Favourite Blue Bombers Memory

Y2C

So many but I'm going to go with the 2005 Thanksgiving Day Game. Milt had 4 catches, 4 tds and 200+ yards. Thing was they didn't throw to him until quarter two. Recall my Dad and I asking each other why they weren't throwing to him and then after he got the first one, both of us saying this is why you go to Milt.

The 2011 East Final vs Hamilton had so much. Vega coming in at tight end and scoring a goal line TD... Suber recovering the ball infront if a dumbfounded Chris Williams (the hottest **** in town at that point in time)... Garrett scoring a TD on what was meant to be the last play ever in the old barn... booing Glenn between flask swigs... saving the lives of underdressed Winnipeggers by sharing the wool blanket... good times.

Just like we did in Saskatchewan last season. Going into the unfriendly confines of BC Place Stadium to win the 1984 Western Final. In those days, they'd get 59,000 fans to their games & noise was a real problem. Anyway, going down to BC Place, knocking off the arrogant Lions in front of their fans felt absolutely fantastic. 

This is obscure but it was a regular season game against the Edmonton Eskimos in 1984. The Esks were a dynasty that had stopped some great Bomber teams every year for a decade or so. They seemed unbeatable. It was a show down for supremacy in the West, and we were behind a couple points late in the 4th Q. The D came on strong and forced an Edmonton punt from deep in their own end. I'll never forget Bob's play call..." Hank Ilesic back to punt....ITS BLOCKED...THIS COULD BE A TOUCHDOWN....AND IT IS.."

I know...I know...one play in a regular season game from 1984? No man...that was the day we finally turned the corner and proved we could beat the Eskimos in an important game. We went on that year to win the Grey Cup and I think that game was the game that our guys really believed we could win it all and the Bombers dominance of the 80s began.

1984 upset win against BC in Western Final
Lions were supposedly unbeatable in their noisy dome.  Outstanding game from D and James Murphy

1984 Cup win against Hamilton 
Blue fall behind 14-0 early against Brock, but roar back to turn it into blowout Cup win, ending my first long drought

Milt Miracle
Time for one play, looking at pretty tough loss on the road.   Started to get out of my chair, for some reason sat back down......oh no! Milt running down the field, and DOD jumping up and down, with gin all over his shirtfront.

Don Jonas reverse jersey game against the Stamps
Flintstone throws 4 picks in terrible first half, throws tantrum in tunnel, comes out with jersey on backwards, throws 4 TDs in 2nd half to lead huge comeback. Stamps player tries to punch me, during postgame

1990 Cup Win
Bombers take a real good Edmonton team, and..... backed by one of the all time best CFL defences, completely dismantle them

Concorde grounding
Montreal comes in with a heavily hyped squad featuring Vince Ferragamo, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson and other ex-NFL "big names"......and gets obliterated by 50 points.  Bombers were totally merciless, that night

Well now I'm going to reveal just how much of an antique I really is....Leo Lewis coming out of nowhere in the fog bowl (still don't know how he came up with that catch) caught a Kenny Ploen pass and headed for the end zone...I thought Ploen was just throwing one up..but out of the foggy mist comes Leo with the ball...amazing

3 hours ago, do or die said:

1984 upset win against BC in Western Final
Lions were supposedly unbeatable in their noisy dome.  Outstanding game from D and James Murphy

1984 Cup win against Hamilton 
Blue fall behind 14-0 early against Brock, but roar back to turn it into blowout Cup win, ending my first long drought

Milt Miracle
Time for one play, looking at pretty tough loss on the road.   Started to get out of my chair, for some reason sat back down......oh no! Milt running down the field, and DOD jumping up and down, with gin all over his shirtfront.

Don Jonas reverse jersey game against the Stamps
Flintstone throws 4 picks in terrible first half, throws tantrum in tunnel, comes out with jersey on backwards, throws 4 TDs in 2nd half to lead huge comeback. Stamps player tries to punch me, during postgame

1990 Cup Win
Bombers take a real good Edmonton team, and..... backed by one of the all time best CFL defences, completely dismantle them

Concorde grounding
Montreal comes in with a heavily hyped squad featuring Vince Ferragamo, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson and other ex-NFL "big names"......and gets obliterated by 50 points.  Bombers were totally merciless, that night

That Don Jonas story... I lived through that era & I don't remember that. Don threw a lot of interceptions to TD's. About 50/50 as he was a risk taker & a gunslinger. But so did a lot of qbs back then. Lancaster was another one who threw a lot of picks so would Jonas have lost his mind in anger? I think, from what I remember that Jonas was a cool cat. Not a lot bothered him on the field & he was always calm when he played. But wearing his jersey backwards?

