Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Y2C

Favourite Blue Bombers Memory

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Booch said:

I'm shocked nobody has mentioned Milts record breaking TD at the old barn..and the crazy thunderous eruption that created..one of the loudest moments I have personally experienced in not just a CFL stadium but from across North America

I strongly maintain this record will never be broken.... only because the reality is anyone good enough to do it will likely spend a good portion of their career in the NFL...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had season tickets in that endzone that he scored in, so it was kind of "right in front of us" when it happened. It was pretty bonkers. I just remember how much pressure there was to get the damned thing over with, so people would stop asking about it and they could move on with the rest of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I strongly maintain this record will never be broken.... only because the reality is anyone good enough to do it will likely spend a good portion of their career in the NFL...

YEah this record will never be broken I don't think ever...considering the most recent player to get in the top 5 (Geroy Simon) fell 33 TD's short, while playing one more year (15 to 14) tells me it will never happen. Other than Allen Pitts 10 years no other guy in the top played less than 13 years..Pringle..Reed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I had season tickets in that endzone that he scored in, so it was kind of "right in front of us" when it happened. It was pretty bonkers. I just remember how much pressure there was to get the damned thing over with, so people would stop asking about it and they could move on with the rest of the season.

Where were sitting Noeller, I was Section O row 7 seat 1? Also right in front of me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I had season tickets in that endzone that he scored in, so it was kind of "right in front of us" when it happened. It was pretty bonkers. I just remember how much pressure there was to get the damned thing over with, so people would stop asking about it and they could move on with the rest of the season.

Was in section S, row 2 for that game.  Bonkers is right... longest ovation I can ever remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tyrone Jones blowing through the line and smacking Roy Dewalt, over and over again, in a home game against BC.  BC was "the team to beat" at that time so I am assuming it was in the 1985 or 1986 time frame.  It was total domination, the Bombers just destroyed them.  In my favorite memories, Tyrone always plays a big part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2020-03-24 at 9:52 AM, bearpants said:

I strongly maintain this record will never be broken.... only because the reality is anyone good enough to do it will likely spend a good portion of their career in the NFL...

Yup, I was there at that game that day. And his 100 some yard catch with no time left against The Shmoes. Can still here Cuthbert losing his ****.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Tyrone Jones blowing through the line and smacking Roy Dewalt, over and over again, in a home game against BC.  BC was "the team to beat" at that time so I am assuming it was in the 1985 or 1986 time frame.  It was total domination, the Bombers just destroyed them.  In my favorite memories, Tyrone always plays a big part.

That was 1984. Lions had minus 50 yards of offence in the first half. Aaron Brown had 4 sacks too that game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a ton of them, many memorable moments, was in Halifax when Milt broke the TD record so that one isn’t part of it. My favourite live game may now be last year’s West Final in Regina that I drove out for. But my best memory is October 9, 2005. My dad had turned 77 years old a few weeks earlier, and it was the Bombers’ 75th anniversary commemorative game. He had taken me to games for some two and a half decades, so I was just getting to the stage where I started to pay for the season ticket package to pay him back for all the years he had done it. We always wore our headsets to listen to the radio broadcast (I actually started doing it because I didn’t want to hear all the swearing around me as a young impressionable boy) from our East side seats, and he asked me on a few occasions where Bob and Bob (Irving and Cameron) broadcast from. So I thought a neat birthday present would be to show him. 
     Called up Carol at the club offices, and asked if it would be possible to get a brief tour. She was wonderful as always and told us to get to the stadium an hour early and she would walk us through press row and the broadcast area. So we got a tour of the club offices and escorted up to media row, and down the hallway to where the CJOB booth was. Little did I know that she had made another request for my dad, one that she had hinted at to me but wasn’t sure could be pulled off since the pre-game broadcast was on when we arrived. As we got to the booth, we saw both Bobs and Mitch doing their pre-game thing, when they went to commercial, and Bob Irving came out and chatted up my dad for a few minutes, funnily enough more about family stuff rather than football, but Bob was as gracious as could be and giving of his time right in the middle of what was a broadcast session, and my dad was on cloud 9. My dad would pass away 12 years later to the day, so he never saw the drought end, but that was the best present I could ever give him and was the best memory I could ever have, thanks to the Bomber and CJOB staff. 
     And yeah, everyone else knows that game as the Milt Stegall 4 catch, 4 TD game against BC, so it really put a bow on the day. Most magical memory of all for me. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2020-03-25 at 12:56 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Have a ton of them, many memorable moments, was in Halifax when Milt broke the TD record so that one isn’t part of it. My favourite live game may now be last year’s West Final in Regina that I drove out for. But my best memory is October 9, 2005. My dad had turned 77 years old a few weeks earlier, and it was the Bombers’ 75th anniversary commemorative game. He had taken me to games for some two and a half decades, so I was just getting to the stage where I started to pay for the season ticket package to pay him back for all the years he had done it. We always wore our headsets to listen to the radio broadcast (I actually started doing it because I didn’t want to hear all the swearing around me as a young impressionable boy) from our East side seats, and he asked me on a few occasions where Bob and Bob (Irving and Cameron) broadcast from. So I thought a neat birthday present would be to show him. 
     Called up Carol at the club offices, and asked if it would be possible to get a brief tour. She was wonderful as always and told us to get to the stadium an hour early and she would walk us through press row and the broadcast area. So we got a tour of the club offices and escorted up to media row, and down the hallway to where the CJOB booth was. Little did I know that she had made another request for my dad, one that she had hinted at to me but wasn’t sure could be pulled off since the pre-game broadcast was on when we arrived. As we got to the booth, we saw both Bobs and Mitch doing their pre-game thing, when they went to commercial, and Bob Irving came out and chatted up my dad for a few minutes, funnily enough more about family stuff rather than football, but Bob was as gracious as could be and giving of his time right in the middle of what was a broadcast session, and my dad was on cloud 9. My dad would pass away 12 years later to the day, so he never saw the drought end, but that was the best present I could ever give him and was the best memory I could ever have, thanks to the Bomber and CJOB staff. 
     And yeah, everyone else knows that game as the Milt Stegall 4 catch, 4 TD game against BC, so it really put a bow on the day. Most magical memory of all for me. 

