Bombers acquire Zach Collaros

Mike

6 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

See, that's just it; they were TRYING to bring in a veteran - but making it sound like they weren't. Unless Pinball has a magic wand that suddenly made a trade appear after he was hired (hmmmm I think I'll call Winnipeg now). 

Other way around....when Walters saw the regime change, he called them....

21 hours ago, Brock Streveler said:

Given your gross failures in predictions over the past season maybe you should sit this one out.

RileysRompers you picked the Bombers to finish last in the West over on Riderfans….so maybe stfu you troll. Coming on here pretending to be a Bomber fan under an assumed name when within an hour you started two identical threads on two separate forums, one here as Brock Streveler the Bomber fan and one as RIleysRompers the long time Riderfans members and staunch tent pole of the desk fort. Shameless...you are giving Migs a run for his money as most mentally unbalanced Riderfan troll. Who does that? If you are a RIder fan come on here with your big Saskatchewan boy panties on and face the heat of your trolling instead of pretending to be a Bomber fan. My god...how sad.

Edited by gcn11

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

And? Does he owe them anything? Is anyone in the media or the fanbase entitled to know the inner workings of the team?

Not really, but kind of. Overall, O'Shea I think does a pretty good job with the media. He's not Paul Maurice, but he's pretty good.

The media has a job to do. And sometimes that job is to ask annoying, obvious questions. Coaches definitely need to be discreet. They're never going to share everything, nor should they. But, this is a business that relies on fans buying tickets. So, once in a while, coaches have to give the media/fans something. Fans now are well informed, so being too glib can come across as condescending. With the Collaros thing, I agree O'Shea shouldn't spill the beans to the media. But, maybe a stock "we're always looking at ways to improve our team" sits better with the fans than "no, we're not considering that option at all". In other words, as fans you might be tuning into Trevor Knight in the playoffs fans! Anyone want to renew their season tickets for next year?

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'll never understand the entitlement of "WE DESERVE TO KNOW EVERYTHING!" .....No. If keeping things close to the vest is the best course of action, then I trust them to do what's right. If we don't need to know, we don't need to know. 

what I think it is, some people just can't form their own opinions and need to be told what to think. 

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

And? Does he owe them anything? Is anyone in the media or the fanbase entitled to know the inner workings of the team?

Not necessarily but a polite no comment would be better than saying the opposite of the truth and not giving a **** what the press or public think about it.  In the end it's all public relations, O'Shea  is fairly careless with his public credibility even though he's basically the mouthpiece of the organization and holds daily press conferences and a weekly promotional call in show were he mostly spews mindless platitudes.  He's like an old time coach that doesn't believe it's part of his job to promote the club, even though he's paid extra to perform those duties, he does so with a grudge.   All things matter when one is working for an entertainment organization that is selling it's image and products to the public, you'd think Wade Miller would have  gotten that concept through to O'Shea by now.   Help don't hinder.

So, his perceived lack of politeness is the issue...? That's quite a reach.

I fail to understand how he operates differently than other coaches when dealing with the media. Do other CFL head coaches provide more information to their media members or the fans? I can't say I've seen anything to support that notion. I also fail to see how his methods hinder the organization. The call-in show is a joke and most of the press conferences aren't any better.

I guess perhaps I just don't care enough about that minutia; what happens on the field is what matters. The radio shows and pressers are basically just background noise, anyway. And it sounds like some media members and fans feel like they're owed something by the WFC as far as information of its behind-the-scenes operations goes. That's a pretty poor attitude and maybe speaks to the entitlement complex rampant in society these days.

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I fail to understand how he operates differently than other coaches when dealing with the media. Do other CFL head coaches provide more information to their media members or the fans? I can't say I've seen anything to support that notion. I also fail to see how his methods hinder the organization. The call-in show is a joke and most of the press conferences aren't any better.

I guess perhaps I just don't care enough about that minutia; what happens on the field is what matters. The radio shows and pressers are basically just background noise, anyway. And it sounds like some media members and fans feel like they're owed something by the WFC as far as information of its behind-the-scenes operations goes. That's a pretty poor attitude and maybe speaks to the entitlement complex rampant in society these days.

I think Mike Kelly is the measuring stick on how to judge Bomber executives/management/staff/coaches/players in how they deal with the media and fans.

So far so good.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I hear ya. And I agree with much of what you're saying. But, I think in today's world of pro sports, with fans having so much access to information, and so many chances to engage with the team, you're missing an opportunity as an organization if you don't try at least to give the fans a little more. Whether it's through your team website (which the Bombers do pretty well), social media, or pressers. I think O'Shea is pretty good and similar to other coaches. I just think there's a missed opportunity when everyone and their dog knows on social media that the Bombers were inquiring about QB's, and you flat out deny it. This isn't 1980 where we had to wait three days after the fact for any information to come out about anything around a team. Play ball. Get with the times. They all knew Justin Dunk and others had inside information. Go with it a bit with a "we're always trying to find players to help our team" comment. Gets the fans speculating, excited, engaged, maybe thinking about buying some tickets. Even Paul Maurice will once in a while reference some article or analytics discussion that has been posted somewhere. I enjoy that as a fan. 

Edited by M.Silverback

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'll never understand the entitlement of "WE DESERVE TO KNOW EVERYTHING!" .....No. If keeping things close to the vest is the best course of action, then I trust them to do what's right. If we don't need to know, we don't need to know. 

Personally, I don't care one way or the other.  But...

When someone had a scoop about something that was obviously legit, but the Head Coach flatly denies it and presents it as an impossibility, and basically says the media is out to lunch...

...then a few days later it turns out to be true.  

All he had to say was...yes...we have made some inquiries.  

It simply does not look good, from an organization that has usually had a good public image. 

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Fair points - the other teams don't even have a weekly coach's show.  I have listened to our show once this year - it was a waste of time.

The Collaros story could have been handled better - it doesn't look good, punkt. 

14 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Personally, I don't care one way or the other.  But...

When someone had a scoop about something that was obviously legit, but the Head Coach flatly denies it and presents it as an impossibility, and basically says the media is out to lunch...

...then a few days later it turns out to be true.  

All he had to say was...yes...we have made some inquiries.  

It simply does not look good, from an organization that has usually had a good public image. 

You're being too generous, it was a matter of 2 hours after O'Shea said they wouldn't be making any moves that Walters pulled the trigger on Collaros.   It could be just a disconnect but in the end it qualifies as a needless and embarrassing flub up of information.

16 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

You're being too generous, it was a matter of 2 hours after O'Shea said they wouldn't be making any moves that Walters pulled the trigger on Collaros.   It could be just a disconnect but in the end it qualifies as a needless and embarrassing flub up of information.

I wasn't even aware of the exact timeline, thanks for that.

33 minutes ago, Goalie said:

My question.. When Healthy is he better than Nichols? 

If we are comparing both guys when they were at their peak then yes ZC definitely was better.   But if we are doing what have you done for me lately,  Nichols has been light years better the last 2 seasons then ZC. 

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

If we are comparing both guys when they were at their peak then yes ZC definitely was better.   But if we are doing what have you done for me lately,  Nichols has been light years better the last 2 seasons then ZC. 

With Collaros in sick bay so much during that period, how could you tell?