siders always start the wave when the Bomber offence is on the field. And the drunken north end Rum Hut guys are too busy trying to hook up with the ladies to watch the game. 

I had no clue that that such witty comments existed and would be so painful.  Exemplary instance of cunning linguistics.  Now I need my mommy.  

Edited by Rod Black
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Which is easier for you? 
 

 

just joshing round. I’m not angry. 

Me too. Jokes are good. No offence taken.

And the latter just takes a lot of practice, but the former is a skill some have and some don’t, no matter the frequency. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I was born and raised as an east sider at the old stadium. Did a couple of years on the east at the new barn, but switched sides when I landed front row upper deck seats on the 50 yard line. Also, no sun in my eyes now. Probably pretty typical of fans as they age to move to the quiet side I suspect. But I wish I could get the “Gimme a B! Gimme and O!” chant going up then now like Jack did back then. I have the lungs for it, but doubt I could get the whole side to jump in like he could. Was amazing to hear. 

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I was born and raised as an east sider at the old stadium. Did a couple of years on the east at the new barn, but switched sides when I landed front row upper deck seats on the 50 yard line. Also, no sun in my eyes now. Probably pretty typical of fans as they age to move to the quiet side I suspect. But I wish I could get the “Gimme a B! Gimme and O!” chant going up then now like Jack did back then. I have the lungs for it, but doubt I could get the whole side to jump in like he could. Was amazing to hear. 

Was your mothers name Chloe and did she have web feet? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Not much exists online of the memory of Jack Skelly. I can't be the only one who remembers that guy, who entertained us for so many years on the East side.  "Gimme a B!!!" was his call to start us off, and then we'd sound out the entire "Bombers" as thousands of "East Side low income scum" as the West Siders thought of us would respond in unison.  It was magic.

Here's the only thing I can find online:

Jack had many interests, mostly his obsession for football, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (east side) and the struggling Vikings. Jacks zest for life was contagious. His ability to make people laugh was uncanny even if it was at his own expense, making him the focal point of most gatherings. Words cannot express the love and joy he brought to everyone around him. He was a wonderful role model and he will be sadly missed by all. Visitation will be held Sunday, November 10 from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Burton Cummings Theatre, 364 Smith with service at 8:00 p.m. Private family interment will be held at a later date. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in memory of Jack to the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Manitoba or the Canadian Diabetes Association, Manitoba Division. The family would like to extend a special thanks to all the family, friends and neighbours for all their loving care and support given to Jack and his family. Arrangements entrusted to: GLEN LAWN FUNERAL HOME 455 LAGIMODIERE BLVD. 982-7550

https://passages.winnipegfreepress.com/passage-details/id-73258/SKELLY_JACK

The good ol’ days. Before each game, we made meat helmets. 

Edited by Rod Black
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

My childhood was typical: summers in Steinbach... luge lessons...  When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds — pretty standard, really.

Our group, for Bomber playoff games would ritualistically shave our scrotums. 

Edited by Rod Black
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let’s try to pass the time with some random topics and see if any discussion can come up. 

1. What is the most memorable dominant individual playoff performance people can think of? Some candidates are Bob Cameron’s 1988 Grey Cup, Greg Battle’s 2 INT Grey Cup in 1990, James Murphy vs the Lions in the 1984 West Final, Michael Richardson’s 200+ yard game in the 1992 East Final. Any others, and what made them so great?

2. What is the best fan sign you have ever seen in the stands? “Riders suck” was brilliant in that it appeared at a Bomber-Argo game, but what other creative signs have you seen? I have 3 that come to mind but will wait for others to chime in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Let’s try to pass the time with some random topics and see if any discussion can come up. 

1. What is the most memorable dominant individual playoff performance people can think of? Some candidates are Bob Cameron’s 1988 Grey Cup, Greg Battle’s 2 INT Grey Cup in 1990, James Murphy vs the Lions in the 1984 West Final, Michael Richardson’s 200+ yard game in the 1992 East Final. Any others, and what made them so great?

2. What is the best fan sign you have ever seen in the stands? “Riders suck” was brilliant in that it appeared at a Bomber-Argo game, but what other creative signs have you seen? I have 3 that come to mind but will wait for others to chime in. 

Chris Garrett's 2011 final in what was supposed to be the last game at the old barn.

When he out stretched his hand to score the final TD to win the game, we thought it was the perfect send-off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MOBomberFan said:

- Stegall's 4 TD 200+ yards on 4 catches is a good one

- Fred Reid destroying the BC D, 260 yards 10ypc

That was my first thought, but it was on Thanksgiving and TrueBlue specified play off performance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • JCon changed the title to Western Final - Riders @ The Champs - Sunday, December 5th - PGT

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...