That is great. Your last part brought a tear to my eye. That is a wonderful memory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TrueBlue4ever's memory about his Dad triggered a long forgotten one in my mind. It's football & it's the Bombers but it had nothing to do with any player or game on the field. I was in Grade 12 & in my Business Administration class. My teacher gave us a major project to do. To study a business, how it's set up, etc. How the money flows, the management team, kind of business, customers, marketing of products etc, etc. We also had to do our reports in groups so it was a major undertaking worth a major percentage of our term mark. Something like 35%. I called my 2 football playing buddies who happened to be taking the same course over & said, "Let's do the Blue Bombers!" Well, they were all in & we sat down to plot a course of just how we'd get this done & how to approach it. 

I called the Blue Bomber office & spoke to then GM Earl Lunsford. I asked if we could interview him on this subject & we agreed. We planned the interview, wrote down a ton of questions & all 3 of us went down to Maroons Road tape recorder in hand to interview Lunsford. He was very friendly, genuinely interested in what we were doing, answered all our questions about the business side of the Blue Bombers & gave us plenty of his time. Like 2 hours. IIRC, he seemed to be getting as big a kick out of talking to us as we did to him. Anyway, a great meeting & we took away a lot of information we used in our project's report. 

The next executive that we wanted to speak to was then Bomber President Paul Morton to discuss how community ownership works. That interview didn't go as well as Lunsford's. I was on time but my 2 partners never showed up. So, I sat in Morton's office doing small talk while waiting for the other 2 who never came.  Morton was growing impatient so I decided to forge on ahead on my own after about 10 minutes. Luckily, I had my tape recorder so I asked all my questions & some that I made up on the fly & left after about half an hour. Morton was helpful but not as outgoing as Lunsford was. He definitely was not impressed that my 2 friends did not show up.

When I think back, there I was with long hair, jeans, runner & a tee shirt talking to a multi millionaire businessman looking like a bum. Then my 2 compadres never showed. It's no wonder he wasn't impressed. I just remember his expensive suit, huge upstairs office at his movie theatre off of Notre Dame & his big thick  moustache & sideburns. Here's a guy who being owner of a big movie theatre chain across Canada & who must have hobnobbed with Hollywood movie actors & shakers as well as being Bomber President & there I was just sitting across from his desk.  A 17 year old kid just  wasting his time.

Next day at school I found out what happened to my friends. They were involved in a serious car accident. One of them hurt his neck & arm. He was wearing a collar & his right arm was in a sling. There were no smartphones back in those days so no one texted or called me to say what happened. I called Morton to apologize & explained what happened but he still didn't sound empathetic.

Anyway, we were able to put the report together & our efforts got us an A so that is my non football memory of the Blue Bombers. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...