Bombers release Chris Matthews

trueBlue83

28 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Mini Mack was the best addict that the Bombers employed to the best of my knowledge. I don't remember him going green but if he did I probably would have wiped it out of the memory banks with the Men in Blue pen. 

didn't he lead the riders to the grey cup in 97 or 98?... only to lose by 107 to Flutie and the Argos...

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Image result for tim burke football

He was not HC material. But I've said this before and I'll say it again: the WFC, Joe Mack in particular, did absolutely nothing to put Burke in a position to succeed. That roster was a disaster. His HC tenure was set up for failure the moment he replaced LaPolice. I'm pretty sure Tim has PTSD from that whole ordeal.

Edited by blue_gold_84

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

He was not HC material. But I've said this before and I'll say it again: the WFC, Joe Mack in particular, did absolutely to put Burke in a position to succeed. His HC tenure was set up for failure the moment he replaced LaPolice. I'm pretty sure Tim has PTSD from that whole ordeal.

yup.

As an aside, good article at The Athletic (behind paywall) indicating the NFL team needs and surplus areas leading up to cut day. Lots of teams have a surplus of receivers, meaning lots will get cut. Not saying that it's necessarily easy to get them to come to the CFL, or the Bombers for that matter. But, the supply side says there are a lot of potential American receivers looking for work. Perhaps another reason not to stick with a pricey, non productive import receiver with documented off field incidents.

https://theathletic.com/1165706/2019/08/28/a-look-at-each-nfl-teams-needs-and-surpluses-heading-into-cut-down-day/

Edited by M.Silverback

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

He was not HC material. But I've said this before and I'll say it again: the WFC, Joe Mack in particular, did absolutely nothing to put Burke in a position to succeed. That roster was a disaster. His HC tenure was set up for failure the moment he replaced LaPolice. I'm pretty sure Tim has PTSD from that whole ordeal.

He may have been set up to fail but the guy was no leader. He threw everyone under the bus. It was a good day the day he was no longer the Bomber HC. 

Just now, JCon said:

He may have been set up to fail but the guy was no leader. He threw everyone under the bus. It was a good day the day he was no longer the Bomber HC. 

Youre right as well. Though I think he was upset at becoming the interim HC its no excuse. You can hide that as a CO or position coach, cant do it as a HC. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Yeah, you're absolutely right - hence my comment about him not being HC material. Same goes for the soft-spoken offensive mind he replaced. But who put him (both, actually) in that position? Joe Mack, king of deflection and finger pointing.

That said, I'd have loved to see Burke remain a DC in this league. His defenses were a joy to watch.

21 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Tim Burke was the worst head coach I have ever seen this team have and that's saying something.

It's sort of the chicken and egg argument again buddy. He had terrible talent to deal with. If he had great talent, who knows what could have happened. Maybe he was a bad head coach. I don't know. But when you have a great QB and lots of talent you can make even a bad coach look decent. (Heh, even I could have coached the Gretzky-led Edmonton Oilers to multiple Stanley Cups)

5 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

It's sort of the chicken and egg argument again buddy. He had terrible talent to deal with. If he had great talent, who knows what could have happened. Maybe he was a bad head coach. I don't know. But when you have a great QB and lots of talent you can make even a bad coach look decent. (Heh, even I could have coached the Gretzky-led Edmonton Oilers to multiple Stanley Cups)

Tim Burke was as bad of a coach as Jason Bultz was as a QB

2 hours ago, Adrenaline_x said:

I miss Max Hall.. a bright spot in an otherwise shitty year.

People can say what they like about Max Hall but he was one of the toughest QB I've ever seen play, the beatings Reilly is taking in BC are nothing compared to what Hall endured in 2013 playing behind a toothless O-line.   

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

It’s still too soon to talk about Burke and Mack and LDC...

That was one of the worst experiences of my life. A bunch of us had gotten together and rented a cabin for the weekend. The game was such a f****** disaster it literally ruined the weekend. Everyone was in a bad mood after and some people even left early and went home that night lol.