Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Getting injured was about the best thing he did for us all year.

One sack in 5 games is not good. At all. That's not good for somebody like Shayon Green, nevermind a guy we're paying 140k a year to.

PS - as for Okpalaugo's QB pressures, you can't really see how many he has because CFL has awful statistics but what you can see is that he couldn't possibly have more than 3 otherwise he'd be on the published list of leaders that CFL puts out. So that puts him at 1 sack and no more than 3 pressures in 5 games, which prorates out over a full season to less than what Jeffcoat has already in half a season. 

That begs the question: can he be traded or would releasing him outright be the only realistic option?

No doubt Jeffcoat is the keeper.

Edited by blue_gold_84

12 hours ago, Goalie said:

We had a pretty good Dline when Okp was injured.. 

Jeffcoat Nevis Poop Westerman. Corny. Thomas rotating. 

Okp came back and the D line has got less pressure now cuz its Nevis or Poop who are both monsters sitting so Okp can play. Trade or cut the guy and get back to what WAS working. 

Okp traded? Hmm maybe but.. His value is pretty low.. Wouldnt get much back.. I could see TO or Hamilton for him but for what? Not much. 

Nevis has not lived up to billing imo, he looked like a beast with the Ticats but it could be playing with Laurent made him look more dangerous than he actually is.  He's doing well blocking up the running lanes but penetration in the two Rider games was as different as night and day with the advantage going to Poop.   Hopefully Ekakitie picks up the game quickly so that they can maintain a rotation while shedding some salary next season.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Nevis has not lived up to billing imo, he looked like a beast with the Ticats but it could be playing with Laurent made him look more dangerous than he actually is.  He's doing well blocking up the running lanes but penetration in the two Rider games was as different as night and day with the advantage going to Poop.   Hopefully Ekakite picks up the game quickly so that they can maintain a rotation while shedding some salary next season.

Nevis is only under contract this year anyways. He'd be an easy bet for a guy we could shed the salary of next year by not bringing him back.

Going to be necessary now, since we need to sign Westerman and Dressler hypothetically ... Westerman, especially. Among others. I feel like Flanders, Bond, Hardrick, Chungh and Heath will all need new deals too. 

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Nevis is only under contract this year anyways. He'd be an easy bet for a guy we could shed the salary of next year by not bringing him back.

Going to be necessary now, since we need to sign Westerman and Dressler hypothetically ... Westerman, especially. Among others. I feel like Flanders, Bond, Hardrick, Chungh and Heath will all need new deals too. 

Chungh signed through 2018. Bond i think is NFL bound. 

The rest for sure. 

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Riders with some good adds in Knox Jr, Foster and Thigpen. How much $ do they have?

Knox and foster are good adds,  Thigpen is a shot in the dark in hopes a guy who's been out of football for a few years still has something left in the tank at 31.  It's tough to say what shape their sms is in because they are basically doing what they did last year and bring in over a hundred guys and cycle through them all. I assume however gu7ys coming back from the NFL like Knox and Foster are making more then the scrap heaps they are replacing (AJ Jefferson) and other guys likely making league minimum (Ratelle, Royce LaFrance..etc) I guess that's the luxury of paying your starting QB 250K but i think all the dimes and nickles are adding up and wouldn't be surprised if the riders are over this year - but probably under 100K which is a slap on the wrist I'm sure Jones could give 2 flying F's about

40 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Riders with some good adds in Knox Jr, Foster and Thigpen. How much $ do they have?

No kidding. Where does Jonestown have the SMS space?

My guess is Owens is done for the season, if not altogether. Why else would they sign Thigpen?

Edited by blue_gold_84

Nice O'Shea career summary and  brief interview in which he uses the phrase "pretty neat" several times. :1311_thumbsup_tone2:

have not heard that one since junior high school long long ago. It was really keen to see it again, still being used.... by one person.

I will make a bold guess that O''Shea has a very solid sense of who he is and what he's doing.

I was an O'Shea skeptic, but sure looks like I had it wrong.

http://3downnation.com/2017/09/12/former-lb-mike-oshea-honoured-headed-canadian-football-hall-fame/

Edited by Mark F

1 minute ago, tracker said:

I'm cynical enough to believe that it wouldn't be a stretch to believe that Jones & Co. would deliberately exceed the cap in order to remain competitive. That would be consistent with Jones demonstrated attitude in the past.

with what he paid in fines last year,  and so far has kept his nose relatively clean this year,  it will just be viewed as a write off. TBH I don't see why more teams don't do it (while staying below the 100K over mark). The consequence is pretty minimal and if it's the difference between snagging a a big name NFL cut or FA in the offseason, why not.  when your pulling in millions a year in revenue it's a drop in the bucket

14 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I'm not so sure about that. He bounced around down there for three seasons and is going to be 27 in December. I have to wonder if that ship has sailed.

Now he'll have a season and a half of game film and pro experience. He really has nothing to lose but a few months of starting in the CFL. 

Also is there a new thread to talk about the Montreal firings?... I didn't see anything...

Wonder if Thorpe is looking for "advisory" role in some capacity... I don't know, maybe somewhere in and around Winnipeg...

EDIT: there is a thread... I missed it

Edited by bearpants

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Now he'll have a season and a half of game film and pro experience. He really has nothing to lose but a few months of starting in the CFL. 

True. That hinges on if any teams down south are interested. I guess I'm skeptical at this point in time. And to be honest, I'd hate to see him go.

In other news: http://www.tsn.ca/alouettes-fire-head-coach-chapdelaine-dc-thorpe-1.855094

The Montreal Alouettes have fired head coach Jacques Chapdelaine and defensive coordinator Noel Thorpe...

TSN Montreal 690's Rick Moffat reports the team held a players-only meeting on Monday. Moffat openly wondered in Alouettes offensive coordinator Anthony Calvillo would be named interim head coach.

Naylor reports former Toronto Agronauts defensive coordinator Rich Stubler has been around the team of late...

Crazy times. If anyone told me 5 years ago this organization would become such a mess, I'd have laughed.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

True. That hinges on if any teams down south are interested. I guess I'm skeptical at this point in time. And to be honest, I'd hate to see him go.

In other news: http://www.tsn.ca/alouettes-fire-head-coach-chapdelaine-dc-thorpe-1.855094

Crazy times. If anyone told me 5 years ago this organization would become such a mess, I'd have laughed.

Kavis Reed (and to an extent Mack) have some serious skills in the "hold my beer" department of tearing down a team around them lol.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

Popp didn't exactly leave much in the cupboards, but I agree. Reed appears to be in way over his head.

I thought he was in over his head as an HC.. now as a GM, hes just throwing crap at the wall and hoping something will stick..