Random Jets News

I don't think I've told this story before, but I actually met Arniel 25 years ago back when was playing for the Moose, I don't know what was going on that February (I checked with my mother it had to do with Children's Rehabilitation) but I was brought onto the ice, he gave me a pennant autographed by the team (they actually won that game think it was in OT)

Edited by iHeart

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

This is really shocking news. They even went through the process of interviewing others when it was already determined. 

but didn't they also do that during Trotz Watch?

22 minutes ago, JCon said:

This is really shocking news. They even went through the process of interviewing others when it was already determined. 

Did they though?  I wonder how those interviews went?

Prospective coach (other than Arniel): let's be honest guys, are you really interested in anyone but Scotty A?

Chevy: Yeah, yeah for sure

Prospective coach:  Really?

Chevy:  No, not really.  We are deliberately wasting your time..."audible sigh"...line click...dial tone...

Edited by kelownabomberfan

18 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Did they though?  I wonder how those interviews went?

Prospective coach (other than Arniel): let's be honest guys, are you really interested in anyone but Scotty A?

Chevy: Yeah, yeah for sure

Prospective coach:  Really?

Chevy:  No, not really.  We are deliberately wasting your time..."audible sigh"...line click...dial tone...

No real interviews were done. 

Disappointed but not surprised. 

that tweet sounds like it came directly from chipman. 

hopefully Scotty tho gets to pick his assistants. 

Edited by Goalie

On 2024-05-06 at 10:14 AM, JCon said:

Not surprised. Lots going on in his personal life. Enjoy retirement, Bones. 

Bring on Arniel. Seems like it's taken forever for the timing right on this one. 

Again, no surprise. Anyone who has paid attention to TNSE knows that they're loyal to "their" guys even if it means blaming the fans for not buying up all the tickets, rather than looking in the mirror. 

Cue the Principal Skinner meme, no it's the fans that are out of touch. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Again, no surprise. Anyone who has paid attention to TNSE knows that they're loyal to "their" guys even if it means blaming the fans for not buying up all the tickets, rather than looking in the mirror. 

Cue the Principal Skinner meme, no it's the fans that are out of touch. 

Or...you can't handle the truth!

45 minutes ago, Mike said:

Disappointing to see the Jets yet again taking the safest route to mediocrity 

Yup and safe financially too as I don’t think Arniel commands a salary like other well known HC’s currently available for employment.

Is it all about coaching though? A system COMBINED with the proper talent to perfom it successfully is what it takes to win consistently. That consistency INCLUDES playoff performance. This crew (many of the main players) has now had 3 different coaches and the playoff results have been similar (save for one season 2018). Depending how this works out (and I'm willing to give Arniel a chance) maybe it'll be time for True North to replace the GM position (to address personal needs in a different way perhaps). I'm not holding my breath about that part, but as the Bombers showed, when things aren't going well (3-15 in 2013), a house cleaning including players can work wonders ...

icegif-1163.gif

Edited by IC Khari

Scott Arniel's name is all over both versions of the Jets. Interesting that in this big 1.0 trade, Arniel came back to the Jets ... Mike Smith (spit ... like Corner Gas and Wullerton LOL) ...

Edited by IC Khari

29 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

Scott Arniel's name is all over both versions of the Jets. Interesting that in this big 1.0 trade, Arniel came back to the Jets ... Mike Smith (spit ... like Corner Gas and Wullerton LOL) ...

TBF Hawerchuk wanted out. 

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

who else do we have from Jets 1.0 ready to go as our next coach after Arniel inevitably fails?  Doug Smail?  Tim Watters?  Pierre Hamel?

Mark Chipman should just coach the team since he’s the guy making the decisions always. Ppl want a new gm. Like he’d have any say. This is chipmans team. The bombers are Winnipeg’s team. The jets are chipmans. Bottom line. 

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

TBF Hawerchuk wanted out. 

This move netted us a pretty good d-man in Housley that worked well with Selanne. My disrespect for Smith is not really for this move but his general ineptitude ...

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

who else do we have from Jets 1.0 ready to go as our next coach after Arniel inevitably fails?  Doug Smail?  Tim Watters?  Pierre Hamel?

Stu Barnes?

I’ll be honest. Arniel prob a good coach. Let’s be real. Prob better with him than hiring a retread like evason or mclellan. But the roster needs to be changed. Coaches coach. Players play. Saw in the playoffs that we got a few guys who just aren’t built for it. Ehlers and pionk really struggled badly. 

28 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

This move netted us a pretty good d-man in Housley that worked well with Selanne. My disrespect for Smith is not really for this move but his general ineptitude ...

This was the low point for Smith for me.  Drafting Sergie Bautin in the first round when no one even knew who he was.   Then the draft believes they drafted Sergei Brylin, which was wrong, because they were scrambling. 

Bautin's NHL stats?  In 2 years played 130 games.  5 Goals, 25 assists (30 points).

Brylin, had that been who we had drafted, at least had a 13 year career with the devils.    Drafted in the 2nd round by the devils.