Week 20: Bombers @ Stamps "Week Of" Thread

Noeller

4 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

What I don't get is that all the reasons they gave for Lefevour starting were all true before the season even started. He obviously had more experience. If that was the criteria then why even bother defending Davis as the backup in training camp...

Sometimes players don't progress the way you think they would. Davis had opportunity to cement his 2nd string status in the past few weeks and crapped the bed. Simple as that.

2 hours ago, Captain Blue said:

What I don't get is that all the reasons they gave for Lefevour starting were all true before the season even started. He obviously had more experience. If that was the criteria then why even bother defending Davis as the backup in training camp...

What baffles me is that whatever Davis showed in training camp and throughout the season suddenly evaporated in two part-game appearances. How could the Bomber brain-trust be so far off for such a long time and how could it change so abruptly?

Edited by tracker

5 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Sometimes players don't progress the way you think they would. Davis had opportunity to cement his 2nd string status in the past few weeks and crapped the bed. Simple as that.

And The Fever won the job with his play?  That logic doesn't add up.

If they want to go with experience, so be it.  But LeFevour didn't do anything to 'earn' the start.

I think some of your imaginations are running away with you.  It's been a 2A and 2B situation all season.  Nobody from the Bombers ever took a stand on Davis being the undisputed backup.  But you gotta put someone higher on the depth chart.

The fact of the matter is that Davis and LeFevour were probably separated by the thinnest of margins, and the coaches weren't happy with how Davis performed when he got the chance, so they go to LeFevour to see if he can do better.  There is no big conspiracy here.

I certainly wasn't happy how Davis performed last week, but then again, I wasn't happy how LeFevour performed either. In fact, I think that Davis out performed LeFevour.

I'm guessing that the 'film' showed that LeFevour was making the right decisions with poor execution and Davis wasn't even making the right decisions. Can't fix the decision making process in 2 practices, so you go with the hope that LeFevour can execute better this week. 

50 minutes ago, tracker said:

What baffles me is that whatever Davis showed in training camp and throughout the season suddenly evaporated in two part-game appearances. How could the Bomber brain-trust be so far off for such a long time and how could it change so abruptly?

Easy...there are practice player and game players...some are both...some are not

22 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I certainly wasn't happy how Davis performed last week, but then again, I wasn't happy how LeFevour performed either. In fact, I think that Davis out performed LeFevour.

I'm guessing that the 'film' showed that LeFevour was making the right decisions with poor execution and Davis wasn't even making the right decisions. Can't fix the decision making process in 2 practices, so you go with the hope that LeFevour can execute better this week. 

In what world is throwing against your body right into the middle of 3 defenders with no receiver anywhere close by a correct decision? I'd rather indecision than bad decisions. This just stinks of the coaches trying to over think things. Perfect opportunity to actually see if Davis is worth keeping onto, if he goes out and sucks this week then you can always make Lefevour the #2 for the playoffs and you know more about Davis and his future with the club. 

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

I think some of your imaginations are running away with you.  It's been a 2A and 2B situation all season.  Nobody from the Bombers ever took a stand on Davis being the undisputed backup.  But you gotta put someone higher on the depth chart.

Yeah, they definitely did. O'Shea said it on the coach's show.  Paraphrasing alert: "if Nichols were to ever go down, we'd be starting Dom Davis without a doubt."  Either he didn't mean what he said, perhaps over-emphasized, or something has changed since then.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

There's nothing wrong with having a starting QB who rarely misses games.  And if he's always playing, it's tough to judge the "in game" ability of his backups.

It is my understanding that is what full contact practices are all about. If that is the case and the coaches saw Davis getting happy feet or agonizing over his reads, that should have set off alarms.

We can only hope that the field and weather conditions described for Friday’s game played a big part in the decision to start Dan L.

As O’Shea called it..a mudder game. Looks like light snow and cold. Is LeFevour the tonic to supply a win for those conditions? Or is Calgary starting Buckley the right medicine for what ails us?

39 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Yeah, they definitely did. O'Shea said it on the coach's show.  Paraphrasing alert: "if Nichols were to ever go down, we'd be starting Dom Davis without a doubt."  Either he didn't mean what he said, perhaps over-emphasized, or something has changed since then.

Could be that LaPo makes the QB call and O'Shea just listens.  I'm convinced that it was LaPo that pushed for Nichols over Willy.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Never happened.

1 hour ago, tracker said:

It is my understanding that is what full contact practices are all about. If that is the case and the coaches saw Davis getting happy feet or agonizing over his reads, that should have set off alarms.

What full contact practices?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/cfl-player-safety-eliminate-contact-increase-schedule-1.4288079

CFL players can look forward to the elimination of padded practices during the regular season and the addition of more time for rest and recovery.

The CFL and CFL Players' Association announced Wednesday that effective immediately, full-contact padded practices will be discontinued during the regular season. And next year, teams will get an extra bye week to help reduce the risk of player injury.

The frequency of these were severely reduced prior to this.  Just recently they were taken away completely.