Help us Chris Streveler, You're our Only Hope

Atomic

10 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The FB position is basically unoccupied, is the plan to insert Augustine in this position or is there a better use for it?

We will probably just use WRs to chip in the few packages that include a FB and not a 2nd hb. In goal line type stuff we could fill in one of the Lbers etc. No one we have really fills the shoes of a FB but we could get creative with say corney. Its a low usage spot imo. And one we made more use of because normand is a real good football player. 

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

We will probably just use WRs to chip in the few packages that include a FB and not a 2nd hb. In goal line type stuff we could fill in one of the Lbers etc. No one we have really fills the shoes of a FB but we could get creative with say corney. Its a low usage spot imo. And one we made more use of because normand is a real good football player. 

Sorry, I'm slow.  They already have 5 receivers on the field even when they used Flanders he was lined up as a SB, not as a second HB.  They rarely use a true FB and occasionally use that position as a TE by inserting someone like Couture for extra blocking.  How is the FB position used the majority of the time?  I hardly ever saw Normand on the field.

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Sorry, I'm slow.  They already have 5 receivers on the field even when they used Flanders he was lined up as a SB, not as a second HB.  They rarely use a true FB and occasionally use that position as a TE by inserting someone like Couture for extra blocking.  How is the FB position used the majority of the time?  I hardly ever saw Normand on the field.

Flanders mostly played a wing/flank spot. Came in for an imp wr. But he motioned and lined up inside of normal slot positions. 

We put normand in as an Hback going between TE and FB mostly on blocking and some block n release stuff. Tbh we didnt use either package a lot for offensive out put. Flanders was as much used as a threat as an actual weapon. Change of pace stuff. 

In a goal line/short yardage situation, where you would use a true FB/hback couture would already be on the field. As well as thomas. So last year we'd have two tight, and normand and harris. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Flanders mostly played a wing/flank spot. Came in for an imp wr. But he motioned and lined up inside of normal slot positions. 

We put normand in as an Hback going between TE and FB mostly on blocking and some block n release stuff. Tbh we didnt use either package a lot for offensive out put. Flanders was as much used as a threat as an actual weapon. Change of pace stuff. 

In a goal line/short yardage situation, where you would use a true FB/hback couture would already be on the field. As well as thomas. So last year we'd have two tight, and normand and harris. 

So I surmise Normand was on the field more than I thought but not often lined up in the typical FB position.  Thanks.

After the Pierce/Jyles era it felt like we brought in guys who could not run,  had weak arms,  passive decision making,  relied on feathering balls into receivers arms as long as they had top protection,  easily shellshocked....   it *appears* that Streveler does not have any of those issues which is exciting. 

I'm sure the guy will make lots of mistakes but if he can put the ball in the air and give the receiver the chance to fight for the ball then I'll be happy.   

I just don't want to see the guy getting scared and skipping the ball and holding on to long and getting sacked....

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

After the Pierce/Jyles era it felt like we brought in guys who could not run,  had weak arms,  passive decision making,  relied on feathering balls into receivers arms as long as they had top protection,  easily shellshocked....   it *appears* that Streveler does not have any of those issues which is exciting. 

I'm sure the guy will make lots of mistakes but if he can put the ball in the air and give the receiver the chance to fight for the ball then I'll be happy.   

I just don't want to see the guy getting scared and skipping the ball and holding on to long and getting sacked....

From what it sounds like, adversity makes him thrive.. not turtle.  now that's from high school and college days but having a history of stepping up as opposed to shrinking is definitely a good sign.  very guarded optimism from me but very hopeful that he showcases himself well when the big lights are on.

5 hours ago, Tracker said:

We don't want him to sacrifice himself as Dunigan was wont to do and get injured for an extra two yards.

agree, he has looked a bit like a kamikaze when he runs the ball .

Here's hoping he will slide instead of getting hit, and be able to know where the D guys are when he's carrying the ball.

He and we do not need an injury.

seems Paul LaPolice was the "scout" that found him. 

Actually all three of their quarterbacks have looked really athletic. 

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Pre mos et al i would agree. We tried a lot of vaunted college spread offense guys who relied on timing, ball placement and defensive miss matches to succeed. In the walters mos era I think our style has been athletic guys with strong arms. More physical attributes then experience. 

6 hours ago, Floyd said:

Want to see a few sets with Harris and Augustine in the backfield...

The choices at FB are:

1.  Miller, a pure blocker for run or passing plays

2. Augustine, for a choice of 3 runners to Keep the D guessing where we are running to and to keep them from keying on Harris....  QB option is in play a well as multiple choices for screens and hitches

3. A Canadian WR  for a 5 receiver set on any long yardage down

I don't know how well Miller blocks compared to Augutine

Edited by BigBlue

I know Augustine does fairly well and that's good enough.

Miller in on offence is pointless..no threat there to get ball..or do much with it if he did get it..so what's the point

With Augustine in there u have an actual threat to deal with along with Harris..and Demski or Dressleer coming out of backfield

41 minutes ago, Booch said:

I know Augustine does fairly well and that's good enough.

Miller in on offence is pointless..no threat there to get ball..or do much with it if he did get it..so what's the point

With Augustine in there u have an actual threat to deal with along with Harris..and Demski or Dressleer coming out of backfield

I wondered when I first saw the roster if they might dress 7 OL with  Foketi and run some double TE sets with both him and Couture, sit Bryant and Lankford.  Guess it depends how crazy they want to go with option stuff.

Jake Thomas has also played some tight end in the past.

19 minutes ago, johnzo said:

stoked for tomorrow!

I know very little about scouting QBs, but a thing I noticed in this video is that he's got kinda bouncy-castle footwork going on in the pocket. Is that a big deal for a QB?

His chop stepping, and bouncing is a result of a moving / shrinking pocket. Because he played out of a full shot gun, you dont take normal steps back as you do under center or in the pistol. It keeps his base together, under him and predictable. His foot speed and release is at a blinding level where he doesnt need to hold in one spot long before he goes from 0 to throw. He just needs to aim his shoulders/hips and fling it. 

Its a good response to pressure, read changing and pocket movement. It does telegraph when he is running to run and running to throw though. But qbs have such an advantage in running and he has such speed that he can still hit the holes even if the D knows he will run. 

Its an example of good athletic footwork out of a shotgun formation in a situation where you are facing regular pressure. Some of the times he starts out with good protection but seems to be waiting on wrs to get open. 

12 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I wondered when I first saw the roster if they might dress 7 OL with  Foketi and run some double TE sets with both him and Couture, sit Bryant and Lankford.  Guess it depends how crazy they want to go with option stuff.

Jake Thomas has also played some tight end in the past.

Ob was saying against bc the bombers intended to carry a 7th ol. I can see it if we carry an NI. It could be a contingency plan in case we arent able to beat edm pressure straight up to buy streveler time. 

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If he throws about 20 passes we have a good chance to win.  If he throws more that means we fell behind early and probably got blown out.

So you expect 35 runs then?  There are about 55 offensive plays in a CFL game by each team not including punts/kickoffs.  That's not realistic...having over 60% of your plays designed as runs.  30 passes is more realistic.

19 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The FB position is basically unoccupied, is the plan to insert Augustine in this position or is there a better use for it?

THey also said a few times that Demski is being groomed into the 2nd RB/Rec role we saw last year.

Edited by Engelwood