Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

40 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Not sure if he would or not.  2012 Chris Matthews would be great.  Who is 2018 Chris Matthews?  I don't know and neither do you or anyone else here.  Guess we will find out shortly.

And when's the last time he"s played in a real game situation not simulation? 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

What the hell are you doing that requires 80-90 hours a week of work...  nobody can sustain working like that for a career.  

If you decide to have kids you would either need a very understanding wife or a good divorce lawyer with a work schedule like that.

Train Conductor ... 80-90 hours does include my time spent resting away from home between trips, so not “working” by definition, but paid hours. 🙉

19 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

And when's the last time he"s played in a real game situation not simulation? 

He has played some special teams as recently as last season in the NFL and caught a handful of balls (16 receptions over 4 years in the NFL, but only 3 since 2015).

He could very well prove to be a great addition for the Stamps but he is also a guy who had a single great season five years ago and hasn't seen much action since.  Hard to know what they're getting.

10 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

To be fair it started with someone suggesting a draft pick could sign somewhere else...unless you're completely clueless...that's trolling.

Sometimes frustration just leads to a dumb comment.

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

I have no idea about your personal life...  but for myself after having two young children the amount of free time I have at night is completely non existent.   Unfortunately I am guilty of only watching the games on PVR if we win or if it's competitive...  I don't like burning my 3 hours of free time per week on watching the team getting creamed.

I do think we are close to being able to win a cup...  just a few small tweaks would make a world of difference for the club.  I'm a bit sad that Strelever didn't get the full season to grow and learn because long term I think he's the real deal. 

I do the same as you.  Unless it's a west coast game I have to pvr it lest I incur the wrath of my family lol.  And if it's a loss it gets deleted without being watched.  I see no reason to put myself in a bad mood over a football game.  Wait a day or two then come here and get the lowlights when I can laugh about it.  And if it's a win I can savour the game, skip all the commercials and hit mute if Rod Black's doing play by play. 

11 hours ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

I do the same as you.  Unless it's a west coast game I have to pvr it lest I incur the wrath of my family lol.  And if it's a loss it gets deleted without being watched.  I see no reason to put myself in a bad mood over a football game. 

I guess there's no point to actually going to a live game then...they might actually lose...🙃

I agree with a lot of people here... but I find it impossible to just "stop" being emotionally invested in a team... I go into watching some games thinking I don't really care... but as soon as the game gets close or any sort of adversity... I find myself very much right back into it... 

I was at a wedding last Saturday night and I pvr'd the Bombers/Esks game... luckily I was able to avoid the score and I watched the game sunday morning... I started thinking "we'll probably lose so I'm not that concerned"... the 4th quarter I was pacing, nervous and sweating despite having a 20 something point lead... If you're truly emotionally invested in a team, it doesn't just "go away"... and if it does, then you were never invested in the first place....

I've been a St Louis/LA Rams fan since the Kurt Warner days... and I watch the games and cheer for them... but I don't feel the same level of emotion... if they lose, they lose (I guess it helps that they're good right now and that level of emotion will ratchet up a bit come playoffs)... I don't absolutely despise the Hawks, Cards, and 49ers the way I do the Rider and Als (or whoever is playing the Bombers that week)... that level of emotional investment can only come with a lifetime of attending games and cheering for the same team...

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

I agree with a lot of people here... but I find it impossible to just "stop" being emotionally invested in a team... I go into watching some games thinking I don't really care... but as soon as the game gets close or any sort of adversity... I find myself very much right back into it... 

I was at a wedding last Saturday night and I pvr'd the Bombers/Esks game... luckily I was able to avoid the score and I watched the game sunday morning... I started thinking "we'll probably lose so I'm not that concerned"... the 4th quarter I was pacing, nervous and sweating despite having a 20 something point lead... If you're truly emotionally invested in a team, it doesn't just "go away"... and if it does, then you were never invested in the first place....

I've been a St Louis/LA Rams fan since the Kurt Warner days... and I watch the games and cheer for them... but I don't feel the same level of emotion... if they lose, they lose (I guess it helps that they're good right now and that level of emotion will ratchet up a bit come playoffs)... I don't absolutely despise the Hawks, Cards, and 49ers the way I do the Rider and Als (or whoever is playing the Bombers that week)... that level of emotional investment can only come with a lifetime of attending games and cheering for the same team...

This is 1)Opinion and not in any way based on evidence or fact. And 2) a shitty thing to say.

7 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

This is 1)Opinion and not in any way based on evidence or fact. And 2) a shitty thing to say.

No.. that's pretty much proven by diehard fans who dont turn off the love for their teams when it becomes inconvenient or difficult.  

And the truth hurts, doesnt it.

On 2018-10-03 at 10:02 AM, blueingreenland said:

I guess there's no point to actually going to a live game then...they might actually lose...🙃

I goto as many of those as I can. If I'm dropping cash on tix and gas money then whatever happens happens. I've watched them lose plenty over the years. I think I've earned the right to delete a loser pvred game every now and then. 🙃

On 2018-10-03 at 8:24 PM, SPuDS said:

No.. that's pretty much proven by diehard fans who dont turn off the love for their teams when it becomes inconvenient or difficult.  

And the truth hurts, doesnt it.

Highlighted the key word.  By definition, a diehard fan does not waver in their support for the team.

die·hard
ˈdīˌhärd/
noun

1. a person who strongly opposes change or who continues to support something in spite of opposition.

On 2018-10-03 at 1:11 PM, Bigblue204 said:

1) when has emotion ever been based on facts or evidence??

2) if you say you don't care about the team, then you probably never really did care... that's not a "shitty thing to say"... I'm not saying anyone is a "bad fan"... I'm saying emotional attachment doesn't just go away... I've felt indifference and frustration with this team many, many, times... but when it comes to game time...I still find my emotions racing no matter what game it is...

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

1) when has emotion ever been based on facts or evidence??

2) if you say you don't care about the team, then you probably never really did care... that's not a "shitty thing to say"... I'm not saying anyone is a "bad fan"... I'm saying emotional attachment doesn't just go away... I've felt indifference and frustration with this team many, many, times... but when it comes to game time...I still find my emotions racing no matter what game it is...

A lot easier to do if you're working 9-5 with weekends off but that's not always the case, some careers demand more and you have to cut out all extraneous activities in order to succeed.  Kind of like becoming a football player.  😀

32 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

A lot easier to do if you're working 9-5 with weekends off but that's not always the case, some careers demand more and you have to cut out all extraneous activities in order to succeed.  Kind of like becoming a football player.  😀

But that's not even remotely close to the point I'm making... I didn't say, if you don't watch the games live, you're not a fan... I appreciate that life gets in the way.. I've missed three homes games this year and probably haven't missed three games in the last 5 years combined...

What I am saying is when you do watch the game... if you are truly emotionally invested in a team... you will feel everything cheering for your team... no matter the circumstances...