Bomber Moves 2018

BigBlue

11 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Andrew Harris is animpact player. Mumba hasn’t  been since he returned from the nfl. If he was that good, he wouldn’t be released every year. 

He is good, but not good enough for what teams sign him for...200 grand for an impact canadian in this league is do-able, 250,000 is not IMO. We were willing to offer Westerman 200, but that was before we signed some of the other guys. I'd imagine the Bombers offered around 200. Montreal can probably offer more.

1 hour ago, B-F-F-C said:

Andrew Harris is animpact player. Mumba hasn’t  been since he returned from the nfl. If he was that good, he wouldn’t be released every year. 

Andrew Harris is a special situation.  He's playing with a hometown discount plus he's got an offensive co-ordinator who really knows how to use his skills and a qb who's on the same page. Muamba is a solid middle linebacker and would make a two-fold impact on the team. He would solidify our weakest area on D with quality play and also give us much needed non-import breathing room on the roster. Overall..  Muamba would definitely provide an impact.

1 hour ago, B-F-F-C said:

He was released to pursue NFL options twice. He was only straight-up released by the Riders recently when they spent like drunken sailors and he wouldn't agree to renegotiate his deal.

I would say that Muamba was quite impactful the second half of last season.

25 minutes ago, JCon said:

He was released to pursue NFL options twice. He was only straight-up released by the Riders recently when they spent like drunken sailors and he wouldn't agree to renegotiate his deal.

And Montreal.

There seems to be an idea out there that it is the agent's and player's responsibility to supervise GM's to make sure they are spending prudently.  The NHL GM's now lock the players out once every decade as a variation of this logic, that GM's need to be protected from their own idiocy.  Except in football, no guaranteed contracts, so they can just release their poor spending decisions.

Muamba has the same value as any other elite veteran NI starter in the CFL.  The price on those guys falls between $150,000 and $200,000.  If a GM loses his marbles and signs a bunch of guys all at the high end of this range, like Montreal did with Muamba and Martin and a few others, then they have to repair their mistake(s) at some point.

I don't know what the Bombers can afford based on their current commitments.  Henoc is worth around $175,000-$185,000 based on what the market seems to be these days.  If the Bombers can't afford that, maybe Muamba signs a 2 year deal where he sees a raise in year two, giving the Bombers time to make cap adjustments to their roster in the offseason.  Maybe Montreal can offer him more.  Maybe Montreal can't and they still do anyway.  I know even less about their cap situation, other than rumours are that they overpaid to get their FA's.

I trust that Walters won't offer Muamba more money than we can afford.  That's about the only part of this situation that is certain.

And also that it is not Henoc's job to prevent GM's from overspending on him.

Really pretty amazing to think that Hardaway got Muamba... $50k for four games with Montreal - possibly an off-season bonus like he had with the Riders... so maybe $73k...  then he would have had $100k+ guaranteed before training camp even begins...  released before his bonus meant that he had another spring to try out for NFL

Basically the Bombers can sign him for $190k this year because he'll still make $225k thanks to the Riders

Hopefully Muamba's NFL dreams are officially dead - I think two years at $190k this year and maybe 220k next is a pretty fair deal

3 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

Dont agree on muamba. The guy is a tackling, scraping to the ball machine who is great at ripping lose the ball.  I would also expect his best football is infront of him. 

11 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Henoc would not only improve our MLB spot and thus our defense but also improve our roster flexibility (ie 4 I Receivers for example).

Also our special teams, and leadership. I mean a different type of leader. A guy to get the D jacked up. Randle and mo are guys who lead, but in a different way. 

53 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Henoc would not only improve our MLB spot and thus our defense but also improve our roster flexibility (ie 4 I Receivers for example).

In an 18 game season losing NI starters to injury will happen.  I'd have 10 starter-calibre NI's on the roster if we could afford to.

Last year we lost Westerman and thought we could probably get by.  Then two games later LeFevour throws a death-pass to Harris and we're thinking we're screwed.

Signing Muamba might be the reason we don't have to start Brendan Morgan* in week 15.  Yeah, that's an unlikely example.  Point is when talented NI's get injured you still have to put NI's out on the field, so you have no choice but to use less talented ones.  Let's do everything we can to not resort to bottom-feeding off our own roster.

*No disrespect intended Mr. and Mrs. Morgan, just picking a player that most here won't assume is potential starter this year.  I'm sure your son will prove us wrong come training camp.

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

I don't understand how visiting two teams is being called a 'roadshow'...

Because this is just a tease- Muamba knows what the facilities are like in both Winnipeg and Montreal.  He and his agent are batting their eyelashes at the suitors (no relation to Glen) and trying to wring the best possible offer out of both. Needless drama, in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Whatever, I'd take him for 225k. He's a stud mlb and qould be awesome for our locker room.

Iirc hurls deal was 80k wasnt it?  2.5x (ish) more money for 10x more player.

The last two years we have given up soo many back breaking runs. 2nd and long, teams backed into corners where they cant pass (bc) and we've just gotten rolled over by the run. Henoc changes and compensates for a whole lot of that. Instead of trying to hide our MLBer, we can have one that covers up issues, fills gaps, and makes the hard 1 on 1 tackles. 

Should we all pass around a hat and see if we can come up with the money from bomber fans in the city? LOL 

52 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Whatever, I'd take him for 225k. He's a stud mlb and qould be awesome for our locker room.

The problem with offering him that kind of  $ is that we would then have to cut elsewhere.

And if Harris makes significantly less, what does that say to him? 

Just asking the kinds of questions I'm sure Walters grapples with.

3 hours ago, JCon said:

He was released to go back the NFL. He ended up with Dallas. 

He was cut because he was due $60k right after free agency iirc

maybe hardaway isn’t so dumb after all... his client has all the time in the world 

1 hour ago, tracker said:

Because this is just a tease- Muamba knows what the facilities are like in both Winnipeg and Montreal.  He and his agent are batting their eyelashes at the suitors (no relation to Glen) and trying to wring the best possible offer out of both. Needless drama, in my opinion.

Maybe meeting with the respective PTB of each team so he could determine where he thinks the best fit is for him was a bigger part of his visits than seeing the facilities. 

16 hours ago, JCon said:

He was due a bonus prior to being released by the Alouettes in Feb. 2016: http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/alouettes-cut-ties-with-middle-linebacker-henoc-muamba

The Alouettes have released non-import middle-linebacker Henoc Muamba rather than pay him a $60,000 bonus that was due Tuesday at 12:01 a.m.

“His salary structure doesn’t fit into our pay scale at this time — especially after retaining some of our potential free agents,” Popp said. “We tried to restructure the deal, but could not come to terms before the deadline.”

The Als had been attempting to trade Muamba, but Canadian Football League teams were reluctant to pay the bonus on top of his $230,000 salary in 2016. Muamba was due another $23,000 bonus in April and $23,000 more when he reported for training camp and passed his physical.

Back then, however, the NFL window was still open:

Hardaway is expected to troll the NFL waters again to gauge interest in his client. San Francisco and the New York Jets already have expressed a desire to work him out.

He eventually signed with the Dallas Cowboys but that wasn't until the end of July 2016: https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/canadian-linebacker-henoc-muamba-signs-nfl-deal-cowboys/

The NFL is no longer an option for Muamba this time around.

17 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

It would have to be a pretty crazy salary for it to blow up the nucleus of the team.

Exactly. So as far as I'm concerned pay him whatever the **** you have to to solidify that MLB spot (with a national no less) and have JSK and Wild/rookie rotate in.