Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

5 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I mean yes Walker is great. But their receiving core is already solid and the least of their worries. They need help on the o-line and on the defensive side of things. Walker won't come cheap. He'll likely be one of the higher/highest paid receivers in the league. If Edmonton really wants to roll the dice with their current o-line and defense then so be it.. Because I don't think Walker is enough to put them over the top and it doesn't do enough to hide their short comings. 

Dump Bowman & keep Walker.

If Walker returns to Edmonton, other names that have been bandied about are Eric Rogers and Chris Matthews. I'd be interested in anyone of those 3, preferably Walker, Matthews, Rogers in that order as Rogers ACL injury last year may or may not still be a thing (haven't heard much about him since).

that Bomber talk guy for 3dn says Bombers could take an interest in Jeff Knox jr (LB) but I think i'd be more focused on the secondary TBH.  Grymes or Otha Foster would be upgrades to Fogg at HB

25 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

If Walker returns to Edmonton, other names that have been bandied about are Eric Rogers and Chris Matthews. I'd be interested in anyone of those 3, preferably Walker, Matthews, Rogers in that order as Rogers ACL injury last year may or may not still be a thing (haven't heard much about him since).

that Bomber talk guy for 3dn says Bombers could take an interest in Jeff Knox jr (LB) but I think i'd be more focused on the secondary TBH.  Grymes or Otha Foster would be upgrades to Fogg at HB

I'd take a linbebacker upgrade in a heart beat, I think once everyone is healthy the secondary has less issues. I think the young guys Walker and Alexander have shown enough to give them more time, just need everyone healthy. Linebackers though need help. Knox is no Ian Wild and that position needs more production out of it. Just don't have the consistency there. 

I can't see the Bombers spending a pile on receivers at the moment. I just don't see them being willing to drop anyone now and giving another big ticket to a receiver. That money could be better spent somewhere else if you ask me. 

28 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Is Knox Jr. a MLB?

15 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Is Knox Jr. a MLB?

I think he could be if needed but I think primarily he is a WIL and would take over for Kyle Knox.  He's same height and about 10lbs lighter than singleton as a comparison, and bigger than Knox currently.  I think until Wild came back he would play as our WIL.  If a time came and we replaced Hurl, then we'd have to play thomas full time at DT imo

8 hours ago, pigseye said:

Wiki said we signed Bond in March of 2016?

Maybe wiki is wrong.

Yes but he came in and took a spot on the O line where he was sorely needed during the season. 

14 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I'd take a linbebacker upgrade in a heart beat, I think once everyone is healthy the secondary has less issues. I think the young guys Walker and Alexander have shown enough to give them more time, just need everyone healthy. Linebackers though need help. Knox is no Ian Wild and that position needs more production out of it. Just don't have the consistency there. 

I can't see the Bombers spending a pile on receivers at the moment. I just don't see them being willing to drop anyone now and giving another big ticket to a receiver. That money could be better spent somewhere else if you ask me. 

Sure makes one wonder if Waggoner would have stuck it out this season if he couldn't have been starting right now at WIL allowing an import at MLB.

49 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Sure makes one wonder if Waggoner would have stuck it out this season if he couldn't have been starting right now at WIL allowing an import at MLB.

Pretty sure he was a career STer and nothing more. Perhaps a rotational defensive player at best...?

Either way, management should've addressed this deficiency in the off-season but chose to stand pat with sub-par talent. That partly explains why the results on D this season are mirroring the one previous.

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Pretty sure he was a career STer and nothing more. Perhaps a rotational defensive player at best...?

Either way, management should've addressed this deficiency in the off-season but chose to stand pat with sub-par talent. That partly explains why the results on D this season are mirroring the one previous.

"Stand Pat" is subjective. They brought in players to compete. Likely just didn't turn out the way they had hoped. You can't know how a player will do in the CFL until they are herr learning the game/play book etc etc. I also have a feeling Knox has been a bit more of a let down then they are letting on.

Edited by Bigblue204

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

"Stand Pat" is subjective. They brought in players to compete. Likely just didn't turn out the way they had hoped. You can't know how a player will do in the CFL until they are herr learning the game/play book etc etc. I also have a feeling Knox has been a bit more of a let down then they are letting on.

I meant standing pat more with respect to Hurl even being considered a worthwhile option. However, Knox was not a new addition, either. It isn't like either were entirely unknown commodities, Hurl in particular.

39 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Bowman is struggling this year, going on 33 years old, failing to stay healthy and is the highest paid receiver in the league. 

He's had an injury. He's 32 he might not be a part of a teams future but he's far from done, and I wouldn't trade for him but if they released him I'd bring him in for the rest of the season. A big phsyical YAC yard reciever would thrive in our offense.