Week 20: Bombers @ Stamps "Week Of" Thread

Noeller

18 minutes ago, MC said:

They pulled Davis because he could not get rid of the ball.  He took sacks because of indecision.  At the time, putting the veteran backup in appeared to be a good decision.

6 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Davis is the kind of guy who would get sacked if he was the 2nd last man on earth.

My fave from the last game was he somehow thought the best play was to run into the back of the Olineman holding the BC player.

Watching the game live, I rarely saw open receivers. They just seemed inept out there.

Not to say Davis didn't hold the ball too long, a rookie mistake, but the receivers were not helping him whatsoever.

13 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

I'm not sure if high football IQ is something I would associate with run across the field and throw it across my body to the opposition Dan LeFevour. 

Kind of agree here.. He knows his limitations and that is arguably the hardest throw to make in CFL football.

@DarrinBauming
Reading between the lines here, I would bet Dan LeFevour gets the start Friday in Calgary. #Bombers

Andrew Harris "ran around" today, and Timothy Flanders practiced, so that's another critical position on O still to be determined for Friday

Travis Bond did not practice today, and I would think he's doubtful for Friday. Pat Neufeld has filled-in extremely well at LG. #Bombers

Why on earth would they start the fever when he threw two of the worst ints I have seen... it's the complete antithesis of the offense Lapo runs here. Low risk avoid turn overs at all costs. Davis turtling and eating the sack makes more sense in that offense than Lefevour using his noodle arm to throw right to the other team. 

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Davis is the kind of guy who would get sacked if he was the 2nd last man on earth.

My fave from the last game was he somehow thought the best play was to run into the back of the Olineman holding the BC player.

Having said that he's got better arm IMHO then LeFevour though LeF is smarter.

The evidence for either conclusion is sadly lacking, alas.

24 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Why on earth would they start the fever when he threw two of the worst ints I have seen... it's the complete antithesis of the offense Lapo runs here. Low risk avoid turn overs at all costs. Davis turtling and eating the sack makes more sense in that offense than Lefevour using his noodle arm to throw right to the other team. 

Totally agree.  And don't forget the hospital balls he chucked up to Harris.

I would start Davis, and it's not even close.

1 hour ago, MC said:

They pulled Davis because he could not get rid of the ball.  He took sacks because of indecision.  At the time, putting the veteran backup in appeared to be a good decision.

Knowing now that LeFevour was going to be worse , it is easy to second guess.  LeFevour can be good or bad.  He took over a game plan that was not suited for his skill set and he wasn't able to adjust.

See, I'm not sold that those sacks were because of his indecision. He had no problem getting the ball out of previous drives. He is certainly slower getting the ball out than Nichols, be it going through reads or with his release, but attributing those sacks to indecision automatically is like saying Nichols' sacks come from indecision. I don't buy it.

40 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Start LeFevour and give LaPo the day off, it might get ugly but Dan will do better on his own.

Starting LeFevour would be absolutely asinine.

He has no arm strength, continually makes poor decisions in the pass game (well documented in previous stops too) and is prone to turnovers. Its the opposite of how the Bombers want their QB to play. Sure Davis took some sacks (against a few blitzes, I might add) but he easily looked better than LeFevour. 

Davis or LeFevour may not change the outcome of the game Friday night, but it certainly makes me concerned they're so willing to by-pass Davis after one game. 

1 hour ago, MC said:

Knowing now that LeFevour was going to be worse , it is easy to second guess.  LeFevour can be good or bad.  He took over a game plan that was not suited for his skill set and he wasn't able to adjust.

Amongst my many disappointments with the game was the ridiculous decisions to keep DD in the pocket when he clearly has the legs to roll out and run if needed. Really surprised they didn't adjust the offence to suit his style.

1 minute ago, ddanger said:

Davis has been here for a couple of years, and I think 6 total in the league. It's time he proves one way or another that he's worth the $$. Honestly I can see the Bombers letting both LeFevour and Davis go in the off-season if they can't get something going this weekend.

Using this game vs Calgary as any kind of litmus test is completely ridiculous....

2 minutes ago, ddanger said:

Why ??

Because starters on both sides of the ball for both teams will be sitting.......it's a glorified pre-season game. Yeah, there's technically something on the line, but it really means very little. That, combined with the weather factor, means you can't use this game to judge anything.

4 minutes ago, ddanger said:

Davis has been here for a couple of years, and I think 6 total in the league. It's time he proves one way or another that he's worth the $$. Honestly I can see the Bombers letting both LeFevour and Davis go in the off-season if they can't get something going this weekend.

Cut that number in half and you're correct. He signed with the Stampeders in Feb. 2015, was released in June during TC, and then picked up by the Bombers at the end of that month.

I don’t think it’s ridiculous either. 

We should start Davis.

All year, and last, we were waiting for the opportunity to play Davis...to see what he can provide. There is no better chance than now. Is he worth keeping? Why would we keep Davis as a backup when we don’t trust him to play?

We need that information. Our history of not finding that backup QB, who can step in, is checkered at best. But now is not the time to play checkers. Think ahead. Plan accordingly. 

Davis has been around long enough. Play him.

11 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Cut that number in half and you're correct. He signed with the Stampeders in Feb. 2015, was released in June during TC, and then picked up by the Bombers at the end of that month.

Thanks somehow I thought he'd been in the league longer.

Regardless of whether or not a bunch of backups play, this is a game that can very well determine the fate of both DD and Fever. We're trying to win this game I assume, and get second place. If the offence can't move the ball against back up players, then they will have to answer for that.

I know we let a PR QB go a week or so, but we've signed him to a "futures" contract for next year. Maybe we have something there.

A friend of mine works at the arena, and Harris was there on Sunday night watching the Jets Philly game. If he can watch a hockey game his head is fine.  Watching the puck and the players will tell you right away about the status of your head and whether you have a concussion or not.  But like Westwood said on the Big Show this morning, I too will say a little prayer for #33 if he takes the field in Calgary. Get him to his 1000 and get him out.