The refs would have told him to put it on the right way or be penalized. The dress code was a lot stricter back then. Look at the old pics of players right into the 90's. No bare skin anywhere except for the arms & forearms. That is unlike today. For example, a players shin had to be covered or there was a penalty on the field & a fine to the offending player. Today, we see players do that all the time with no consequences. Bare arms that show a player's delts & bare shins.

I'm thinking as that was 50 years ago perhaps maybe it was a torn jersey he wore or one with another number. Then again, if that is a sweet Bomber memory for you & even if it did or didn't happen but you remember it that way then I'm fine with it.  :)

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That Don Jonas story... I lived through that era & I don't remember that. Don threw a lot of interceptions to TD's. About 50/50 as he was a risk taker & a gunslinger. But so did a lot of qbs back then. Lancaster was another one who threw a lot of picks. But wearing his jersey backwards? I dunno, man. The refs would have told him to put it on the right way or be penalized. The dress code was a lot stricter back then. Look at the oldpics. No bare skin anywhere except for the arms & forearms. Certainly nowhere else that is unlike today. For example, bare skin on a players shin had to be covered or there was a penalty on the field & a fine to the offending player. Today, we see players do that all the time with no consequences. I'm thinking as that was 50 years ago perhaps maybe it was a torn jersey he wore or one with another number. Then again, if that is a sweet Bomber memory for you & even if it did or didn't happen then I'm fine with it. 

Hear you, but he came out of the tunnel with it on backwards, played most of the half like that, Jack Matheson made particular mention of the "turn around" in his column the next day, as well

Boldens Pick 6 was just amazing! I remember jumping up and down screaming "WE'RE GOING TO THE CUP!"

Stegalls 4 catches for a million yards and 4 TDs. HOW THE **** DID THAT HAPPEN!!?!? lol

That last season in the old barn (*2011) and the noise the fans generated all season long. Broke a ring I had on the back of those upper deck benches. And I still have the sign for section 10A

2004 labour day game. I told Kenton Keith that I had slept with his mother during pregame. He had a horrible game. Bombers won.

2019 - YES! 

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

I'm shocked nobody has mentioned Milts record breaking TD at the old barn..and the crazy thunderous eruption that created..one of the loudest moments I have personally experienced in not just a CFL stadium but from across North America

Until GC, this was my favorite moment I was able to see live.  Didn't think anything would ever beat it... I was wrong!

4 hours ago, Booch said:

I'm shocked nobody has mentioned Milts record breaking TD at the old barn..and the crazy thunderous eruption that created..one of the loudest moments I have personally experienced in not just a CFL stadium but from across North America

I thought of that.. don’t get me wrong it was an absolutely awesome  moment but the play itself was kind of lacklustre which dropped it down abit for me. 

Edited by Blueandgold

Well, here's some moments nobody else has mentioned

Live moment #1 - July 27, 2017 - Matt Nichols eeking out a sneaky 41-40 win with 1:40 left against the Als after being down 28 - 40.

Live moment #2 October 11, 2010 - Steven Jyles replacing Stinky Brinky with the Bombers down 32-11 to start a massive comeback. My favorite was the stadium announcer beginning overtime "For all of you fans joining us from the parking lot..."

Radio moment #1 - June 11, 2014 - Drew Willy playing a stellar game led the Bombers to a last-second touchdown and a 34-33 win over the Als. Too bad that ended up being the peak of his career here in Winnipeg.

Lastly, going to the Grey Cup in Vancouver in 2011 with my then-girlfriend (now wife), we ended up with free tickets to the Riderville pavilion and went just to check it out. They gave out these free green bead necklaces with your admission and when she was offered them she just straight up refused as politely and matter-of-fact as possible ("Oh sorry, I don't do green"). Knew right then I'd marry her.

12 hours ago, Booch said:

I was working....but my Dad and brother swear it's the loudest they ever heard that place get.

I remember it being crazy loud but I also remember moving on with the game in short order. No mid game ceremonies or interviews, just back to work. Years later when I think it was Geroy Simon breaking the receiving yards record they halted the game to chat him up... seemed silly to interrupt the game like that. My chunk of Milt Stegall TD turf is within arms reach right this moment.