2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

47 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

We have the leagues view. We have the players view. I suppose it’s unnecessary to contact the official for his view. 

I believe the league asks for the players side of the story before levying a fine so it's strange that they would follow through as it does not look like intentional contact. 

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

34 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

That could be, was he even penalized though? 

The team was penalized 10 yards for objectionable conduct. 

Rule 7 - Fouls and penalties, section 4 - objectionable conduct, g. Unnecessary physical contact with an official. 

https://cfldb.ca/rulebook/fouls-and-penalties/objectionable-conduct/

no mention of fines. 

Objectionable Conduct Physical Abuse can bring a disqualification as a game penalty. No charge of abuse in this case and addresses the question offered by Geeber. 

https://www.cfl.ca/game-rule-penalties/

Id see the CFLPA challenging  the discipline as “overkill”. 

Is the league, CFL, emboldened because of having the understandable and significant arbitration win over the Lawrence discipline? 

Edited by Rod Black

18 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I believe the league asks for the players side of the story before levying a fine so it's strange that they would follow through as it does not look like intentional contact. 

That would be a best practise and wise thing to do. 

8 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

He's not coming back to Winnipeg. Barring road games for the Lions, anyway.

I didn't say he was. I was saying I hope he would if the chance came up. I hope he realizes the mistake he's made and how much better of a player Hardrick and Byrant made him. The fans are ready to write him off in BC but he was a great player for the Bombers with the right support on the line beside him and it would be nice to get him back if the right circumstances somehow presented themselves

I don't ever expect they will but in my opinion it would be positive if they did. 

9 minutes ago, Firekid said:

I didn't say he was. I was saying I hope he would if the chance came up. I hope he realizes the mistake he's made and how much better of a player Hardrick and Byrant made him. The fans are ready to write him off in BC but he was a great player for the Bombers with the right support on the line beside him and it would be nice to get him back if the right circumstances somehow presented themselves

I don't ever expect they will but in my opinion it would be positive if they did. 

He's a nasty piece of work. I doubt many D linemen enjoy going up against him. 

32 minutes ago, Firekid said:

Fair enough. I wish he would've stayed there, too. He was a key asset to the O-line and I liked his game, his hardnosed nastiness in particular. It was disappointing to see him go.

I just don't see a scenario in which he ever leaves the Lions. He got a hefty raise and is back in his hometown. IIRC, he signed with the Lions for three years.

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I just don't see a scenario in which he ever leaves the Lions.

I agree. We can only hope they lose all faith and release him and that he will accept lower money to come back to the Bombers. It happened with Bond but Bond isn't CDN so it wasn't priority to get him back.

PS - I don't really know the contract rules well enough to know if this could even happen. 

I've noticed that on 1290 they have not mentioned at all about Montreal and cheating the cap or any of the controversies about the Als.    It's really bizarre because both in the morning and afternoon they keep acting aloof and surprised that Kavis Reed was fired after winning two games despite a tonne of rumours about what he did.  

Only today when Chris Walby was on in the afternoon did he bring it up and they had zero things to say about that.  

Weekend Wrap Up

-They’re going to have to look up Red Zone stats over a 5 game period because I think the Bombers are killing it..

-A consequence of that is Medlock’s FG production is way down.. 😳

-One way to stop Lewis Ward’s consecutive FG streak is to not let his team get into scoring position. That what the Bombers did.

-The split screen experiment on TSN should be shelved..it isn’t popular at all.

-Credit C. Hughes for his efforts. Discredit Foucault for letting him succeed so easily.

-Know when to sit down. Mike Reilly gets no brownie points from me for: “"We win together, we lose together, we finish the game together even if it's out of reach." 

-Vanstone - “The Saskatchewan Roughriders silenced the critics and skeptics, at least temporarily, with Saturday's 38-25 home-field win over B.C”

Ah, no they didn’t Rob, no they didn’t.

-Toronto plays Edmonton in week 7, host Winnipeg in week 8, then have a bye in week 8. Is that a bye, as in goodbye to their Head Coach?

-No Petersen, just no. “The plus, for the Riders, is that they overcame some bad calls and still won. That’s the sign of a good, maybe even great, team.”

Now, on to next week...

1 minute ago, Mr Dee said:

Weekend Wrap Up

-They’re going to have to look up Red Zone stats over a 5 game period because I think the Bombers are killing it..

-A consequence of that is Medlock’s FG production is way down.. 😳

-One way to stop Lewis Ward’s consecutive FG streak is to not let his team get into scoring position. That what the Bombers did.

-The split screen experiment on TSN should be shelved..it isn’t popular at all.

-Credit C. Hughes for his efforts. Discredit Foucault for letting him succeed so easily.

-Know when to sit down. Mike Reilly gets no brownie points from me for: “"We win together, we lose together, we finish the game together even if it's out of reach." 

-Vanstone - “The Saskatchewan Roughriders silenced the critics and skeptics, at least temporarily, with Saturday's 38-25 home-field win over B.C”

Ah, no they didn’t Rob, no they didn’t.

-Toronto plays Edmonton in week 7, host Winnipeg in week 8, then have a bye in week 8. Is that a bye, as in goodbye to their Head Coach?

-No Petersen, just no. “The plus, for the Riders, is that they overcame some bad calls and still won. That’s the sign of a good, maybe even great, team.”

Now, on to next week...

Love the Sask quotes... ha