Game day thread: Winnipeg at snowy Calgary

BigBlue

Since Michael O'Shea has arrived here we have relentlessly heard preached the crucial elements of character, heart and team loyalty. Tonight that's going to be put to the test -  - to see how character stacks up against talent.

The Bombers have a lot on the line, Calgary doesn't. One of the 2 teams will end on a three-game losing streak.

The snow by the way is just another wildcard, not an advantage card.

Let's see who wants it more  (which is another way of saying how much does heart and character really count for anyway). 

Yeah I have...tho thankfully this isn't astro turf as that stuff froze basically up as a sheet of hard pack, or ice...so cleats were basically useless. This field turf now is like real grass...probably better because it wont freeze rock hard like grass, so your usual cleat should be just fine.

Back in the astro turf days broomball shoes...especially for line man was a preferred choice..or those old style astro turf rubber bottom cleats which had the whole bottom covered in small black nub like cleats...if you can recal those

Unreal....I can only imagine. I still have nightmares of the Esks routing the Bombers at Commonwealth in 96 which was almost entirely because of footwear on that God awful natural grass. I'll never get over that.

Interesting that the new stuff is really good for holding up in "conditions"....hopefully that evens things up for everyone today.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Yeah I have...tho thankfully this isn't astro turf as that stuff froze basically up as a sheet of hard pack, or ice...so cleats were basically useless. This field turf now is like real grass...probably better because it wont freeze rock hard like grass, so your usual cleat should be just fine.

Back in the astro turf days broomball shoes...especially for line man was a preferred choice..or those old style astro turf rubber bottom cleats which had the whole bottom covered in small black nub like cleats...if you can recal those

How did it change your technique? How did you brace yourself?

Also, what about those rookies from way down south? How did they handle it? And what questions did they ask?

Sorry for all the questions!

When it snows or even if it rains quite a bit this generation of turf can fill with the moisture.  It’s not like real grass because there isn’t anything under it to absorb moisture naturally.  There’s nothing for cleats to grab into once the space between the fibres is packed with moisture.

They’ll be wearing 3/4 or one inch cleats if there’s a light layer of snow.  If it’s packed they’ll probably be wearing their shortest cleats because there won’t be anything to grab into.  Assuming the grounds crew will be working on clearing the field basically until warmup and then afterwards until the game starts the only accumulation should be during play.

Many of the NFL fields are heated in the northern cities but not in Canada!  Best to move fast in straight lines in these types of conditions.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

On defense you just have to be more sure of self and not get caught biting on any moves...play off a bit more...The offensive guy knows where he is headed, so on defense you need to stay in control and you won't see many big hits...this is in extreme crap conditions by the way. In the trenches a lot of times you don't even notice it in the snow...u just are more wet.

Ice fields tho..basically it's just do what you can, and hope for the best.

Played with a lot of guys who had never seen snow...let alone played in it, and most enjoyed it...the only giys who really struggled or complained were the back-ups and specialty guys who were just standing around for the most part...when you are playing you dont really notice it until it's a windy sub -15-20 degree game...then it hurts like a mofo

Keep in mind it only just started snowing 2 days ago. Until then we had nice weather. There's a bit of wind but not much.

Snow is light. We haven't had as much as they warned (they were talking 25cms). It's not heavy. Assuming they are keeping the field reasonably clean it shouldn't be so bad.

Nothing like where it's been snowing for weeks. 

1 minute ago, Mark F said:

Need an extra O lineman, and a fullback to make running game more effective. Let the fullback bang on Singleton, make room for Harris.

No trick plays.

just Ground and Pound.

I think Ground and Pound is what Calgary will do with their 240 lb back. Sam Hurl will have cleat marks up and down his font getting in the way of Messam - who by the way he will not stand a ghost of a chance of stopping. Gave my seats away as I am heading out to see Jersey Boys instead.

3 minutes ago, BBRT said:

I think Ground and Pound is what Calgary will do with their 240 lb back. Sam Hurl will have cleat marks up and down his font getting in the way of Messam - who by the way he will not stand a ghost of a chance of stopping. Gave my seats away as I am heading out to see Jersey Boys instead.

Based on some other teams playing Calgary, Messam goes down  pretty easily  if  tackled  low, don't bother with arm tackles shoulder tackles, flying tackles.

unpopular to say, but Duron Carter took him down easily that way.

Edited by Mark F

8 minutes ago, BBRT said:

No, Hurl will be filling a different gap