Bombers @ Lewis Ward's 47 yard missed FG Pre-game Thread

BBlink

Bighill is unquestionably the best player and leader of this defense... but I think the talent surrounding him has increased over the last couple years (including the last of the glorious Hurl years)... I think the defense will still be solid... led by the front 4... I'm predicting 5 sacks of Dom tomorrow night... including Big Willie breaking out with three (a sack-trick?)...

4 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

No AB means Jefferson has a monster game to compensate.

This is where it is going to be interesting to watch. Jefferson tends to freelance a lot and if he starts doing that against the RedBlacks, it will be a bad thing as Bighill will not be there to fill the A-gaps.

Not worried at all. Wilson is fast and moves with the ball. Jefferson will be fine. I’m not sure why there’s angst with Willie boy, he’s doing fine. Of the 7 FGs we forced last game, he was responsible for 2 hurries and thusly, 2 incompletions, leading to FGs...

47 minutes ago, Tracker said:

This is where it is going to be interesting to watch. Jefferson tends to freelance a lot and if he starts doing that against the RedBlacks, it will be a bad thing as Bighill will not be there to fill the A-gaps.

I’m really curious how you know with such certainty that Jefferson goes off script

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’m really curious how you know with such certainty that Jefferson goes off script

It's probably the same person who was complaining that Jefferson hasn't been getting any sacks this year who complains about him going off script... like the two things aren't potentially related.

Last couples of years Jefferson got burnt a number of times when he basically sold out to try and sack the QB...  So far this year IMO he has been playing some really disciplined ball which is probably going to hurt his sack numbers but definitely makes for a more consistent defence.

The Bombers did win some games against Ottawa with Hurl in there. That being said, we here would all agree that anyone in there is better than Hurl, so by my Sackstenchewan type calculations, The Bombers should be better than we were back in the Hurl days when we beat Ottawa at that time. 

Just now, Firekid said:

The Bombers did win some games against Ottawa with Hurl in there. That being said, we here would all agree that anyone in there is better than Hurl, so by my Sackstenchewan type calculations, The Bombers should be better than we were back in the Hurl days when we beat Ottawa at that time. 

Math checks out

2 hours ago, BomberfanMKS said:

It's probably the same person who was complaining that Jefferson hasn't been getting any sacks this year who complains about him going off script... like the two things aren't potentially related.

Last couples of years Jefferson got burnt a number of times when he basically sold out to try and sack the QB...  So far this year IMO he has been playing some really disciplined ball which is probably going to hurt his sack numbers but definitely makes for a more consistent defence.

I don't think Jefferson has ever been a sack machine, at least not when compared to perennial league leaders like Hughes, the most sacks he's ever had was 10 last season.  His value derives more from his ability to disrupt the offensive scheme and create enormous havoc in the mind of Matt Nichols.  Good thing he's on our team now.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Briggs college "tape". 

Tait: “Right from his  (Briggs) rookie year he’s as smart as they come,” said O’Shea. “He sees it or hears it once and he knows it. He’s extremely fast, he’s strong, he’s a very good football player. He’s probably deserved more of an opportunity over his last bunch of years than we’ve given him.

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I believe it was on 1290 radio when the signing was announced. If memory serves, the comment was that Jefferson in Regina had the freedom to go where he wanted and the rest of the front 7 had to compensate. There was speculation as to whether he would still be given the same license with  he Bombers.

29 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Briggs college "tape". 

Tait: “Right from his  (Briggs) rookie year he’s as smart as they come,” said O’Shea. “He sees it or hears it once and he knows it. He’s extremely fast, he’s strong, he’s a very good football player. He’s probably deserved more of an opportunity over his last bunch of years than we’ve given him.

Happy to see Briggs get an opportunity, hope he makes the best of it.

11 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

All I want to see is a good, old fashioned, ass kicking.  Nothing pretty.  Go into Ottawa and beat them on both sides of the ball.

in the good old days of the 1980's the Bombers would regularly hand Ottawa a giant can of whoop ass.  I am hopeful we are seeing a return to those days.

5 hours ago, J5V said:

Bombers will flex their muscle in this one. Simply beat on Ottawa. The score will take care of itself. No one likes playing the Bombers. We are a nasty bunch. I'm looking for a punch-you-in-the-mouth kind of game. We have no friends over there. **** 'em. 

Agreed- they are totally taking on the personality of their coach.

5 hours ago, Goalie said:

Ottawa has had our number since their return. A loss wouldnt shock me. I want to think Matty and Harris have bounce back games tho after less than stellar play last week. 

The O steps up here IMO. 

You know I went back and looked at the results between these two teams, now unless I counted wrong (distinct possibility) The Bombers do more winning against them than they do against us. 

I suspect perhaps you are thinking about a couple times when the Bombers were on the wrong end of a bad score.

57 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I believe it was on 1290 radio when the signing was announced. If memory serves, the comment was that Jefferson in Regina had the freedom to go where he wanted and the rest of the front 7 had to compensate. There was speculation as to whether he would still be given the same license with  he Bombers.

Yes, this jives with what I heard out of Regina last year too.