2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

49 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Former Alouettes running-back Éric Lapointe hasn’t given up on his desire to purchase the Canadian Football League team — although he appears to be waging a losing battle against brothers Jeffrey and Peter Lenkov.

“We care. We have a plan,” Lapointe told the Montreal Gazette Monday about his group of investors. “I’ll continue my fight until the team’s sold. We have everything.”

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/eric-lapointe-clinging-to-his-desire-to-purchase-the-alouettes#click=https://t.co/LKeXO55uzm

Idk the financial details behind the lapointe lead group. But I bet that they are exactly the passionate local group that the team needs. 

24 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

As much of a joke as that team was off the field because of his antics, the team wasnt that bad on the field despite the horrendous playbook. Had they won the last game of the year they would have qualified for the playoffs, they beat Calgary in week 2, set a rushing record in BC and humiliated Hamilton on Thanksgiving as well.

And beat the Argos 13 - 12 with a lights out game from the D. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Perfect said:

As much of a joke as that team was off the field because of his antics, the team wasnt that bad on the field despite the horrendous playbook. Had they won the last game of the year they would have qualified for the playoffs, they beat Calgary in week 2, set a rushing record in BC and humiliated Hamilton on Thanksgiving as well.

and there was that home win against Montreal where Bishop passed for more than 400 yards ... bomb after bomb after bomb.  Such a great game to watch, I thought we were on our way after that one.

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

I was just thinking about how little parity there is right now. In fact the DISparity between best and worst is as far as I've seen it in a really really long time...

This is the worst I can recall the CFL ever looking, usually the majority of the West is strong and there are at least 2 good teams in the East, I blame rampant Free Agency with many teams having to flip 10-15 players and start over again each year, half with lousy QB's.  If the entertainment value of the games remains poor past L-Day the league is going to lose a huge percentage of their TSN viewing audience due to disinterest, further damaging the league's reputation.  The only thing that makes this season half-way tolerable is that the Bombers are currently sitting on top of the smoking rubble heap.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

2 hours ago, Rod Black said:

Not sure where to post this, here or on the recently created “Stabbing thread”. 

Anyways, on Saturday, Gainer the Gopher assaulted a stuffed Lion. He’s in trouble for inappropriate grabbing the lion between the legs and punting him. 

Even the Gopher’s a hill billy.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/saskatchewan-roughriders-mascot-gainer-the-gopher-in-hot-water-once-again-1.4518907

That's nothing if you've seen what Wilfred does to "Bear".

tumblr_lr6g9h5JYe1qzexzto1_500.gif

8 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

This is the worst I can recall the CFL ever looking, usually the majority of the West is strong and there are at least 2 good teams in the East, I blame rampant Free Agency with many teams having to flip 10-15 players and start over again each year, half with lousy QB's. 

naylor tsn

2. There’s been too much player movement since last season

It’s a shame that the CFL and its players association didn’t do more (anything?) to restrict player movement or give players an incentive to remain with the same team. Since the introduction of the one-year contract under former commissioner Mark Cohon, the CFL has become an annual job-swap meet, as is evident during the early weeks of each season when even dedicated fans are likely to be saying, “I’d forgotten he signed with …” In no season does that seem to be more the case than this one. As for why the league and union didn’t find a way to remedy this, here’s my guess: The league asked the players for some sort of restriction on free agency, the union asked for something in return, the league refused and the conversation ended. Just a guess.

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

naylor tsn

It’s a shame that the CFL and its players association didn’t do more (anything?) to restrict player movement or give players an incentive to remain with the same team. Since the introduction of the one-year contract under former commissioner Mark Cohon, the CFL has become an annual job-swap meet, as is evident during the early weeks of each season when even dedicated fans are likely to be saying, “I’d forgotten he signed with …” In no season does that seem to be more the case than this one. As for why the league and union didn’t find a way to remedy this, here’s my guess: The league asked the players for some sort of restriction on free agency, the union asked for something in return, the league refused and the conversation ended. Just a guess.

I believe it takes several years of a stable roster for CFL fans to start identifying strongly with a given edition of a team. It also helps to have personable players out in public- Khari Jones and Buck Pierce are a couple of examples. 

3 hours ago, Mark F said:

naylor tsn

Perhaps some thing like the NBA where cfl teams can offer a super max deal (which would involve capping the amount a single player can earn, which would be good) after 3 years of service. 

Ive always thought teams should be compensated when losing a star player in FA that they developed. Like the MLB system, but not costing as much as first round picks. More neg list players and less for teams that sign more fas, stuff like that. 

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Literally just did the same.   A kicker?  I'm out.

I actually thought it was pretty good. It gives you a glimpse of the life of a PR player in the cfl. Not glamorous and the requirement to put your life in the US on hold for a dream to play football in Canada. All that for $575  cdn every 2 weeks.  

This kids pretty well spoken and has a good camera presence. But you almost have to believe the conspiracy theory that he was brought in and kept around because of his social media presence. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

ZdBG9ub.jpg

Old people unite!

In all seriousness the written word is a beautiful thing, when done properly. (see ed tait) But  the world of print/type is mostly inundated with poorly written junk. The real nail in the coffin of print media isn't any thing electronic, its the dying out of the great beat writers. 

5 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Literally just did the same.   A kicker?  I'm out.

I didnt even make it that far. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

In all seriousness the written word is a beautiful thing, when done properly. (see ed tait) But  the world of print/type is mostly inundated with poorly written junk. The real nail in the coffin of print media isn't any thing electronic, its the dying out of the great beat writers. 

Yep.  I should have added that depending on who writes the article also matters a great deal.  I'm very thankful that Tait still writes pieces on the club... being stuck with the likes of Friesen or Wiecek would be awful.

lack of attention span with each successive generation is a problem. Long form writing went by the wayside so long ago as the Twitter generation wanted 140 characters or less before they get bored. Now it's shiny objects (pics/vids) or nothin'.....******' kids.....